See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Engine Problems by Symptom
Print Wikipost

REPAIR HELP - 97 4Runner Limited

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
REPAIR HELP - 97 4Runner Limited

Hi guys. I'm new here. I wondering about a few repairs the auto shop states my 1997 4Runner Limited needs. I was wondering if I could do these myself. Now I've never actually done any auto repair but I'm interested in learning. Also let me know if the price they quoted me is fair. Thanks for all your help.

1) The shop states my transmission fluid is dirty and needs to be flushed. My 4Runner has 80000 miles. Has never given me transmission problems, but I've always been good about going to scheduleds tune-ups. They want to charge me $130 for this. Can I do this myself? Is this price reasonable?

2) They state my engine is leaking and I need to change my Valve Cover Gaskets. They want to charge me $350 for this?!? I don't have that kinda of cash. I did a little research on the internet and it doesn't seem that tough to do or that expensive. Can I do this myself? Is their proce too high.

3) Also what do I need to know and have to change my oil. I'm tired of having to wait hours for the change and pay $25. I've heard this is super easy to do. Any tips? WHat supplies do I need?

Thanks All!!
Old 01-16-2005, 10:46 AM
Banned

2) They state my engine is leaking and I need to change my Valve Cover Gaskets. They want to charge me $350 for this?!? I don't have that kinda of cash. I did a little research on the internet and it doesn't seem that tough to do or that expensive. Can I do this myself? Is their proce too high.

3) Also what do I need to know and have to change my oil. I'm tired of having to wait hours for the change and pay $25. I've heard this is super easy to do. Any tips? WHat supplies do I need?

Thanks All!![/QUOTE]
hey welcome to the board

As for the valve cover gasket, i do not know, i actually need to get mine done too. for the oil change, you can look in the maintenence section and you'll find everything there. from what i understand, when you try to flush the tranny yourself, you only get about 3/16s out. its important taht you flush it when needed. if the tranny fluid is black or smells burnt, do not flush it. they say that it will make everything worse. but if its red, then your good to go. i think jiffly lube can flush trannys. hope this helps

Matt
Old 01-17-2005, 08:13 AM

Thanks.

Anyone with an opinion of the Valve Cover Gaskets?
Old 01-17-2005, 12:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The valve cover gaskets are a bit of a pain because you need to take off the top of the intake plenum to get at the passenger side valve cover. Other than that it is not really a big deal but just be sure to have a decent set of tools and all the gaskets handy to finish. Definately doable though.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:09 PM
Contributing Member

I have had my intake plenium off (to install my S/C) and it wasn't hard at all to tear that down. Valve cover gaskets are very easy to do, I am guessing the parts will cost you a max $30.

Do the transmission flush, $130 is about right. Just make sure that they aren't just doing a "drain and refill". You want the flush.

I always take the mid-skid plate off (4 bolts) when I change my oil. If not, then oil will spill all over the place. The filter is very easy to take off, just reach through the driver's side wheel well in front of the strut and its right there.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:15 PM

As for the valve cover gasket, i do not know, i actually need to get mine done too. for the oil change, you can look in the maintenence section and you'll find everything there. from what i understand, when you try to flush the tranny yourself, you only get about 3/16s out. its important taht you flush it when needed. if the tranny fluid is black or smells burnt, do not flush it. they say that it will make everything worse. but if its red, then your good to go. i think jiffly lube can flush trannys. hope this helps

Matt
DON'T FLUSH!!!
Stay away from Jiffy-Boob! They will only mess up more stuff. If you need the tranny fluid changed, you can do it yourself or take it to a reputable garage. But most times, if not all you don't need a flush but simply a filter and fluid change. Do a search on this; there is a magnet on the pan that needs to be cleaned and a filter that should be exchanged, along with new correct fluid. A flush is a last-ditch effort to save a tranny going south. If the flush machine was not cleaned properly after last use (on a dirty tranny with lots of shards probably) then your tranny will accumulate all of the debris, leading to premature failure. Don't flush!

Oil changes are easy. If you are looking for oil discussions, go to the The Oil Drop; the discussions may be over your head but just be a reader there and always remember to search, but don't be afraid to ask!

Taking the truck to another shop isn't a bad idea for a second opinion. But you should learn where your valve cover gaskets are and take a look. Is there oil residue and signs of leakage? Most shops are honest but there are bad ones too.

Oh yeah, welcome!

Last edited by Georgia4Runner; 01-17-2005 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

If you do change your own oil, you might find it easier to lower both skidplates as a single unit. Personally, I think it is easier to find the coupons and get it done for $19.00 than it is to do it yourself. I commend you for wanting to do a lot of this yourself. I am trying to get a more "hands-on" approach as well, but oil changes are more cost effective when you have the pros do it. That is my opinion.

Welcome to the forum!

-Sherpa
Old 01-18-2005, 12:34 PM

Hi, I JUST bought a 1997 4Runner Limited today also. It has 135,000 miles on it so I'm wondering if I should do the same. Should I change the timing belt as well? The tranny shifts fine so I dont know if its necessary. If there is an A+ Transmission in your area, I believe they do a free checkup on your tranny. The one down by my house in Houston offers free change of oil and filter. I also heard Jiffy Lube has a good pump system though I've never been there myself... Anyway, good luck!
Old 01-18-2005, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

I had mine flushed at the dealership. I don't trust jiffy..

TXLimited: Has the timing belt been changed recently? If you don't know then it wouldn't be a bad idea to get the timing belt changed.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SLC Punk
I had mine flushed at the dealership. I don't trust jiffy..

TXLimited: Has the timing belt been changed recently? If you don't know then it wouldn't be a bad idea to get the timing belt changed.
I don't let jiffy spooge do anything on any vehicle I own because I have fixed TONS of cars they screwed up (everything from stripping the drainplugs to fluid that went in the wrong place to a full engine meltdown....from you guessed it, no oil in there....oops!).

TX: If you haven't done the timing belt and have no idea if it was done then I would consider it was never done. Now the 3.4L is a non interference motor so you could just drive it until it breaks without fear of engine damage but also remember it could strand you at the worse possible time as well. It is usually the smartest idea to have it done and then you know you will be fine for at least another 60k miles (I do mine every 90k....I have never seen one break from wear before that).