Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
View Poll Results: What should I do for better sound?
Replace the speakers only
18.18%
Replace the stock speaks and head unit
50.00%
Replace the speaks and add more
18.18%
Buy a Walkman
13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Replace my sound system or just part of it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 05:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace my sound system or just part of it?

I'm hoping you guys can help me out here. I have a JBL sound package in my truck. It has the rear audio thing for back seat passengers to listen to another station with the wireless headsets. I like this and would like to keep it if possible. I am not real happy with the quality of the whole system. The other day I took my daughter and her friend to Orlando, about 4 hours north of us. They put a DVD in a portable player I have. I had the sound going through the stereo system and in the rear of the truck it sounded like ˟˟˟˟˟. My rear speaks stink. I don't crank the volume all of the time, but I'd like to be able to without that much distortion. What do you think I should replace?
Old 08-01-2003, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless you can get a great package deal I'd say take baby steps and only replace one thing at a time. Stop when you get the sound you want or run out of $, whichever comes 1st.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:18 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree

I am currently updating my lamo factory sound system but can't afford to lay down a HUNK of change all at one time, the wife would kill me, so I am doing it piece by piece, as I can afford it, so she won't notice this big change all at once! It is the same thing she does by buying a new dress and putting it in her closet for six weeks then wearing it, she thinks I'll think it is not new...but I am wise...I use the force!

I would recommend JL speakers, since most 4Runners have components in the front and just plain ole two ways in the back. A subwoofer or two is a must for true great sound!

Be patient my son, use the force!
Old 08-01-2003, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

hey best buy is having a special two 12 inch rockford subs, in a box, and a 900W rockford amp to go with it for $300. basically their giving you the box for free, and cutting the price of the subs by like $20. I thik if you went individually you could probably get a better system, for a little bit more money.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

How does your system sound normally?? No DVD player plugged in...A lot of times those DVD players need grounds run to get decent quality. I would try a ground loop before blowing big bucks.

You are going to have a hard time replacing much of anything besides the door speakers...I dont know what the new head units are, but if its anything like the old ones..its HIGHLY suggestive to replace that before adding amps and subs to get quality sounds. BUT, you will lose your dual tuner (for rear seat) capabilities most likely.

Good door speakers make a world of a difference though. So if it sounds like crap w/ a CD in...replace the door speakers first.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:56 PM
Contributing Member

Cool, thanks for the input. Stereo systems aren't my thing and I appreciate the advice.

As of right now, I am planning on replacing the factory speaks with MBQuartz everything. Maybe Eclipse subwoofers in the back,2x12" and a Rockford Fosgate Amp.

My rear seat audio controls and headphones will continue to work. Thats kind of a bonus especially when making a road trip (everyother weekend for me).

PoBoy: Those are definitely the first to go! When having the speakers installed, I will also have them use Dynemat Xtreme on the doors while they're in there. I'm doing the cargo area next weekend with a combo of Brown Bread and Dynamat Xtreme. The guy at the sound shop told me I could keep my head unit and get decent sound with the doors matted and new speakers including an amp and subs in the back. You guys think thats right.?
He said if I want even better sound later I could replace the HU but lose the rear audio thing!

Great Sytem or a Supercharger and a ton of accessories.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

Speakers and a supercharger. You don't seem to be the type to want to blow the car next to your's windows out.... thats what it would be able to do with that setup... All you need is something like an infiniti bass link to get those lower frequencies that the mids can get, then replace the speakers with some good ones, like MB Qs... If your still not satisfied then get an external amp for the speakers, but I think the first two should do it. The dynomat won't do much except stop rattles and keep road noise out. If you get the huge subs in the back it will help keep that bass in and the road noise out, but again... how hardcore are you gonna go? Get an S/C... or... thats just my .02...
Good luck!
Old 08-01-2003, 06:36 PM

Amplifier

Well if I were to do my sound system again, I'd do less bass and better sound quality. I'm the guy that you pull up next to and make your windows rattle... I don't think just replacing the speakers will solve your problem to your liking. I'd say get an amplifier. I you want to go all out get a 5-channel amplifier and power all 4 speakers and then be ble to add a subwoofer later if you're not satisfied. The 2003's have 6x9's in the front so that's why you have more mid-bass in front. Definately go with quaity over volume. I chose the latter thinking it wold be fun, and it it but I always seem to regret not choosing the former.

