Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Safety

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety

Wear your seatbelt........always prepare for the worst when driving. What a horrible preventable occurence. I am surprised the report mentioned 4Runner, usually it is just an 'SUV'.

Four killed when SUV rear tire goes flat on LA freeway
The Associated Press
Last Updated 5:50 a.m. PDT Monday, July 14, 2003
MONTEREY PARK, Calif. (AP) - A mother and her three daughters were killed when the left rear tire of their sport utility vehicle blew out on the Pomona Freeway and the SUV slammed into the center divider, hitting a signpost.
All four killed were thrown from the Toyota 4-Runner. Investigators believe the surviving passenger, 12-year-old Diana Estrada, may have been the only one wearing a seat belt, said California Highway Patrol Officer Jesse Cazares.

The accident occurred at about 5:50 p.m. Sunday when the SUV was traveling about 60 mph on the westbound freeway at Atlantic Boulevard, just east of Los Angeles. It backed up traffic for three hours and several miles.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:00 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
What a shame & loss.
I am a firm believer in seat belts.

I also wear mine even off road if I am only going 2 miles an hour up a hill, and frequently getting in and out of the rig.

Buckle up, it's the law.
It could save your life and your passengers.
If I give someone a ride somewhere, my rig doesn't go into gear unless they put their belt on.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

omg that's sad!

even worse is i'm not too far from that accident scene.... yikes! (didn't even see/hear anything about too...)

yes, i'm also a firm believer in the seat belt... even for the peeps in the back... living in LA with drivers here, you just never know...
Old 07-15-2003, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

Not only do I believe in seatbelts, I enforce the law that you MUST wear seatbelts in the State of New Jersey. People always complain when I stop them and write them for not wearing their seatbelt. My usual response is something along the lines of, wear the belt, save yourself the $44 ticket, and guess what, it may even save your life.

To all the people who insist seatbelts are to restrictive, or are firm believers that they can stop their craniums from a date with the windshield, or those who believe air bags are sufficient enough, respond with me to a double fatal on one of our highways and you'll see stuff that will have you bucklin' up just to use the toilet.

Be safe out there everyone.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

... and CA is really cracking down on it too.
"If you don't click it, you're gonna get a ticket"

That's very sad
Years ago when I was a kid I once witnessed an accident on the freeway where a woman was tossed from the car and ended up on the ground and the car rolled right over her legs.

I don't know the end result of what happened there (I was 12 and I didn't think to check the news or anything) but 14 years later and I still have a hard time putting that image away in my thoughts when I'm reminded of it.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seatbelts

i am also a firm believer in seatbelts. My step-dad taught me when i was young always to wear your seatbelt on or offroad. Did you see the pictures of the crash? It was horriable, the whole left side of 4-Runner was ripped open. "Remember of be Remembered!"
Old 07-15-2003, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Richter624
My usual response is something along the lines of, wear the belt, save yourself the $44 ticket, and guess what, it may even save your life.
Dang $44!!! That's cheap! I heard the seatbelt tickets here in Texas have gone up to $250. $250 is plenty enough to make me wear my seatbelt. I usually wear it. Sometimes I forget but quickly remember. I was brought up wearing my seatbelt. If I don't put it on, I feel naked.

A few people I know don't wear their seatbelts. It all has to do with the way you are brought up. They live out in the country and do farm stuff. If you know any farmers, you will find that most of them do not wear their seatbelts. That's just the way they were brought up. I'm not saying it's ok though.

As for my passengers, it's their choice if they want to put it on. They get the ticket not me. If they lose their lives because of it then it is their own fault. I think the people in my truck (no minors) are old enough to make that decision for themselves.

Yes it is more comfortable without a seatbelt on. If you want to increase the risk of losing your life then go ahead. I know of a guy that just recently died when he, a friend of mine, and two others were in a bad wreck. It's a sad story that involves 4 highschoolers, alcohol, and seeing how fast a truck will go. Anyways, from what I've heard, the guy that died was the only one that was not wearing a seatbelt.

Then there is those rare instances when not wearing a seatbelt has saved someone's life....

Alright, that's my $.02 on this subject.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:58 AM

A year ago this month my wife and I were on the freeway in Houston and got sideswiped by a Greyhound bus. We flipped over in the middle of the freeway and I have to say the only thing that saved my wifes life that day was her seatbelt.

She would always have to firmly tell me to buckle up. I have no problems with wearing my seatbelt anymore. Although I now have a thing against busses!

Last edited by Alimony; 07-15-2003 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by AgRunner06

As for my passengers, it's their choice if they want to put it on. They get the ticket not me. If they lose their lives because of it then it is their own fault. I think the people in my truck (no minors) are old enough to make that decision for themselves.

That's a good move. Minors are not allowed to make that decision. They must be belted in NJ.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

hey, agrunner, im surprised no one has said good thing you were wearing your seatbelt when you hit the mailbox
Old 07-15-2003, 12:52 PM

my favorite line is...

" I don't wear my seatbelt 'cos in a wreck I'd want to be *thrown clear* "---any redneck I went to High School with.

" I don't wear my seatbelt because what if there was a fire and I was trapped inside" --- more redneck logic.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

For me its just second nature to my seatbelt on. I'm also the type that feels naked without it. Besides that I'm kinda attached to my head and I don't want anything bad happening to it.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:23 PM

Seatbelts are always a good idea. I also have been brought up a belt wearer, and don't get out of the driveay unless my passanger has theirs on. Some people just don't learn... It took my friend 3 accidents to realize seatbelts were good. Luckily, he had been forced to wear his seat belt those three times. Hats off to Richter! I know its your job, but just glad to see you don't wane on that issue
Old 07-15-2003, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks. I'm a firm believer that any cop who doesn't wear his belt, shouldn't be allowed to write other people for it. Hypocracy isn't a virtue.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:45 PM

I don't wear my seatbelt because it's the law, I wear it for my own safety!
Old 07-15-2003, 07:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wait a minute! Are you not responsible for all passengers in your vehicle?? I thought that if someone in the back or front wasn't buckled I as the driver got ticketed as I am responsible for their saftey while in my ride....

I have always worn my lifebelt...

If you drive without a seatbelt you may as well be free climbing with no rope - its only a matter of time before you go 'byebye'
Old 07-15-2003, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Bumpin' Yota
wait a minute! Are you not responsible for all passengers in your vehicle?? I thought that if someone in the back or front wasn't buckled I as the driver got ticketed as I am responsible for their saftey while in my ride....
Not in Texas. Unless they are under a certain age.

Old 07-15-2003, 08:07 PM

I am a firm believer in seat belts.
Years ago, when a seat belt saved my Mom's life in an accident, everyone in the family became fast believers. Now, it just doesn't feel right to be in a car without one.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Bumpin' Yota

I have always worn my lifebelt...

If you drive without a seatbelt you may as well be free climbing with no rope - its only a matter of time before you go 'byebye'
In the state of NJ, seat belt laws for adults only pertain to front seats. For minors, they pertain to ALL seats. A juvenile MUST be belted. And... if under 80 pounds or less than 8 years of age, must be in a booster seat.

So... if you have another adult in your rig with you, if they are not wearing their belt, you will get stopped and THEY will get ticketed. We do it all the time in Jersey.

"Click it or Ticket!"
Old 07-15-2003, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

Richter624,

What kind of cop are you?

Better yet

Quick Reply: Safety