Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

S/C tranny saver...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S/C tranny saver...

I just wanted to let everyone know that had a supercharger there is a way to prolong the life of your tranny without doing the Valve Body upgrade.

You've probably seen the throttle kickdown cable on the throttle body, right? If not, it's the one further back from the actual throttle cable. If you tighten the throttle kickdown cable all the way, making sure it doesn't limit your full throttle, it will firm up the shifts in your tranny.

That cable connects to a solenoid that increases or decreases the fluid pressure in your tranny. By increasing the fluid pressure inside your tranny, it will shorten the duration of the shifts, which will lessen the heat buildup and friction caused by the clutches.

Try it, and you'll see what I'm talking about. This is a great mod (almost have to do) if you don't plan to do the Valve Body upgrade.

If you are planning on doing the valve body upgrade, you can get it done through our group buy for only $399. Check out the Thread: IPT Valve Body Group Buy!

Chris
Old 07-23-2003, 05:52 PM

Oh, I just wanted to let everyone know this would also be a good idea for stock trannies, because the shorter amount of time it takes it to shift (to a limit), the less heat buildup and clutch wear and tear.

Chris
Old 07-23-2003, 10:17 PM

What about the Trucks with NO tranny kick down cable like some 02 and all of 03 5VZ-FE motors what can we do about the tranny to shif faster.

Last edited by 03TundraTRD; 07-23-2003 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:40 PM

thats an awsome find there chris...where did you find that info out?...i think im already maxed out (due to helix power tower thinger...) maybe thats why truck shifts so fast....cool...like does it feel very sharp...esspecialy goign into high first...it feels like a big jump and head goes flying back (well not that much but yea =] )

Also chris how do i take out the fuel rails??? I hav the intake off and am trying to sperate the 2 rails but there both connected by seperate fuel lines....i tried remoing the bolt thats on the head of the right fuel line (across from FPR) but it didnt give...or am i just chicken and didnt put all my strength into it....let me know what you did....

Oh and one more thing is it ok f some gas leaks out of the injectors onto the engine and can i reuse the O-RIngs on my 370ccs?

Thanks! =] Busy guy trying to make sure i dont ÅÅÅÅ up somewhere!
Old 07-24-2003, 03:25 AM

Johnny, there is a bolt that holds the plastic cover over the wire loom for teh injectors that is located towards the rear of the vehicle on the driver's side. Undo that small bolt, and that will allow you to lift up on the fuel rail, which is held down by that plastic thing that holds the wires.

Chris

P.S. I don't know about the late model years, but I would email John at IPT. He probably knows if there's something you can do. Johnny, that's awesome your tranny is already shifting that hard. Mine sure never did that.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is a good find Chris.....thanks for sharing that!
Old 07-24-2003, 06:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Weasy2k
i think im already maxed out (due to helix power tower thinger...)
You shouldn't have moved the throttle cables at all when installing the Helix power toilet. Chris' new mod would still apply to you because the cables are still within stock tolerances.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:16 AM

for some reasn theyw ere moved a bit on mine i had to screw them all the way to the left as far as they went as the extender moved everything out...maybe it was a crappy install, but appernetly its a pritty good thing anyway =]

Thanks for help on injectors there chris, gonna try t when i get working on it tonight....hopefully i can get them working...
Old 07-24-2003, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

S/C tranny saver

I Did a valve plate upgrade on a TH350 auto box on my Camaro a few years ago. Made for rapid shifts however the downside is that if your engine and trnny mountings are a bit old then you best change them. The quick changes that the upgrade did - and this mod would probably make - means that there will be a good deal more wear on the mounts as the take up can be pretty severe.

Plus you will probably need a new set of teeth after a few months of this.

Cheers
Old 07-24-2003, 07:41 AM
Contributing Member

ravencr: Huh, I never thought of going that. I may have to give that a try. Anyone know of the side effects to doing this (if any?)
Old 07-24-2003, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

Not sure but how would this affect TQ lock-up, OD activation and shifting points???
Old 07-24-2003, 02:31 PM

ive neevr had a problem with it at all...it hink i got it the way chris mentioned...i had to because i had to extend the length of TB (Stupuid TB spacer thinger what a waste)...
Old 07-24-2003, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

Maybe the whole spacer thing works (or seems like it works) for some people because of that cable being moved? Just and expensive way to find out. Haha wouldn't that be funny.. I would worry about doing this myself because I would have no idea what I was doing. I would like to try it though, do you have any pics that can illustrate which cable you're talking about raven?
Old 07-24-2003, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Here is a pic of the Spacer installed on a 5 speed...

I have also installed the Power toilet on my old Auto, and there is no reason to move the throttle cable.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

Alright, it was just an uneducated theory. Thanks for the pic 96, but I was actually looking for a close-up pic that shows which cable I'm supposed to adjust. I don't want to jump in without being sure.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:58 PM

Ok, as far as this mod negatively effecting anything else, it's not going to happen. The degree to which the increased fluid pressure increases is not even close to enough of a difference to effect the mounts or anything else for that matter. This mod is 100% positive, and the beauty of it is that if you feel you made the shifts too firm, then loosen the wire again, and try it again until you like it. It's that simple.

As far as pictures, the cable is the one circled in red in attached picture.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails S/C tranny saver...-throttle-kickdown-cable.jpg  
Old 07-24-2003, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Toyota Punk
Alright, it was just an uneducated theory. Thanks for the pic 96, but I was actually looking for a close-up pic that shows which cable I'm supposed to adjust. I don't want to jump in without being sure.
Vince-

In theory, you could be correct. That is, if the installation involved moving the cable at all in the direction that Raven (Chris) mentions. Its all good though!
Old 07-24-2003, 04:09 PM

Weasy2k,

The way you can tell if it's already tightened up a good bit is if you see the little piece on the cable when it's just idling of off. I don't know ho to explain it, but it's a little piece on the cable that normally sits flush with the rubber piece. If it's out in the middle between the rubber piece and the throttle body, then it's already been tightened. If not, you're just like stock. Check it out and let us know what you find out.

Chris
Old 07-24-2003, 06:21 PM

ok so if your looking a the pic above that yu sent which side should most of the thread be more to the right or more to left...casue right now i have no space on the left side of the 2 nuts...sorry fro all questions...just makin sure if mines already tighten...but im takng the the spacer out anyway so i gotta adjust as soon as s/c i installed...
Old 07-24-2003, 06:25 PM

Yep, it's all the way tight! I'd keep it that for sure at least until you get the Valve Body done. Then you can probably loosen it back to the desired level of shift firmness.

Chris

Quick Reply: S/C tranny saver...