Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Removing Cylinder Heads - 5vz

Old 02-17-2008, 07:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Removing Cylinder Heads - 5vz

I broke a rod in my 99 5vz 4runner and finally recieved my used donor motor last week. I took of the valve covers and upper intake plenum on the new engine to look at the condition and found that they were covered in dark oil residue and the intake and exhaust chambers were very dirty. I did the same on my motor with the broken rod and they are very clean and look like new.

I think I am going to swap out the top end of my old engine and put it on the new bottom end. This way I will also be able to clean the pistons on the new engine. I have never done this before though but after reading through the FSM, it doesn't look too bad. For anyone who has done this, is there any thing I need to watch out for? Is there any tricks to getting the cams out and keeping the timing marks lined up? Is this harder than it looks??

Thanks...
Old 02-17-2008, 08:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Easy way to do it, make sure you keep the cams, caps and everything on the same side, same locations. Make a mark with white out on both cams to make it easy on yourself on how they fit together. Make sure you put a 6mm bolt through the sissor gear on the loaded cam BEFORE you take them out. There is on threaded hole that goes all the way through the gear. That way it wont unwind on you and will stay the same when you put it back together. Just make sure to take the bolt out after you are done putting it back together.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

It's in my thread right here, pics and all:
http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=2241.0

It's not as bad as it looks, but it will require lots of patience. Also use a gasket solvent to remove the HG residue, you don't want to scratch or marr the factory surface for HG sealing and use the factory head gaskets (accept no substitutes).
Old 02-18-2008, 06:43 AM

Thanks.

Do you know if it is possible to clean the assembled heads without going through the trouble of taking the valves out? (maybe a dip bath at a machine shop or something?)
Old 02-18-2008, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Greedy
Thanks.

Do you know if it is possible to clean the assembled heads without going through the trouble of taking the valves out? (maybe a dip bath at a machine shop or something?)
You can clean them without disassembly, but it's a major PITA. Honestly if you have them off and you're going through the trouble of replacing the gaskets, then I'd just take them to a good shop and have them do a complete valve job on them at the same time. Then you'll have excellent top end compression and nice clean heads with brand new valve seals. It's the best way to go IMHO.......either that or just leave the heads on the new motor and nurse them back to health.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:48 AM

I was considering leaving them on and trying to clean them with seafoam or something equivalent once I re-installed the engine and got it running. However, I would have that nagging feeling of not knowing if it is actually working... I looked at your write up on UT, it helps out alot. I will call around today and see how much a valve job would run me.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:19 PM

Found out that to have them cleaned and pressure tested would run $300. Seems like alot. Tonight, I took off both sets of heads on my blown motor and the "new" one I bought to replace it. Mine are in much better shape as well as my cams. I think I am just going to get them tested to make sure they are good and re-use them.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Greedy
Found out that to have them cleaned and pressure tested would run $300. Seems like alot. Tonight, I took off both sets of heads on my blown motor and the "new" one I bought to replace it. Mine are in much better shape as well as my cams. I think I am just going to get them tested to make sure they are good and re-use them.
That seems high for just cleaning and a pressure test.
You can see all the prices I paid in my thread I linked to earlier.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here is a guy that did a head job on a 5vz. the pics start on the 3rd page! mike
Link:
http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=2241.0
Old 02-19-2008, 04:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Too bad you didnt live near me. I woulda done it cheaper. I even could of gotten your machine work cheaper. lol oh well
Old 02-19-2008, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by toytech76
Too bad you didnt live near me. I woulda done it cheaper. I even could of gotten your machine work cheaper. lol oh well
Yeah - I am going to call around today and see if I can find a lower cost place. The one I got the quote from though is the one my local toyota dealer uses so they are familiar with the 5vz..