Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Scratch Removal?

Old 07-16-2003, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scratch Removal?

Well, I've made my trip from MA to home in my new '97 4runner successfully. I need to know what the best product or products I need to get to remove some of the scratches on it. I've got quite a few with one including a key mark the entire right side. I've heard of rubbing compounds, and other wax products, but I'm interested in what you guys have found to be the best to work on darker colors.

Thanks for the help,

Chris
Old 07-16-2003, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

It depends alot on how deep the scratch(s) are. If they are just through the clearcoat you can try Griots number 2 or 3 polish with their polishing pad and preferably the Porter Cable RO buffer. The number three is for any spiderwebs or swirls you may have picked up.

They also have a number 1 polish for deeper scratches but if the scratch is through the clearcoat AND paint you'll probably need some touchup sticks/paint as well.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:05 PM

I just was going to post an exactly same question as Chris!

So, if the scratch is very light, just through clearcoat, Griots number 3 would work the best, correct? Also, what's the good place to purchase Griots?

Thank you,
-- Andrey
Old 07-16-2003, 04:21 PM
Contributing Member

This is the number 3 polish for use with the orange polishing pad and Porter Cable RO buffer. The also have the hand polish and pad that is different.
Edit: You should also take a look at Corey's detail section on his web site. I think it's under the YotaTech links. It's so good I have it booked marked at home, just not here.

Last edited by Woodbert; 07-16-2003 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

Meguire's Body Scrub works well with small scratches like from doors, shrubs and stuff. Rubbing compound works well too.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:37 PM

What about Zaino's and where can I can get a good deal on the griots?

Chris

P.S. I've got some deep ones on dark paint, so they really show up. So, number one would be best for me, right? Is this something I would do on the entire truck or just the problem areas?
Old 07-16-2003, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

How much would it cost to have somebody go around my truck and buff some of mine out. I have a BUNCH from some trail riding the previous owner did. I don't want a complete paint job cause thats some serious cash...just a good detailing of the paint and stuff?

Thx. guys!

Old 07-16-2003, 08:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ravencr
What about Zaino's and where can I can get a good deal on the griots?

Chris

P.S. I've got some deep ones on dark paint, so they really show up. So, number one would be best for me, right?
www.griotsgarage.com is the only place to get the Griots unless your in Seattle/Tacoma. Click the links in my orginal reply to go directly to their site.

Yes, the number 1 polish is for the worst/deepest scatches.

I can't help with the Zaino's. Never used it.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:17 PM

Thanks man! Should apply #1 to the whole truck or just to the scratched areas? Is there anything bad with doing the whole truck?

Chris
Old 07-16-2003, 09:48 PM
Contributing Member

ravencr,

Go to Corey's Detail Section and read the instructions Corey has.

I guess it would depend on how bad the rest of the truck is if you wanted to do the whole thing with the number 1 polish. You may want to try the number one on the bad stuff and the number 2 or 3 on the rest if you have swirls, light scratches, oxidation etc.

He also has links to all the Griots items included to get the "stop and stare" look.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:07 AM

Originally posted by 4x4Fink
How much would it cost to have somebody go around my truck and buff some of mine out. I have a BUNCH from some trail riding the previous owner did. I don't want a complete paint job cause thats some serious cash...just a good detailing of the paint and stuff?

Thx. guys!

Hey Fink. I have a touch up biz and go to dealerships. For clearcoat scratches, I sand with 1200/1500 grit and power buff with a wool cutting pad. Next, using my IMAC touchup system, we go around the whole car touching up the smallest chips to the mongo ones, scratches are filled in, not perfect (as in repainted) but our repairs are very clean and color matched. We charge the dealers 80 bucks per car. Average time is an hour, sometimes more, sometimes less. We charge private owned cars more, if it's pretty bad in need of a complete buffing, I'll colorsand all scratches, buff the whole car, final polish with the Corey-Cable and Maguires swirl remover. 150 bucks and up including paint touch up. Looks cherry and I've done quite a few for owners looking to trade in their cars and want top dollar, I also had a detail biz so I do whatever they want. Business has been great, when my wife and I crank out 9 cars in a day, we go home tired, but with a big smile. The side biz, done at my house is kool too. I'd give good deals to forum bros, but you guys are way across the pond. Call around some detail biz's and see what they charge for buffing out your scratches and detail work...I'd guess 1-2 hundred bucks. The Porter (Corey) Cable (I love mine) will not 'cut' scratches out, especially with a foam pad, maybe real minor ones. Even with my 3000 rpm he-man Dewalt grinder/buffer with wool cutting pad, some 'light' scratches don't come out with compound...have to be sanded out...and no way is the PC taking out sanding. Good luck.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:07 PM

Is the porter cable the only thing that all this stuff will work on, because my dad has a bosch orbital sander, and I was wondering if it would work too. Especially the 6" backing plate. Anybody know?

Chris
Old 07-17-2003, 01:10 PM
Contributing Member

butnut-

Thanks for the reply, I'll do some calling within the next few days.

Things around here aren't going too well...my dog got hit and killed by a truck Monday night. I'm still dealing with that and then the details of how we want him "taken care of."

But, I will call around and see what I can come up with. Thanks man!

Old 07-17-2003, 09:17 PM

No problem Chris. Sorry to hear about your dog. Losing a family pet is like losing family.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:18 AM
Contributing Member

It's a amazing how attached you become to them...we only had him for about a year and a half. He was a stray that came up to my house when it was being built last year and he just never left. Probably because I gave him half of my Big Mac the day he came up...but he was the greatest dog.

Anyway, I'll call some people in the early part of this coming week.

Thanks man.

Old 07-18-2003, 06:46 AM

So, about scratch removal!!! So is Griots the only way to go, or does Zaino make something similar to the 1-3 Polishes of Griots?

Chris
Old 07-18-2003, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

LOL

Sorry about changing the subject on ya!
Old 07-18-2003, 07:15 AM

3M makes really good products that you should be able to find at a local auto paint supply store. Pickup some 3M Perfect-It II Fine Cut Rubbing compound and some Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover(SMR). The SMR comes in 2 flavors, 1 for dark colors and the other for light colors. The only difference between the 2 is the color of the stuff. You can use either one on any color and acheive the same results.

You should check out the Autopia website if you're not familar with it. There's tons of information there to help you, maybe too much.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:22 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Autopia is the place for detail info.
I am a member there, and they have rave reviews on the Speed Shine and other Griot's products I use.

While we eat, breathe, and talk Toyotas 24 hours a day here, they do the same over there when it comes to wax and detailing.