Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Remote programming-tried it all, nothing works

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote programming-tried it all, nothing works

Howdy-doo.
I bought a 1996 4runner with a RS3000 alarm system with FCC ID BAB237000-129. I also bought a remote with FCC ID BAB237131-022.

On the other forums, I have read that this remote will work. No power mirror. No glass breakage sensor I can find. I think I found the peizo chirper but have never heard it. The lights have flashed (once, dimly) but it has become common for them to do that in any one of the misc. procedure I might trying at the time so I have stopped paying attention to that.

I have downloaded every TSB Toyota Service Bulletins I can find, the manual on RS3000 and tons of other stuff.

I have tried the procedures of locking and unlocking 5 times with every possible combination I can find or think of. I have tried pushing the green button over and over and have gone by all directions I can find. I have also tried several other procedures.

Nothing works. The door locks never cycle confirmation and the remote never works. The alarm system does respond to the automatic locking and unlocking procedure.

The indicator light does come on when I push the green button. If I push it again it starts flashing like it is supposed to.

I turned the ignition on and off 5 times to make the auto door lock feature work so I know how to do that and have followed the RS3000 manual closely.

On the RS3000 manual it says something about "unless DISARMED."

Could mine have been disarmed and needs to be rearmed? If so, the only way I have read to re-arm it is to use the remote (which I obviously can not do).

Is there a different procedure I need to try?

I am going to have to assume the -022 remote is the proper remote since there appears to be no record anywhere or replacement remote for the -129.

I have put a new battery in the remote. I have inspected the ECU under the seat for problems and found none.

If you plan to refer me to a link, I have probably already tried it. In fact, I have downloaded and tried stuff I have not seen on any forum. The dealer is the enemy so I refuse that option.

I suspect there is some minute detail I am missing in all of these various procedures, like having the key in ACC instead of ON or starting the "lock unlock" procedure as "unlock lock."

Any help would be appreciated. Even if you think it might be over my head shoot it at me and let me try it.

Thanks bunches man.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe I have read you need a "master" remote to enable the "slave" remote to learn from it. No experience with this however.

any help from your local dealership? post up where you are so nearby folks can offer to help out....
Old 10-09-2008, 07:33 AM

Oops. Pardon me.
I just checked my remote and it is NOT -022. It is -056. In my belligerence, I do not think this matters but I will still try to acquire the -022. So if it does matter and you know best, please post that it does indeed matter. I also have a QYKblah-d-blah but I know they do not work.
Thanks, will try to post after I find solution.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:23 PM

okay we are following along out here.

Again tell us where you are and perhaps one of us is just down the road, and will personally help you out.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Your remote is black, and not dark gray right?
Old 10-21-2008, 10:17 PM

I am in Chattanooga, TN
I looked up BAB on the FCC page. BAB237131-013,019,022,032, are all supposed to transmit at 303.875 MHz (if i remember correctly). My ECU says -019 but I have never seen a remote and only one google hit for that number. Isuzu, acura, lexus and toyota all have used that frequency. Since the toyota and lexus remotes go for $30-$40 consistently on Ebay, I have picked up an Isuzu remote FCC ID BAB237131-013. The Isuzu remote looks exactly like the LX450 remote except for the symbols.
Thats right. It does not work.
I do not think that it is a coincidence that they look the same, have the same codes blah-dee blah.
I still think there is a like some master code for turning off and on and mine is off. As for the master remote, I would agree but there have been so many other posts claiming success with the same remotes and RS3000 system. But then...maybe you have something there. What I need to add is the master remote, then every one after that would be the "additional" remotes. That may help. Will look for "adding a master remote." Thanks.

So your thinking try the program sequences for the isuzu. That is where I was headed but seems only the toyota folks are smart enough to figure out that they can be programmed in the first palce. I am having trouble finding isuzu procedures.

Here is a remote cross reference sheet. You will have to find the FCC page on your own sorry. It is pretty cool however. You can see that Fujitsu Ten applied for this and that blah blah.
http://spotco2.com/1testt.htm

I may just forget the whole thing and turn the radio up louder.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:37 PM

After going through my growing collection of keyless remotes, and checking the FCC ID on the back of the alarm ECU, I have concluded that I still do not have the proper remote.
I went to the FCC site again and found several BAB somethings that transmit or receive at 303.875 Mhz. The FCC ID on the alarm ECU says BAB237000-129. I am starting to think that some of the reference lists I have seen on some of these sites selling remotes don't have the foggiest.
Will keep you posted...
Old 10-23-2008, 04:24 PM

Try your existing remote through the beginning of the programming procedure to verify that the alarm is seeing at least the remote you have (and you are doing the steps correctly. Then you can just stop it and take out the key if it works.

