Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Remote Mount Turbos

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperRunner
So running the wasgate at 8 psi to achieve 7 psi is going to put a TRAMENDOUS load on the turbo, so much that it will fail?

And yes, you are correct that the velocity near the engine is much greater than at the tailpipe, but remember, we are dealing with 7psi, not 30. These rear mount turbo's very easily generate 7psi, at very low RPMS.
I never said it would be TREMENDOUS... or that it would make the turbo fail... just that it would reduce the turbo's operating efficiency... I'm a fan of efficiency, and that's why I prefer turbos over S/C's... I only run a S/C on my L/C b/c of packaging constraints. And I've looked at remote mount turbo options and they don't work for me b/c of the aforementioned issues...And that only matters to me... well.. you read the rest of my post... you know why that matters...

You've seen em' in person, so you know much better than I do that they do well @ 7psi... that said, I'd never spend that much money to make 7psi... but hey... it's all good! At least we've established that we know what we're talking about!
Old 09-13-2004, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by WolfpackTLC
I never said it would be TREMENDOUS... or that it would make the turbo fail... just that it would reduce the turbo's operating efficiency... I'm a fan of efficiency, and that's why I prefer turbos over S/C's... I only run a S/C on my L/C b/c of packaging constraints. And I've looked at remote mount turbo options and they don't work for me b/c of the aforementioned issues...And that only matters to me... well.. you read the rest of my post... you know why that matters...

You've seen em' in person, so you know much better than I do that they do well @ 7psi... that said, I'd never spend that much money to make 7psi... but hey... it's all good! At least we've established that we know what we're talking about!
Agreed!
GOOD SHOW
Old 09-13-2004, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SuperRunner
Your friend must not be all that smart then. The only way the turbo is going to be red hot is if you are rallying it for awhile, then driving it through a stream. If you have been hard on your turbo, just be smart before you forge a river. Give it a couple minutes to cool down. Also, what about all these turbo-diesels that are running competitions(other contries usually) that completly sumberge thier vehicles. I have never burned out a turbo unless it had 160,000+ miles on it, and the previous owner/s probably never did proper cool down before shutting the engine off.

Also, jeeps don't come with turbo's. What did he have? Did he do some custom job himself. Must not have worked well. A proper setup is very easy to control. The turbo will only kick in when it is needed, and for rock crawling, it is hardly ever needed.

I was at Johnson Valley a few years ago, and during crawling, I never built boost, but then when it came to sand duned, everone else slowly plowed through in 4wd. I stuck it in 2wd, stepped on the gas, built 10 psi, and flew through the sand faster than anyone else could.
1. hes not smart at all but hes always loaded so i cant bash him. 2. the turbo didnt die or explode but he said it was making a hella noise after that, i dunno maybe it got warped, none the less he replaced it.