Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Replace Starter

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace Starter

Hello everyone,

The Starter in my 98 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4 is bad and I would like to replace it but I'm not sure how hard is it for the v6 and 4x4? Can anyone give me some subjection and steps to replace it or video?
Old 09-25-2014, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Newby
Hello everyone,

The Starter in my 98 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4 is bad and I would like to replace it but I'm not sure how hard is it for the v6 and 4x4? Can anyone give me some subjection and steps to replace it or video?
First, are you sure it's not just the solenoid contacts? They can be replaced for about $20 and then your factory Denso is good for another 16 years. Swap it for a cheap reman alt and you will have thrown out a superb piece of equipment and will be doing the same thing again in two years.

I have DIY's for the 4Runner only so I'll let somebody else help with that.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by TheDurk
First, are you sure it's not just the solenoid contacts? They can be replaced for about $20 and then your factory Denso is good for another 16 years. Swap it for a cheap reman alt and you will have thrown out a superb piece of equipment and will be doing the same thing again in two years.

I have DIY's for the 4Runner only so I'll let somebody else help with that.

I don't know but every time I turn the Engine on, a loud noise is coming at the same time the Engine is on and then it's gone right after that. The truck runs fine and no noise after that. I asked my friend and he said the problem is the Starter, that's why I said that. Where is the Solenoid located and how hard to replace it?
Old 09-25-2014, 12:12 PM

The starter on a 1998 Tacoma V6 is on the passenger side of the engine, down low where it's difficult to remove and service.

But it CAN be done! What you need to do is search this forum, the Tacoma World Forum, the TTORA forum, and lieblweb.com for a write-up on this. There are several - I used one a few years ago.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Newby
I don't know but every time I turn the Engine on, a loud noise is coming at the same time the Engine is on and then it's gone right after that. The truck runs fine and no noise after that. I asked my friend and he said the problem is the Starter, that's why I said that. Where is the Solenoid located and how hard to replace it?
No, that doesn't sound like a contacts problem. The solenoid is part of the starter on these Densos. You have what was once called a Bendix problem...starter is not either not engaging correctly or not disengaging correctly after doing it's job.

I'd still look into rebuilding your old one before using it as a core swap on a reman, if it's a factory Denso.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pipsisiwah
The starter on a 1998 Tacoma V6 is on the passenger side of the engine, down low where it's difficult to remove and service.

But it CAN be done! What you need to do is search this forum, the Tacoma World Forum, the TTORA forum, and lieblweb.com for a write-up on this. There are several - I used one a few years ago.

I found it and it is on the passenger side as you said. I need to know how can you drop/take it out when you unbolt the two bolts that hold it to the engine?
Old 09-26-2014, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by TheDurk
No, that doesn't sound like a contacts problem. The solenoid is part of the starter on these Densos. You have what was once called a Bendix problem...starter is not either not engaging correctly or not disengaging correctly after doing it's job.

I'd still look into rebuilding your old one before using it as a core swap on a reman, if it's a factory Denso.

If I get it out, I would rebuilt due to the original one from the manufactory. How much it cost to rebuild it compare to buy a new one at the auto part?