Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Semi-new and have questions about 22r-tec.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Semi-new and have questions about 22r-tec.

Hi,
First ?:
I have been wanting to buy a toyota for a long while, been searching and searching.. I can't seem to find any good 22r-tec trucks for a decent price.
Should I just buy a nice truck with a 22re in it and slap (yes I know there is more work than just slapping, I figure some kicking too =P) a turbo kit in it? or should I wait forever?

Second ?: is the 22r-tec alot more powerful than the 22r/22re trucks? I used to own a 86 22r truck and man going over a bridge in that thing or steep inclines was like the most pathetic thing ever up = 40mph down = 95 mph.. Does the 22r-tec cure that problem? or atleast a little bit?

Third ?: What parts are and aren't interchangable between the 22r/re and the 22r-tec? I figure the internals have to be a little different because I assume the turbo motor has lower compression.. but if I bought say a master rebuild kit for a 22re would those parts work for the 22r-tec motor?

I appreciate any info that anyone can give me, there's not a whole lot of stuff out there about these motors. I DID try searching for info on the forum so plz no "Use the search button newb!" replys. =)
Thanks,
Lanny
Old 03-27-2005, 10:15 PM

I did find one truck that I really wanted but I didn't have enough time to ask the bank about a loan for it because of work.
Only downfall on this whole truck is that is was an automatic... other than that it was EXACTLY what I am looking for.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4534901783
Old 03-27-2005, 10:55 PM

i belive that the turbo 22re engines had oil return passages tapped into them for the turbo,and mabey a lower compression, but not sure on that one, would have to ask someone that knew more about it,

i have never personally drove or ridden in a turbo toy, so i cant comment on power, but i know that the last 22re i built had enough power to go up hills in 5th gear at 70 with 32's on it, the same hills i had to take in 4th at 65 and slowing on stock tread,

you can make the 22re a not so gutless engine.
wade
Old 03-28-2005, 01:07 AM
Banned

the stock turbo only has around 30-40 more hp than the regular carbed 22r .... i say 30-40 because i forget what the figures are...
Old 03-28-2005, 07:38 AM

Mine is mint at 44k. Just stock but this baby can fly. I personally wouldnt want any more power however i live in the flat Central Valley. Good mpg also. The turbo light rarely comes on when i drive.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:51 AM

youve got to remember that 'only 30 - 40 more hp' is a huge amount on a 4cyl that takes a cam intake and exhaust mods to just get 10rwhp. If i was to do my rebuild again it would be with a 22rte. Id honestly hold out till you find what you're looking for. the only complete turbo kit offered is very bling and very expensive. you can try to build your own from ebay, the parts come up every few months, and put it on a 22re rig. that might be the best way if youre striking out on finding a complete turbo truck.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:05 PM

Should you wait for a turbo or just buy a 22re, thats going to have to depend on how patient you feel like being and my depend on how fast you can act when you find one. I started activly looking for a turbo truck last summer and just bought one this past january, so took me 6-8 months to find one locally in the price range I wanted, in fact I only found one other that was a bit more then I wanted to spend in that time. For me I had the money put away and when this one popped into the car ads on Friday I looked at it on Sat and bought it on the spot, during the time test driving it and doing paperwork the people got several other calls of people wanting it.

Is it more powerful than a standard 22re? Its got nice power, noticable over a standard 22re, but if all you are looking for is a little more power for hills, acceleration, ect you may be just as well of getting the 22re and just building it a bit. For myself, I wanted a turbo truck with 5spd for several reasons, couple of which because I plan to build this truck extensively and wanted the 22rte to build up along with the r151f tranny that only came in the manual turbos.

As for whats interchangable? I will have to defer on that as I have not really researched that nor know from experience. I do know the turbos run much lower comperresion ratio which is do to the pistons and also possibly the head. The block is drilled for an additional oil passage, myself personally I wouldn't us a turbo rebuild for a standard 22re, but if I were to rebuild an engine to convert to turbo I would be putting in forged pistons, better gaskets, ect to be able to push up the boost.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:21 PM

Well I own a 1993 Mazda Rx7 which is a twin turbo. Since I've had this car I realized that every car that I have needs a turbo, the power is crazy. I know that making a non-turbo into a turbo is a pretty big PITA but I'm also used to cars with absolutely no room under the hood to work with. I wanted to get a fuel-injected toyota and turbo charge it anyways when I realized that they ACTUALLY did the hard part for me. The toyota 22r-tec motor I believe has a compression of about 7.23:1 which is pretty damn low and they experience alot of turbo lag from what I hear.
But what I was thinking is, I throw a garrett t04 turbo on there or a t3/t4 (most common for honda civic turbos, large powerband also) keep the compression the way it is but upgrade to forged pistons, put a mild cam in it like the D.O.A. 270 cam (I think that's the one) port and polish the heads and rebuild the whole motor, this setup combined with larger injectors and a aftermarket fuel system/pump should make easy 210ish HP to the wheels with tuning and bolt ons. Which 210 hp on a truck that is originally used to say 115hp to the wheels would be outrageous and the fuel economy would probably still be better than a stock chevy pickup.
I've been searching for the rebuild kits but the ones that I know will work for the 22r-tec on LC engineering are like 850 bucks which is a little outrageous compared to the ever-famous E-bay kit for 299 buy it now but I don't know if the E-bay ones will work.
If I was to do add a turbo to a 22re I would definetly use the oil pan to tap and make the oil return line, because that hole in the block thing is dangerous if you screw up. block = 200-700 bucks (used) oil pan = bout 50 bucks brand new. Sounds reasonable.
But, the bottom end of a 22r is like the most indestructable out of any engine ever made.
P.S. I jumped topics ALOT in this posting, but I'm just trying to get it down fast cause I just got off work and need a shower but don't want to forget it. Keep in mind I might just be talking out of my butt.

