Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Remote Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 09:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Remote Oil Filter

Changing the oil on my 3rd gen 4runner is a pain in the ass. When taking off the oil filter, the oil in the filter drains to the "belly pan" and cleanup is pathetic.

Not to mention that getting to the filter is never easy (at least its not for me).

Are there any good mod tek pages or could someone point me in the right direction to install a remote oil filter setup?

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2004, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll be curious to see what people suggest because it is a PITA to change the oil on the 5vz-fe
Old 04-18-2004, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dealer $19.95 oil change in less then 30 min, garanteed. For that little money its not worth the hassle to do it yourself. and the place I go to has a seperate oil changing bays so you can sit there and watch the guy do it.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:01 PM

I got tired of the stupid design of the verticle/diagonal mounted oil filter that ensured that everything underneath it would get covered in old oil. The Toyota engineer that designed that one should be shot.

Anyhow, I was entertaining the idea of the Amsoil remote filter & bypass unit but couldn't find any place to mount it where it would remain protected. So I got the remote mount from Performance Products. Had to fab up a mounting bracket but it works great. It is mounted on the frame rail just behind the fan shroud on the left side. In addition, I am using a huge filter (Amsoil SDF-26) I believe. Make sure that all the fittings are covered liberally in petrol resistant pipe tape.

Best of Luck.
Andrew
Old 04-18-2004, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

Any leaks on that setup of yours Andrew?
Old 04-18-2004, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Any leaks on that setup of yours Andrew?

Had one small one but that went away after tightening the adapter plate down when the engine was hot. Not a hell of a lot of fun getting to it. Burned the back of the hand a bit, but solved the problem.

Andrew
Old 04-18-2004, 04:57 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

oil filter relocation kit

has anyone thought of or tried this ? http://www.performanceproducts.com/P...oductid=104381 i thought about it.
Ric
Old 04-18-2004, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

That looks promising ...

I wonder how difficult it is to install...

And its only $60!
Old 04-18-2004, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remote filters are usually quite simple to install. Sometimes the most difficult thing is finding a suitable location for the filter within the limits of the supplied hoses. Thus I usually avoid the kits, install the filter where it suits me best then get hoses of the appropriate length.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:02 PM

I use the Amsoil setup with the bypass filter. It was not exactly cheap, but it was easy to install (given the large amount of space it took up). I had two problems, both easy to fix. One where there was a slight leak: tightening a fitting fixed that one...2 minutes. The other was a little strange, I got a vibration where I could feel the oil flowing on the brake and gas peddles: moving the oil lines corrected that one...20 minutes.

Next time I change the oil filter I won't have to remove the front skid plate and can replace it and lose very little oil since I mounted it in an upright position. Nice since Amsoil recommends changing the filter about 5 times more often than the oil itself (although I don't think I will let it go that long).
Old 04-18-2004, 07:06 PM

have somebody do it for around 20-25 dollars. Oil costs that much alone, plus filter, and the PITA it is, especially clean up, and sometimes you can even get charged if you bring your used oil to somewhere for "hazardous material handling" so they can recycle it. And if you throw it away I will come to your house and kill you just like you are killing the earth. That stuff is ROUGH on mother nature.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kford
And if you throw it away I will come to your house and kill you just like you are killing the earth. That stuff is ROUGH on mother nature.
I second you on that one!!
Old 04-18-2004, 08:38 PM

AmsOil Bypass System

Originally Posted by Sabony
I use the Amsoil setup with the bypass filter. It was not exactly cheap, but it was easy to install (given the large amount of space it took up). I had two problems, both easy to fix. One where there was a slight leak: tightening a fitting fixed that one...2 minutes. The other was a little strange, I got a vibration where I could feel the oil flowing on the brake and gas peddles: moving the oil lines corrected that one...20 minutes.

Next time I change the oil filter I won't have to remove the front skid plate and can replace it and lose very little oil since I mounted it in an upright position. Nice since Amsoil recommends changing the filter about 5 times more often than the oil itself (although I don't think I will let it go that long).
Howdy, you system sounds cool. You would not happen to have any pictures of your handy work...I would love to see them!
Old 04-18-2004, 08:42 PM

Hi Watson, I believe the filter is monted that way from draining purposed. Yes, the filter is a PITA to change but you can help yourself two ways: One-Take an old bathtowel and push it lower than the filter your about to swap out...this will catch 95% of the oil....I suggest old so your woman doesn't get mad. Two- Filter wrench that fits the end of the filter....they are super cheap and work great.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:13 AM

You will think it's worth going to the dealer for an oil change until they:
1) Add so much extra oil your dipstick reads an inch high.
2) Forget to tighten your drain plug so your garage floor becomes an oil slick.
3) Forget to put on a drain plug gasket on and then air wrench the plug on.
4) Air wrench your skid plate on so tight they strip the bolt heads.
5) Don't bother to wipe off any of the oil dripping from the under carriage.
6) Fail to lube any points underneath your truck ever! (I didn't realize this until I kept hearing a clunk sound every time I would put the truck in drive or take off from a stand still. Drive shaft had zero lube.
I took the truck to dealership for every oil change (7 years) until I discovered this.
Oil changes and lube have been done in my driveway for the last 3 years.
Trust me when I say they don't care about your ride!

Last edited by Astralplane; 04-19-2004 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:18 PM

Astralplane, I'm with you! I gave up on the dealer when the last two times I took it to them I wasn't out of the lot and it felt like I was driving with stone tires, 42 lbs of air in a tire that call for 22 lbs. I even reminded them the second time. If you can't inflate tires properly, I can't trust you with much! They also stripped two skid plate bolts using air wrenches.

Three neighbors had engines fail on them after "quick" lube shop visits. And they wonder why I do it myself!
Old 04-19-2004, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sdastg1
dealer $19.95 oil change in less then 30 min, garanteed. For that little money its not worth the hassle to do it yourself. and the place I go to has a seperate oil changing bays so you can sit there and watch the guy do it.

For me the dealer is not an option....PERIOD!
I have wasted too much time with them already, not to mention them trying to screw me. There is no way anyone but me is working on any of my vehicles for any reason (I doubt I will even let them do a HG unless my engine blows up.....then maybe I'll let em have a crack at it ). I spend more time checking other people's work than just doing it myself, plus I have the piece of mind that I know it was done correctly. Sorry for my rant but I have been burned too many times by stealers.

EDIT: There are good dealers out there (TOR thank you!).....too bad they are all 3000+ miles away. :pat:

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 04-19-2004 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want it done right, do it yourself. Words I live by.