Zach
Old 08-02-2003, 03:44 AM
Contributing Member

No, I am not the type that wants to cruise around thumpin'. I do however want a clear and capable system, I think that I should use a combination of what you guys are telling me. I do want quality but probably should not overkill the thing. I'll do the speaks and that linky thing T-ale mentioned.
I definitely want my cash going towards performance more than I want to throw it after a sound system.

Thanks for the help!
Doug
Old 08-02-2003, 06:34 AM

I'd replace the speakers and then the AMP(s). I like the flush, stock look of the OEM head.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:00 AM

I'm installing an aftermarket head unit and single 12inch. I'm really not into the deep base but more of a mid to midlow range. I know our stock speakers are small and im worried it might sound like the 70s big'ol component system that ppl used to use mainly for base if you guys know what i mean. Would upgrading the stock speakers help?
Old 08-05-2003, 05:22 AM
Banned

I have a single 10" sub on a 100W amp and I'm really pleased with the sound. Nothing "heavy", but enough to really enjoy the difference.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:39 AM

I have to add a vote for upgrading the speakers first.

Ditto on the dynamat/brown bread/RAAMat suggestions.

I took my stock stereo a long way with three amps, all new component speakers and a killer customer sub enclosure before I finally replaced the HU.

I plan on doing the same thing with the '03

As for component speakers, spend some time auditioning. Some of the big names are great but there is a lot of choice out there and you want to establish where the Car Audio store gets the biggest margin.

Here is my take on Components

* JL Audio - Smooth Sounding, good power handling

* JBL - a little brash

* MBQUART - Loud but coarse unless you drop a ton of money
- Seemed to be aimed at the Boom/tiss crowd

* Boston - Beautifully made, lacking in mid range, audition well but big holes when you play real music

* Polk - Some good one here, all down to your ear

Here are some you may not have heard of

* Diamond Audio - The S600 Hex series hands down blow everyhing else away but we are talking $500 for a set

- The M661's are nice, adjustable xover, not quite as smooth as the HEX but can be had for under $250

* CDT - American component company gets killer reviews.
- The Zeb always have good deals, probably the best speakers you have never heard of

Finally, as for sub's, I ran a single L7 8" (the square one from Kicker ) in a customer .5 cu ft enclosure that replaced the rear cuddy. With a little over 600 watts that thing produced accurate tight bass that could make your ears bleed inside if you wanted BUT not rattle the tag and sound like crap outside the truck.

Its down to you if you want decibels or SPL but spend some time. I am looking for some Diamond Hex's fro the front of my '03...

PM me if you have specific questions,

David

Last edited by nrgetic99; 08-05-2003 at 05:41 AM.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:22 AM

Replace sound system or...

Distortion comes in many forms - in other words, it does not necessarily have to be as a result of poor speaker quality. It could be as a result of the DVD player or a wire that is grounded and shouldn't be or any number of things. Does the distortion go away when you lower the bass level ? Is it distorted at all volume levels? Is the the distortion in just the rears and not the fronts? Is the distortion such that your sound is completely unintelligible?(sp?) Is it distorted with all components (cd, cassette, radio, etc)? I don't know what your level of expertise is and I don't what to insult you, but these are questions that come to my mind.

I am surprised that the stock JBL's sound crappy. I say this because in the world of pro audio JBL is a highly regarded name. I say this because my stereo was stolen last year (head,4 ch amp,10 disc x-er, double 12 sub) and when I put the stock radio back in I was surprised at how good it sounded - I had never listened to it - put the stuff in as soon as I bought the rig.

I am just offering food for thought so please don't be insulted.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:07 AM

E - none of the above

I 'd add an amp and sub. Even if deep bass isnt your thing, a little more bass than what the factory system has makes for a great improvement.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:09 AM

First let me say that I'm not posting this to say you guys are wrong to replace stock. I thought this was a validation for us who like the JBL

Anyway, you guys will have an even better system upgrading the stock JBL and you can tell everyone that even the stock JBL blows other suv's out of the water.