Last edited by LannyRx7; 03-28-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:18 PM

love to the wankel.

i dont think any stock compression for any motor is that low. the rte is around 8.3:1 if i remember right but really am not positive. sence you are familiar with turbo systems then go with a home grown unit. tap the pan, run a standard t3 (22r's have a redline of 5500rpm so your power band is going to be wasted with a t3/4) off of a stock turbo exhaust manifold if you can find one. run it though a simple intercooler (stock rx7 intercoolers on ebay go for $5 - $30 and could fit pretty well), run forged plugs, arp bolts play with a good cam and some porting, dont bother with bigger valves unless you need a valve job, and hit the fuel system and flash the computer. at low boost you will easily top 200rwhp, step it up to 10 - 12 - 15psi and youre giving 5.0's a surprise on the street.

...in my opinion.

Last edited by sefus; 03-28-2005 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:20 AM

What's a forged plug?
Old 03-29-2005, 04:41 PM

Think he meant forged pistons.

Well I got an intercooler picked out 18x9x3 think it flows 700 cfm (might be wrong), I think those dimensions will fit in front of the radiator behind the grill. Might have to relocate something (windshield washer fluid tank?) to run the pipes but it will look very clean and be efficient.

The red line on the trucks is 5500 rpm... glad you said that, my old one didn't have a tach. so I just figured it was around 6-6.5k. I guess it would be better to go with just a straight t3 something pretty small that boosts at around 1800rpm.ish? They just seem so damn small though.

I was planning on running something like a Apex'i AFC for fuel managment it's like a piggyback mod for the stock computer and I believe (don't quote me) that they are universal. If anyone has ANY idea on what a good FMU for a turbo toyota truck is PLEASE let me know. What I really want is just something simple that isn't going to have wires running all over the place, because I can hook up radios all day long but if you stick more wires than that in front of me I'll be lost. The fuel system/computer is going to be one of my biggest problems.

Sure wish I was an expert with this but 98% of the time I feel like I have no idea what a turbo even is, much less how to do a conversion.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:43 PM

And isn't a t3/t4 somewhere close to the same size as the stock dsm turbos? (Mitsu Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser) I know they make pretty decent power on those little engines.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:22 PM

A DSM comes stock with a Mitstubishi 14B. A t3/t4 is a series of Garrett turbos that range in all sizes. I have a hybrid on my Laser which is a Mitsu/Garrett combined. Uses a mitsu exhaust housing hogged out to fit a .76 ar turbine with a garrett T04E compressor housing(3inch inlet) and a 50 mm compressor wheel aka "50 trim". Anyone lost yet .
Old 03-30-2005, 01:12 PM

yea ya know i gots the bling forged freeze plugs, came with a discount when i bought my muffler bearings. Geeze yes a piston is refered to as a 'plug' sometimes. the 5500rpm limit is kinda sucky. thats the limit for the block and crank to not meet up and take a walk together out side the vehicle. im sure you can rev to whatever you'd like to...once. My power was still climbing verically on the dyno at 5500 but for preservation sake, i keep mine under 5000 at the extreme.

you might want to do a yahoo group search for 22rte. i think they have a community web forum filled with some pretty knowledgeable dudes.

Last edited by sefus; 03-30-2005 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:17 PM

here it is:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/22RTE-Trucks/
Old 03-30-2005, 04:11 PM

sweet... thanks for the link. Hopefully they won't call me a n00b.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a couple of 22rte engines I could get for you at a good deal, some with a truck around it. PM me

Oh and if you haven't driven one before they really move, it is most impressive.

Last edited by phorunninduke; 03-30-2005 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

buy a 22re truck cheap and drop a 7MGTE in it, triple your HP for probably around the difference in price. This of course assumes you have the motivation and means to do the swap

the 22ret is still just a 4cyl . . .

Last edited by NCSU-4runner; 03-30-2005 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:26 PM

I've done trans (auto to man) swaps on things but I'm not confident enough to do motor swaps... it seems when you swap something it just never is quite right... but upgrading is different, imo. Don't think I haven't pondered on the supra motor though. =)
Old 05-28-2006, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by sefus
yea ya know i gots the bling forged freeze plugs, came with a discount when i bought my muffler bearings. Geeze yes a piston is refered to as a 'plug' sometimes. the 5500rpm limit is kinda sucky. thats the limit for the block and crank to not meet up and take a walk together out side the vehicle. im sure you can rev to whatever you'd like to...once. My power was still climbing verically on the dyno at 5500 but for preservation sake, i keep mine under 5000 at the extreme.

you might want to do a yahoo group search for 22rte. i think they have a community web forum filled with some pretty knowledgeable dudes.
The actual red line of a 22re is 6200 rpm most just stop flowing after 5000 2 5500. i opened mine up 8deg base timing stage 3 carborated race cam and 3" exhaust from manifold to the rear with 3 chamber flowmaster "no cat". loud and revs like a son of a bitch. I can go 80-90 easily on the freeway with 35 inch tires and over 8 inches of lift with a roof rack. goodnight guys!!

Quick Reply: Semi-new and have questions about 22r-tec.