Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Remote Start Completed....

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 12:34 AM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Remote Start Completed....

Well after about 8 months of my remote start sitting in the back of the 4Runner. I said dang it its cold out there this winter, I need to install this thing. Since I had a few days off for the holiday season and it was 50+ yesterday I did just that and will have to say dang why didn't I do this along time ago. Also unhooked my old alarm RS3000 from under the seat and if your wondering yes you have to bypass the wireing from it to the starting harness or the truck wont start after you unplug it
The new system is a Viper 790XV 2way transponder its great I get actual confimation its started and also notification of the alarm going off.
Still need to put it through its paces to test range they claim 1/4 mile but I will have to see how well that works. still beats the 10' I was getting with the factory system, other main reason I went aftermarket
more info on it here:
http://www.directed.com/security/vip..._responder.asp
Old 12-24-2004, 05:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad to hear it!
Hope the pics helped out a bit.

With the 2 -way it should be much easier to see what the range actually is since the display should only show when in range (I think) not like mine where any range is found strictly by empirical methods.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:17 AM
WT

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Glad to hear it!
Hope the pics helped out a bit.

With the 2 -way it should be much easier to see what the range actually is since the display should only show when in range (I think) not like mine where any range is found strictly by empirical methods.
Yes thanks for posting up the pics I used it to locate the wires and then used the old VOM(volt/OHM) meter to verify and all worked out fine
Yeah the remote lets me know if it started or not, so makes for range testing easy. Also if the alarm goes off it will let me know via the remote if I am in range, it can either vibrate or chip.
I also had a sheet with all the color codes for my truck so that made life easier too, good to know people in the industry.

Last edited by WT; 12-24-2004 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have an older prestige alarm with remote start and i am thinking of changing it out with a better brand, like a 2-way system, dont know which one yet. the gps tracking system sounds kool...
Old 12-24-2004, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

where did u get the system? how much?
Old 12-24-2004, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WT
Yes thanks for posting up the pics I used it to locate the wires and then used the old VOM(volt/OHM) meter to verify and all worked out fine
Yeah the remote lets me know if it started or not, so makes for range testing easy. Also if the alarm goes off it will let me know via the remote if I am in range, it can either vibrate or chip.
I also had a sheet with all the color codes for my truck so that made life easier too, good to know people in the industry.
No prob at all.....glad to help!

For others who are doing the same, you can also post on www.the12volt.com and they will get you a wiring diagram with color codes for your exact vehicle (alot of guys on there are in the industry too). If you have access to DIRECTWIRE™ wiring information, that is what most are using.

You will get something that looks like this:
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...44720&get=last

Viper install guides are here:
http://www.viper.com/guides/ogs.asp

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 12-24-2004 at 06:46 AM.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

glad to hear the install went ok. I love my 2-way
Old 12-24-2004, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

i want to change out my older prestige 350 alarm/starter system for either an avital or some other directed system. since the wiring is already done from the other system, should it be rather simple to swap them out?
Old 12-24-2004, 10:58 AM
WT

Originally Posted by Amir904
Hmm its been so long I honestly dont recall the price but I also get a discount on stuff since I work for a major retailer. I am sure its costs lots less now I got it when it first came out just never got around to putting it in.
Old 12-25-2004, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Amir904
If you're looking to install a remote start/alarm system, consider the Commando 870 as well.

There's info here (and links are in the thread that point to more info):
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...t=commando+870

The system runs about $160:
http://www.commandocaralarms.com/ite...ProductID=1185
Old 12-25-2004, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

I'm big on quality and durability, and in my experiances you get what you pay for. Is that true for the most part with these systems. I'm looking hard at the Viper791XV, I know Viper and Clifford have been around for awhile and have a good reputation with most people. Am I actually getting a better(this word being very relative) system by paying the $200-$300 that the Viper and Clifford systems go for?
Old 12-26-2004, 05:42 AM
WT