2004 4Runner Stereo Evaluation

System Score: 9.0

Components: A center channel speaker and a subwoofer in a truck? What is this world coming to? The available 10-speaker, 360-watt JBL "Synthesis" upgrade is a good example of how factory stereo systems are starting to catch up to the aftermarket. Along with the treats mentioned above, it comes with tweeters in the top of the front doors and large midbass speakers below them, medium-size speakers in the back doors and two more tweets in strange pods near the tailgate window. Unfortunately, the optional DVD-based navigation system involves a motorized touchscreen display that must be opened to load a tape or CD (and you better hit the "Close" button or the volume knob will be trapped and you won't be able to see the screen). Steering wheel-mounted buttons and available rear-seat audio controls with remote control and wireless headphones help make up for the annoying head unit.

Performance: The head unit may be a setback, but the sound produced raises the bar for midsize SUVs. A subwoofer dedicated to the bump-and-rumble tones, tweeters in four corners and powerful midrange speakers paint a pretty picture, and the driver in the middle of the dash adds lots of color. People in the front seats get treated to a waterfall of sound reflecting off the windshield with strong bass from the doors and the cargo area along with a sprinkling of highs from the rear of the cabin (but that's all the folks in the backseat get — reflected highs). This can be nearly overwhelming with thickly produced songs, but it's usually a good thing, especially with live recordings. Pop in Tool's Opiate EP and the Synthesis audio system shines during the heavy workout. Vocals are warm and powerful, while the drums are very strong without overriding guitar licks. The complex feedback and subtle string play of Sonic Youth often become mud in factory speakers, but every note on the band's latest album, Murray Street, is given room to breathe thanks to the various speakers devoted to particular frequencies (especially the center channel). When pushed to teenage volumes, the amplifier begins to show wear, making cymbals crash, then splinter, causing one rapper to sound like he had a sore throat (although the bass didn't crack!). This was not apparent at more dignified decibel levels.

Best Feature: The bass — oh, what a feeling!

Worst Feature: Touchscreen controls are more suited for ATMs than dashboards.

Conclusion: "Blind spot" mirrors in the cargo area are replaced by tweeters if you choose the JBL Synthesis upgrade, but you won't miss them. Hopefully, this audio system is a sign of things to come in the midsize-SUV segment. — Trevor Reed
Old 08-06-2003, 03:10 AM

My Experience with a 2002

I realize the subject pertains to a 2003 4R. I am not a hardcore audiophile; the heaviest music I play is usually Eric Clapton, The Eagles, Moody Blues, lots of Country, etc.

I replaced my stock speakers with Infinity Reference Series high efficiency speakers (6.5", 5.25", 1") and then added the Infinity BassLink just a few days ago. I finally have the BassLink (w/ 200W internal amp) dialed in and I am not using but 1/3 of what this thing can produce. I want fill-in sound to add body to the overall sound and that is exactly what the sub offers. I personally think the sound is excellent now; however, the only thing I would want more of is midrange but I do not know what I would have to do for that. I also think I would have tried to fit 6.5" speakers in the rear doors if I had it to do over again.

I am using the stock 6-CD head unit, which has an external amp as part of the OE system, and I have the bass, midrange and treble level controls at just about neutral (B-1,M+1, T+2…I like my highs <g>) positions. This means to me that the Infinity Reference Series speakers are very well matched to the system; I do not have to compensate for what they are lacking. I think the BassLink unit is a really fine piece and allows a lot of versatility. I have it on long leads (3') and then I attached Velcro to aluminum cross bars on the legs so that I can move it around in the luggage compartment, but it will not slide around on its own. The clarity of my system astounds me. On the subwoofer thread I started I said that I would be happy to lend assistance to anyone wanting to do an install like mine. My offer still stands and I have pictures to aid in explanation if so desired.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:27 AM

I posted this before, but it's been awhile. Anyway, replaced factory speakers in '03 dbl cab with infinity ref, 6800cs in front and 6802cf in back. First, they don't quite fit, the holes in the baskets don't line up with the holes in the toyota factory adapters. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is a pain. In front, I hogged out the holes in the baskets to make them fit factory adapters. In the back I made new adapters out of 3/4" mdf.

I have the tweeters in the factory location, wired to the -3db out on the xover, with a 2ohm resistor in series, and it is STILL too bright/harsh. Wish I had been able to demo these tweets before I bought them (got a killer deal, though). I actually like the rear 6x8 coaxes better than the front components, better ballance.

Bottom line, it is a nice improvement, wish I had different tweets, but it'll do for now, especially considering what I have in it.

Good luck,
John