Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Respiratory problems; any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Respiratory problems; any suggestions?

You ever notice when you're driving behind another vehicle or are stopped in traffic that you can smell their exhaust even though your windows are all closed?

A simple solution would be to set the airflow to be recirculated, but suppose you want fresh air without the exhaust?

Well, on my friend's 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT, he has an air filter just for this purpose. one for the engine, and one for it's human driver!

Any suggestions on where something like this should be installed on a 93 'yota truck?

Does it already have one?

Does it just use the engine's air filter?

What's the deal here guys...
Old 10-21-2003, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member

I, too, have a somewhat sensitive repiratory system. During the fire season last year, I had to go to work wearing a painter's respirator. Riding the train was particularly interesting seeing all the people look at me. I was the only one NOT caughing, but it looked like I was ready for germ warfare.
If you are sensitive to exhaust, pollen, dust, smoke, etc., you might consider having a high-filtration dust mask in your truck. I keep a box in my cargo cabinet.

As far as your original question...no, I have not seen anything that could be adapted to the inside vent system.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

I think "fresh" grabs air from the wiper area. Not sure where recirc gets air - but if you could figure that out you could always rig something up accordingly.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:53 PM

The Subaru WRX comes standard with a replaceable HEPA air filter...
HEPA filters are widely available, just have to figure out how to mount it in the main duct in front of the blower.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:51 AM

I don't have any repiratory issues, but I dislike dust all over my camping gear. So the back of my Tacoma has a filtered pressureized blower to keep dust out of the back of my truck. Works far better than I had planned. I would think making a hepa filter unit for the rest of the truck would be doable. I did alot of work to pre-seal the back of my truck, but will help anyone who would like to do something like this.

SteveS
Old 10-22-2003, 08:06 AM

Start with your local Toyota dealer

I have been searching for a HEPA air filter that fits my '98 4Runner for quite sometime already. My local Toyota dealer carries a brand of HEPA air filter but none fits my 4R (only the most recent models).

I think an air filter is particularly important & necessary out on the roads for allergy sufferers like me.

For now, my only choice is this device: http://www.healthiemon.com/air-auto/default.asp

It does NOT filter out allergens/pollutants like a HEPA does. But it charges airborne particles negatively so that they adhere to your positively-charged dash, fabric, plastic in order to clear up your breathing zone from such allergens. I don't think it does anything to carbon monoxide but neither does HEPA. And if you don't wipe your dash clean or vacuum your upholstery frequently, the allergens can be raked up to become airborne once again. But at least your breathing zone is safe while it is in use.

Any nose, ear & throat doctor here?
Old 10-22-2003, 10:02 AM

On a similar note of fresh air, when i turn the ac on now, it stinks. Its really musty and wet smelling, like s omethings growing/livivng in the ducts. Where is the air picked up at in the cab, so that i might spray some lysol or other cleaning and good smelling thing into it. Oh yeah, i have a 97 4runner.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by runnerboy97
On a similar note of fresh air, when i turn the ac on now, it stinks. Its really musty and wet smelling, like s omethings growing/livivng in the ducts. Where is the air picked up at in the cab, so that i might spray some lysol or other cleaning and good smelling thing into it. Oh yeah, i have a 97 4runner.
The direct link to Einszett Klima Cleaner at Detailers Paradise somehow won't link up to the product but it has gotten great reviews on other boards so you might try this product.

-Stu.