Then try the same thing with the new remote. If it doesnt do anything, then it either will not work or it needs a new battery. When I was looking for a spare one, I had to get the EXACT number for it to work... I got one that was a number off, and it didnt work.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:40 PM

OK. I was trying to get off cheap. I finally acquired the proper remote BAB237131-022 (which is one of 3 I think) and the programing procedure worked like a charm. I have downloaded the RS3000 manual and all the functions preformed perfectly.
So to recap, incase you load the forums backwards, I purchased 3 remotes, including an isuzu and the one that finally worked was the BAB...022 at 303.875 mhz.
I still think that there are several sites out there giving bum info. You can look up your remote at the spotco link above (the easiest way). Or you can go to the FCC site and mess around until you finally find the proper search page and search for the first 3 letters. That will give you the frequency if you need it. The cross reference on the spotco page seems to be correct. You can also google search RS3000.
Mine is a 1996. This probably works for 97 and 98. It does not work for 99. But if you have a newer one just search RS3002 or something.
Now to get serious about Sirius and try to get the static out...
Old 11-01-2008, 06:47 AM

thanks for the update detail specific

Originally Posted by civilpd
OK. I was trying to get off cheap. I finally acquired the proper remote BAB237131-022 (which is one of 3 I think) and the programing procedure worked like a charm. I have downloaded the RS3000 manual and all the functions preformed perfectly.
So to recap, incase you load the forums backwards, I purchased 3 remotes, including an isuzu and the one that finally worked was the BAB...022 at 303.875 mhz.
I still think that there are several sites out there giving bum info. You can look up your remote at the spotco link above (the easiest way). Or you can go to the FCC site and mess around until you finally find the proper search page and search for the first 3 letters. That will give you the frequency if you need it. The cross reference on the spotco page seems to be correct. You can also google search RS3000.
Mine is a 1996. This probably works for 97 and 98. It does not work for 99. But if you have a newer one just search RS3002 or something.
Now to get serious about Sirius and try to get the static out...
thanks this is a wealth of info and I believe the newer model is the
RS3200. Glad to see you were able to find the one you needed.

Would this be about $100 or so? and would you want to name the merchant or provide a link? This seems to be a persistent issue for older vehicles.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:57 PM

Talking

This article is from the Toyota Tundra FAQ, by Steve Yee with numerous contributions by others.

3.18 - RS3000 Alarm Systems - Adding a Remote (All)

Many people have purchased this alarm system with their vehicle, and sometimes
they want to add a remote. From the FAQ of the Toyota RAV4 is instructions on
how to program the RS3000 to accept another remote (Thanks to the RAV4 FAQ and
Ralph Becker for this information !)

From Thomas A. Yurick <designer@penn.com> by way of
Mark Miller <mark@bccd.com>:

First, some background info. You will need to find the ECU for the
alarm/keyless RS3000 system. Mine is under the drivers seat. (Authors note:
In the Tundra, the Alarm ECU is generally located on the drivers' side sidewall
area under and behind the dash.) Looking at the side with the connectors on
it, there is a small button or hole on the right-hand side. you will need to
press the button or insert a paper clip into the hole to press the switch
inside, following the instructions below. The Status Monitor is the the Red LED
light on the dash that says "security" under it. This procedure seems quite
simple, although the manual still advises one to contact a dealer to do it. It
sure isn't worth $76! Be sure that you follow the procedure exactly or there is
a chance that you might mess up the programming of the original remote. If that
happens, just follow the procedure again to add the remote back to the system.

1. Insert key into the ignition switch and turn to "ON".

2. Press and hold the ECU's programming switch for 3 seconds.
The Status Monitor LED turns on for 5 seconds.

YOU MUST PERFORM THE NEXT STEP WITHIN 5 SECONDS!

3. Press and release the remote control's top or bottom button (whichever one
you want to operate the system).
The Status Monitor LED turns off.
The Piezo "chirper" chirps once.
The exterior lights flash once.

4. Turn off the ignition. The ECU will now operate with the remote just
programmed.

Read more: http://stason.org/TULARC/vehicles/to...#ixzz2z1Aljeg3