Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

SAWS in front, what for the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAWS in front, what for the rear?

So I'm (hopeing to be ) getting a pair of sway-away racerunners for my 97 tacoma. I will probably only adjust them for 1.5" of lift or so. I'm wondering what other taco owners have/would recomend for the rear? (I'm guessing shackles are the top tip, but we'll see).

Thanks-
Ian
Old 08-21-2004, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

Shackles would be good, but custom leaf packs would be better, IMO. Look into Deaver or Alcan.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:47 PM

I just installed a set of SAW's on my 98 Tacoma and I am running an ADD-A-LEAF in the rear with some Bilstein 5100's. Suprisingly the ADD-A-LEAF rides very well. I was originally going to go with a shackle, but I do quite a bit of hauling, so I figured an add-a-leaf would be the best choice, as it increases your load carrying capacity. Like Humanoid said, new leaf packs are the way to go, but you cant go wrong with either an add-a-leaf or a shackle.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:31 PM
Contributing Member

what about the downeys

Anyone have any experience with the Downey replacement spring packs? They look like they are a much better deal, price-wise (than the deavers and alcans), and overall the company seems to have a very positive reputation. Plus, they;ve got the shackles that the kids like so much.

Anyone know of a Deaver hompage? Or is it pretty much all through Kartek, or other companies?
Old 08-22-2004, 02:15 AM

For inexpensive complete spring replacements, I would recommend the OME (ARB product) over the Downey or NWOR packs. They ride great and they handle loads well.

With that being said, I like the Downey AAL. Don't forget to get longer rear shocks, the stock ones won't work. 5100 Bilsteins work very well.

demello-offroad.com or camburg.com for Deavers

aor4x4.com for Alcans
Old 08-22-2004, 09:05 AM

I don`t know if Downey sell them anymore but I used to use their 1" lift aluminum block for the rear of my 92 pup.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:59 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by calamaridog
For inexpensive complete spring replacements, I would recommend the OME (ARB product) over the Downey or NWOR packs. They ride great and they handle loads well.

With that being said, I like the Downey AAL. Don't forget to get longer rear shocks, the stock ones won't work. 5100 Bilsteins work very well.

aor4x4.com for Alcans
Suggestions for an online source for the OME springs? At ARB USA I've only noticed complete systems. What might I expect to pay for the OME leaves (so I know a good price when I see it). Downey's new leaf packs are a little under $200...

Thanks again
Ian
Old 08-22-2004, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by UTKtacoma
I just installed a set of SAW's on my 98 Tacoma and I am running an ADD-A-LEAF in the rear with some Bilstein 5100's. Suprisingly the ADD-A-LEAF rides very well. I was originally going to go with a shackle, but I do quite a bit of hauling, so I figured an add-a-leaf would be the best choice, as it increases your load carrying capacity. Like Humanoid said, new leaf packs are the way to go, but you cant go wrong with either an add-a-leaf or a shackle.
Which AAL are you using?

Also, De-mello recommends either the 5100's or the 7100's if one has the dough-which model #7100 would I want? How much travel? Is the best deal just at the local auto-chain (western/zone/napa/whatever) or online?
Old 10-31-2004, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by calamaridog

aor4x4.com for Alcans
Thought I'd revisit this thread, as I still haven't worked out what exactly to do. I do believe I want to go with new leaf packs, as I noticed that mine are more messed up than I realized while crawling around under the truck this afternoon (not sure when it happened, but one of the leaves on my pass side is busted).

I've been looking, and it seems that OME doesn't make a leaf pack for my tacoma (97)-I am gonna call Drive Train dot Com tomorrow and double check (maybe try and call ARB usa as well). In the mean time, does anyone have experience with the 5 leaf pack from wheelers offroad? A bit more than the Downey's, a bit less than Deavers (and probably a lot less than Alcaans).

I read a couple very negative reviews of the Downeys on TTORA, so maybe I will put them out of the running.

Thanks,
Ian
Old 10-31-2004, 08:59 PM

The 95-97's have shorter springs so you will need to do something different than OME. I would consider looking around locally and see if there is a reputable spring shop who can set you up. Worth checking the $ side of anyways.

There is also EATON springs in Detroit. They make lots of custom springs for older custom cars. http://www.eatonsprings.com/ You can call them for a price.

I have heard the NWOR springs are extremely stiff. Downey may be a better bet than NWOR, but I can't vouch for them.

Good luck!
Old 10-31-2004, 09:04 PM
Banned

from reading around here i have heard about a 50% bias on downeys seems they ahve a sag/ weakness problem... and dont offer the lift they say they do
Old 11-01-2004, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I haven't heard much good about the Downey's, which is a bummer. I'm looking into the local thing. Also, I have a good friend who lives in Denver, who, if all else fails, will pick up a complete set from the Yota Yard there and bring them back to our mutual hometown in Ohio for thanksgiving.

Anyone have any experience with the wheelers offroad springs?