Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Semi Newbie with X runner ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Semi Newbie with X runner ?

Hello Everyone!
I'm a newbie here at YotaTech, but I've been on other forums before.
I'm thinking about purchasing a X runner, but wanted to know the Pros/Cons of owning one.
How does the truck handle turns...auto x?
How smooth is the trans when shifting from gear to gear Upshift/downshifting?
What are some of the problems with this truck if any?
Are there mods out there for this truck, to improve any of the problem areas if any?
Can this truck carry loads like the other Tacomas?
Can the suspension be beefed up to run the truck on an auto x track?

Sorry for all the questions, but I like the looks of this truck, and I currently auto x my 91 BMW which I'll be selling soon.

TIA
Old 11-13-2005, 10:38 PM
Banned

Many of those questions can be answered simply by test driving one. maybe you should wait a little for the x-runner http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000210066012/

Last edited by Localmotion; 11-13-2005 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Contributing Member

To be honest, beside one or two active members on here, I don't think anyone owns an X-Runner, so you won't get a good opinion on this forum. We are more into hardcore off-roading than speed. The X-Runner is a VERY capable truck and you could sure build it up for auto-x, but your best bet would be a test drive and finding a forum that is a bit more race inclined.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pm 4Runnin'Freak, he just bought one about a month ago.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:29 PM
Contributing Member

You can head on over to customtacos.com and toyotanation.com as well. Welcome to Yotatech though!
Old 11-14-2005, 03:22 AM
Contributing Member

A thread of interest...
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...hlight=xrunner
Old 11-14-2005, 05:04 AM
Contributing Member

Unless you're goping to get practical use out of the truck part of the X-Runner you should just buy a real sports car and mod that for track use IMO.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Thrlls
Hello Everyone!
I'm a newbie here at YotaTech, but I've been on other forums before.
I'm thinking about purchasing a X runner, but wanted to know the Pros/Cons of owning one.
How does the truck handle turns...auto x?

I am in looove with the handling... I am overtaking my friends BMW 330I in corners, but I still have a bum leg, so I can't shift fast enough to beat him, but I think it can.

How smooth is the trans when shifting from gear to gear Upshift/downshifting?

It isn't the best trans, and has some known grinding issues if you try to shift fast. I let a guy drive it who has had manuals for his whole motoring life, and he has grinded 3rd and 5th. Sometimes it's tough to get into 1st when downshifting.

What are some of the problems with this truck if any?

I am in an internet cafe with a free/slow connection (I don't drink coffee or eat pastry) but check out the XRunner section on www.CustomTacos.com There is a problem with the synchros in the trans, thin paint, tire treads cracking, and the brakes being sub-par and have drums in the rear.

Are there mods out there for this truck, to improve any of the problem areas if any?

Short shifter is available from www.URDUSA.com for a little more that $100. S/C is supposed to be in the works with talk of 400 HP and maybe a twin turbo setup. Check out www.CustomTacos.com for some more info. TRD and Stoptech/URD and Rotora have a big brake kit. TRD can be dealer installed.

Can this truck carry loads like the other Tacomas?

No. I just had 8 sheets of MDF in the truck yestreday and it was fine though.

Can the suspension be beefed up to run the truck on an auto x track?

The suspension is already beefed up and handles like a "sports" car in my opinion. I don't have much info as the only suspension mods being done are drops. The regular Tacos with the auto trans are faster since they can shift faster.

If I could, I would buy one or two of each color. It's great, and I love mine. There are some issues that need ot be worked out, but they will more than likely be covered under warranty. The trannie synchro problem is a known issue, but may take some time to get Toyota to step up to the plate.
Interior quality can be better... speakers rattle, some trim pieces are not lined up, but they are asembled in America, so that may account for some loss of quality control.
Make sure you test drive one first... You'll probably leave with it There are no real options and no price haggling on 2006's. I tried to get some floor mats and the bed mat and shift knobs for free, and they would not budge.
I had to pay MSRP, they said since I went over the net to buy the truck, I would avoid the $5,000 over MSRP they were trying to get for it.

I would still but another one, two, three...And I don't like much attention, so I feel kinda weird driving around and people asking what it is and all kinds of questions.

Any more, shoot me a PM or ask away... I'll be happy to answer what I can.

Sorry for all the questions, but I like the looks of this truck, and I currently auto x my 91 BMW which I'll be selling soon.

TIA

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 11-14-2005 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Localmotion
Many of those questions can be answered simply by test driving one. maybe you should wait a little for the x-runner http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000210066012/

The S/C "used" on that isn't CARB approved, and wasn't even a working model, just a cast of the housing.

There a re a few threads on CustomTacos about it with pics. Search "SEMA".

URD is supposedly working on a twin turbo setup.