Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Remote Starter and/or Security System for '03

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Starter and/or Security System for '03

Does anyone have remote start in their '03? How about an alarm system? My Limited has that theft-deterrent system...not all that great or effective. Any suggestions on either? Also, do you all think that adding an aftermarket system(s) will just cause headaches and an empty wallet?
Old 07-09-2003, 08:11 PM

The only words of wisdom I can give you are if you're going to buy an aftermarket system, get it at a place that installs them.

I bought mine from a forum member for real cheap, then had to search the entire city to find somebody that would install it. Even then it was only because I knew the guy and he was in my bro's Mustang club. Ended up costing ~$400, when Best Buy sells it for $440 including free installation.

Edit: This was also at a time where I was proud of doing all my mods myself. I read the installation manual and decided I would've had the headache you were referring to.

Last edited by Phisherman; 07-09-2003 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:50 PM

Talking

i don't have a '03 runner, but i do have a sidewinder remote starter/alarm system for my '97 runner. It is very nice. I can set the alarm from very far away, and i can also start the engine from pretty far away as well. it helps in the summer as i can leave the AC on, and the truck is nice and cool by the time i get there, and vice versa when it's cold out.

since i was a best buy employee, the sidewinder kit was only $120 dollars for me on employee discount. it retailed at the store for $399. talk about product markup, eh?

the downside to this whole thing was that they got a rookie to install it for me, since it was an "employee car". so after it got installed, i still needed to take it back to the shop a few times to get it "fine tuned" properly. However, it now works perfectly, so i am very happy with it. For the 120, it was definately worth it. I think for 400 bucks it'd be worth it too.

I only wish that i had a remote to lower the windows, open the trunk hatch, etc. I have a remote for my stereo head unit, so it's pretty nice, i can start the truck, and control the stereo from the trunk area when tailgaiting.

let me know if you have any questions.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member

alarms are good but only works soo far.

If someone wants to steal your 4runner, it's gone regardless of what kind of alarm you have. If they want it bad, they'll take it at all costs...

my 2 cents...
Old 07-10-2003, 05:33 AM

Originally posted by Good Times
alarms are good but only works soo far.

If someone wants to steal your 4runner, it's gone regardless of what kind of alarm you have. If they want it bad, they'll take it at all costs...

my 2 cents...

Very true....I'd like to have remote start though, especially during the winter.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:27 AM

I have a viper 790vx installed in my 03 v8. This is the alarm with the 2 way responder remote, remote starter. They had to use a bypass kit and I had to give up a key due to the engine immobilizer. they did a nice job, much better than my last alarm/remote starter, a Clifford AG3 in my 97 4runner, which caused all kinds of problems, because I went to the cheapest guy in town. Lesson Learned, the alarm is only as good as the installation. I paid $550 included 5% tax from tweeter, the avg going price is around $459 without the $30-$50 bypass kit, so I paid about $25 or so more from tweeter, but I think the nicer installation is worth that extra $25.

rich
Old 07-10-2003, 09:04 AM

Richard,
That's one of the best systems around, IMO. The price you paid isn't all too bad either. I might just go with what you have since the audio shop wanted 250 for a DEI remote start installed. I might as well pay the extra 200-300 for a complete security system. Any problems with the remote start and engine immobilizer? The guy told me about having to use a bypass system. BTW, what other features does your system have?
Old 07-10-2003, 09:14 AM

I have found the Viper system to meet all my needs.

I should get my 4th gen in September and have set it up such that the Viper system is fitted as a dealer accesory BEFORE I take delivery.

The owner of my preffered store where I have done business for 10 years is doing it fitted at $475 without any window windup etc.

Those things would be extra.

I really like the LCD remote system...piece of mind yes, 100% guaranteed, no ! But I ust want them to move on to the next truck.

David
Old 07-10-2003, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by sy733
Richard,
That's one of the best systems around, IMO. The price you paid isn't all too bad either. I might just go with what you have since the audio shop wanted 250 for a DEI remote start installed. I might as well pay the extra 200-300 for a complete security system. Any problems with the remote start and engine immobilizer? The guy told me about having to use a bypass system. BTW, what other features does your system have?
I just have whatever sensor/triggers that came with the alarm, I didn't add any extra features to it, as tweeter charge a lot for extra features, like $100 for 2 windows roll up and down, another $100 for the tailgate windows, etc. I asked for a good alarm and remote starter, and thats what I got. the remote range is awesome, I can remote start my truck from my 3rd floor office if I stand near the window, that is a good 5 to 7mins walk from the parking lot. I am pretty sure the fact that I am high up on the 3rd floor and the good installation have something to do with it. it sure beats my last alarm, which has about 50-75feets range.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:42 PM

I don't know much about the 4Rer, but my Taco would take a 10-15 seconds to stop the alarm, hot wire, and start my truck once under the hood. I installed a hood lock to slow them down some. IMO all that talk about "if they want it they'll get it" is right, but I have to many mods to make it easy, and there are tons of stock Taco's out there for the Pro's to steal for parts or other crimes. So I want them to earn it, if nothing else.

Good Luck
Old 07-10-2003, 01:13 PM

yeah, if someone wants to steal your car... they're going to, regardless of an alarm or not. at my old house, someone jacked my old corolla of the head unit, subs, and amp, and my car was parked in the front driveway. I think if i would have had an alarm, i would have been able to go outside and catch him before he got everything.

aside from that, if you were a theif, would you rather try to break into a car with or without an alarm...