Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Replace AC compressor worth paying a shop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace AC compressor worth paying a shop?

I took my 2000 4Runner into the shop to diagnose a winding up/down sound that corresponded to RPMs and I was told it was an AC idler pulley. I had them replace the pulley since it was already in the shop and they called me back later to say they got it wrong and instead the AC compressor is bad. They are not charging me for the diagnosis or the pulley and have removed the belt so nothing can be damaged. They quoted me a bit over $900 to replace the compressor, dryer, and service the AC system.

This seems like a lot so I am tempted to try replacing the compressor myself. It sounds like I will need to take it to a shop to have the old coolant removed and for the recharge anyway so I wonder if it's worth it to attempt any of it myself. I guess I need to see how much each part of that $900 job breaks down. Has anyone else done this on their own? Any cost-saving tips?

Another job that needs doing is the valve seals, plugs, and gaskets. The shop mentioned they charge around $550 for that one. That job seems invasive but not technically hard assuming nothing goes wrong.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
buy your own compressor, install it and take it in to recharge it. You can take it in prior and have them evacuate all your 134 so you dont have to but all new

I bought a Denso off Amazon for CHEAP under the used section. It was BRAND NEW but someone must have ordered the wrong one and returned it. I think it was $58.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:28 PM

thanks for the info

I will have to see what the cost breakdown is. I'm not sure what the savings would be if I still had to take it in before and after for the drain and recharge. I guess I would save on the labor of removing and installing the compressor at least. Is the Denso what the 4Runner uses or at least an equivalent model? I don't really feel the need to buy all premium parts since the truck is 16YO already. I am in Tucson so AC is important, however.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2016, 12:01 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If you go cheap on AC parts you may as well leave it broke.

Most likely your paying list price for all the parts plus labor.

Are these your go to people and you have used them for ever??

I would think AC work in that area would be very competitive shop around
Old 01-07-2016, 06:55 AM

I think a lot of the cost is labor to do the flush and recharge but I didn't get a breakdown. I need to shop around. This is my go-to shop that I have always used. They are honest and do good work only on Toyota/Lexus at a price cheaper than the dealer. I'm sure there are places that would do the AC service cheaper than them though. I'll call around and compare.

Thanks

Originally Posted by wyoming9
If you go cheap on AC parts you may as well leave it broke.

Most likely your paying list price for all the parts plus labor.

Are these your go to people and you have used them for ever??

I would think AC work in that area would be very competitive shop around
Old 01-07-2016, 12:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The AC compressor is a PITA, IMO. It's one of the harder things to replace while the engine is in. Now, if you're mechanically inclined and have a weekend to spend on it, then by all means, save some dough. You do need it to have a proper vacuum pulled on it to pull out the moisture though. Do not skimp on that part, whatever you do.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:08 PM

Smile

hmm, I guess I thought it was relatively easy to get out based on a few videos/tutorals I looked up. I think I will just have the shop do it. Maybe they'll let me buy the part online and bring it into them. I can find an OEM compressor for ~$310 online which is about $130 less than my local dealer. I'll see what their price is

Thank you
Originally Posted by vasinvictor
The AC compressor is a PITA, IMO. It's one of the harder things to replace while the engine is in. Now, if you're mechanically inclined and have a weekend to spend on it, then by all means, save some dough. You do need it to have a proper vacuum pulled on it to pull out the moisture though. Do not skimp on that part, whatever you do.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ac work is tricky and expensive.
I would not recommend you doing it yourself unless you're experienced with how the ac system works.
You'll wind up paying twice.
Ps.....aftermarket parts are crap these days.....most shops will never wareanty any work done with parts you brought to them. I've seen people go through 2-3 aftermarket compressors before getting one thats good.
You'll also need any inline screens or filters changed and the receiver/ dryer. All are usually contaminated with metal bits after a compressor fails. Unless just the clutch went out.
Those metal bits will destroy your new compressor.

Last edited by sharrack; 01-08-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:35 AM

Thank you, it seems I just have to bite the bullet. Can't do without AC in AZ for long. I appreciate all the good advice that was provided here.

Originally Posted by sharrack
ac work is tricky and expensive.
I would not recommend you doing it yourself unless you're experienced with how the ac system works.
You'll wind up paying twice.
Ps.....aftermarket parts are crap these days.....most shops will never wareanty any work done with parts you brought to them. I've seen people go through 2-3 aftermarket compressors before getting one thats good.
You'll also need any inline screens or filters changed and the receiver/ dryer. All are usually contaminated with metal bits after a compressor fails. Unless just the clutch went out.
Those metal bits will destroy your new compressor.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:05 PM

Its a tough call but since they specialize in toyotas im sure they are using a denso compressor and plus ur paying for their warranty too. If that thing craps out just take it back. And in az where it get hot as ballz i woudlnt mess around. Get it done right and move on. $900 seems pretty fair just make sure they use a denso compressor!
Old 01-11-2016, 01:48 PM

Geez......900 bucks ! Did they explain what they are changing? Are they changing any orfice tubes or the receiver dryer ?
my quick math puts that job in the 750 area .
What is the cost of a denso unit. Is it new or rebuilt?

Last edited by sharrack; 01-11-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:19 PM

Well I never asked for the breakdown but the job includes a new OEM compressor that runs about $450 at the dealer, a new receiver dryer and the coolant evacuation and recharge/AC service. Plus there's labor for the removal and install of parts.

I also need to do the valve cover gaskets, ,plugs and wires. I'm thinking I could do that whole job based on the threads I've found and pay the shop to do the AC. At least then I'll manage to save some $$.

Originally Posted by sharrack
Geez......900 bucks ! Did they explain what they are changing? Are they changing any orfice tubes or the receiver dryer ?
my quick math puts that job in the 750 area .
What is the cost of a denso unit. Is it new or rebuilt?
Old 01-12-2016, 01:16 PM

Yea.....that adds up to about 9 bills......better off going new on the compressor. When it comes to yotas.....in many cases, autozone junk will simply not do.
They may even have to blow out the lines or flush them to remove any debris from the old compressor. Bite the bullet.......
Old 01-12-2016, 07:18 PM

Imports dont have orifice tubes they have expansion valves. Different style of metering freon. They do clog sometimes after compressor failure but usually not. The drier tends to protect it most of the time. And its under the dash and sometimes not the funnest or cheapest job to do. So just have the comp. replaced with a denso also the drier. And make sure they do clear the lines. Compressors arent cheap. And not properly installing one can ruin one real fast. So get it done and let us know how cold your a/c is afterwards.