Originally Posted by Stump1883
I'm big on quality and durability, and in my experiances you get what you pay for. Is that true for the most part with these systems. I'm looking hard at the Viper791XV, I know Viper and Clifford have been around for awhile and have a good reputation with most people. Am I actually getting a better(this word being very relative) system by paying the $200-$300 that the Viper and Clifford systems go for?
Yeah I think the 791 is the newer version of mine and has more output triggers, I know I want to wire up my rear window to one of the triggers once it warms back up but it shouldn't be much of a problem since I preplanned for it and ran that trigger wire over to the switch already. I to am with you on you get what you pay for guess thats why most of us are driving Toyota's.
I have had several other DEI systems in my other cars and trucks and they all are still working fine to this day.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WT
Yeah I think the 791 is the newer version of mine and has more output triggers, I know I want to wire up my rear window to one of the triggers once it warms back up but it shouldn't be much of a problem since I preplanned for it and ran that trigger wire over to the switch already. I to am with you on you get what you pay for guess thats why most of us are driving Toyota's.
I have had several other DEI systems in my other cars and trucks and they all are still working fine to this day.
Awsome that is what I wanted to hear. Your right about the Toyota thing, my first 4Runner cost me in the range of $12,000 when I was 18, and I've now I'm 21 and still payed in that range for my 97. It's alot of money when you are in this age range but I rather have something that last till I'm 30 something and not so Jeep/HEEP, that will at best last me 2-3 yrs.

When you get a chance can you school all of us non-electronic savy guys on how you are going to wire your rear window(I'm guessing to roll down with a remote button). I would really like to do that with mine as wel l, I didn't know you could.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:41 AM
Contributing Member

I've got a 2-way system as well and wired up the back window, I had to get some of my buddies at Circuit City to help me since they do it all day long so I did all of it except the rear window. You can either wire it into the switch at the console or right at the rear window, we just wired it to the switch. All I did was run the wire for em, then I went in there and they did all the electronics stuff. Mine works from about 1500 feet away, I have 15 acres and the length of my land is about 1600 but there is a tree line about 100 feet deep so I drove down there on my 4wheeler and tested it out, I guestimated about 1500 feet. Now of course thats with no obsticles in the way, in a parking lot that may be a different story, I don't know. All I know is that I can start my car from my last class at school so...it works with me

Fink
Old 12-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Stump1883
Awsome that is what I wanted to hear. Your right about the Toyota thing, my first 4Runner cost me in the range of $12,000 when I was 18, and I've now I'm 21 and still payed in that range for my 97. It's alot of money when you are in this age range but I rather have something that last till I'm 30 something and not so Jeep/HEEP, that will at best last me 2-3 yrs.

When you get a chance can you school all of us non-electronic savy guys on how you are going to wire your rear window(I'm guessing to roll down with a remote button). I would really like to do that with mine as wel l, I didn't know you could.
You just need to wire up a relay to the trigger output on the alarm (ie one of the auxilary outputs).
Then just make sure the output for that aux is tied to a button on the remote.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:38 PM
WT

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
You just need to wire up a relay to the trigger output on the alarm (ie one of the auxilary outputs).
Then just make sure the output for that aux is tied to a button on the remote.
I second the aboove answer :
I plan on wireing my up at the switch since its up on the dash and my alarm has a output that will remain on as long as I hold it for more than 1.5 seconds witch is great cause that will stop me from accidently opening the rear window putting the keys in my pocket or anything silly like that. All you have to do is get a meter and measure the voltage on the wire on the switch that gets the +12V dc when you push the window down button and attach your wire from the relay or from the alarm depending on output current (check manual).

Last edited by WT; 12-26-2004 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:45 PM

I'm quite new to the forum and i'm glad that i've found it.

I own a 99 4runner limited edition and have been thinking of adding a remote start since it has been cold lately. However, I have a few questions/concerns and hope that you guys could clear it up.

I noticed midiwall recommended the commando system and after checking it out, I think I would be going with that system. Will I have to get a bypass system because of owning a 99 4runner?

Also, on a level of 1 through 10...how difficult is it to install the commando system? will the instructions included with the system suffice (and this wiring diagram that i've been reading about...where do i get this thing)?

And if anyone has done the install...is there a "tutorial" of the installation?

I would like to thank everyone in advance...and i'm really glad that I found this forum. Lots of good threads and info.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome and if your looking into this first "mod" prepare your wallet to be warm and empty more often.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, Code Alarm makes one and I'm sure that DEI (Viper) does too...I can't remember the model numbers but I know Code Alarm does.

Fink
Old 01-20-2005, 07:28 PM
WT

Originally Posted by dibble9012
is there any such thing as a remote start with the 2 way pager to let you know when it starts, but not with the alarm system, i alreay have the stock alarm keyless entry, dont want to add another alarm, just want to be able to start the car from inside the house or at work/school. Thanks
Yes the one I have does pager notification as long as I am in range... it will tell you if its the hood, trunk, door and shock sensor depending on what you get wired up to it.

Quick Reply: Remote Start Completed....