Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rejoining Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rejoining Transmission

Ok Guys,

I'm ready to rejoin my 3.0 engine with my Automatic Transmission. I made sure I put the Flywheel and (2) plates that went on either side in correct order when I took it off. Even used a zip tie to keep it in order. Anyway, When I put it back on I'm having trouble getting transmission close enough to bolt up so I thought I may have had the flywheel on wrong. So I popped the Starter in the hole and the gears aren't in line. So I'm a bit confused. I've just about drove my best friend insane with questions. Matter of fact he's running off to the lake this weekend to get away from me. So I'd like to figure this out without bugging him.

It looks pretty straight forward. Matter of fact I got the flywheel on, bolts torqued and thought everything was in good shape until I couldn't get the tranny hooked back up.

I've got some pics of what I have so if anyone can help me out in correct order I'd love ya forever.

This is a picture of the engine and rear crankcase where the flywheel attaches (duh). Notice the small hole that looks like it is supposed to accept a pin (which there is on on the small silver plate that I will show next)

http://www.gbronline.com/glassfishy/...aseNoPlate.jpg

The next picture is of the silver plate that I had in order to go on next. It has a small metal pin or hub that I think goes into the hole on the rear crankcase.

http://www.gbronline.com/glassfishy/SilverPlateNub.jpg

The next 2 pictures are of the flywheel. I had it set up to go with the welds toward the engine (flywheel A.jpg) to where there was clearance from the engine. I tried turning it around to where the welds were on the outside (flywheel B.jpg) which would make it closer to the engine, but it's too close.

http://www.gbronline.com/glassfishy/FlywheelA.jpg
http://www.gbronline.com/glassfishy/FlywheelB.jpg

The last piece I had set up to go on was the black small plate with a lip. I put this on the outside and then in goes the flywheel bolts.

http://www.gbronline.com/glassfishy/MetalPlateLip.jpg

This seemed logical, but again when I tried to stick in the Starter in it's hole it was off about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Does anyone have any pics of their flywheel on the engine? Does anyone remember how the flywheel and 2 plates go on? I've searched online and looked at my Haynes and Yota Manual and they don't show how the 2 plates go and how flywheel goes on.

Again, I appreciate any help and sorry for the LONG read.

Steve
glassfishy@gbronline.com

Last edited by glassfishy; 07-02-2005 at 05:47 PM. Reason: link incorrect
Old 07-02-2005, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can probably help more when I have my 3.0 out of my 4Runner for my swap (inlaws here all last week...).

The item you are calling a flywheel is actually a drive plate. Flywheels are used in manual setups. (AFAIK)
Old 07-02-2005, 07:08 PM

I read another post by someone else that sounds like they had theirs in teh same order that I did. I don't know if I'm just not getting the torque converter in the tranny all the way which is causing me not to being able to get it butted up to the engine all the way or what. I second guess myself alot. I don't want to screw this up so I just give up and take everything back apart. I had loctite on the driveplate bolts so I didn't want to not be able to get it back off so I took everything back off. Thanks for replying. I'll watch to see if you have anything when you do yours.

Steve
Old 07-02-2005, 07:30 PM

FWIW, the torque converter is a beotch to get seated the whole way. Take a look at this pic:

See how the shaft has a notches in it? This mates up to a "key" on the trans. (Look closely down inside the trans at the input shaft). This was causing me all sorts of grief - likely it is your issue also.

Last edited by Cebby; 07-02-2005 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

There are 3 sets of splines/drive dogs to get lined up with the TQ converter. I slide the TQ converter onto the trans shafts, and then rotate the TQ converter while "jiggling" it. You can feel it when it slides onto each set. Make sure the tQ converter is about 1" inside the front of the bellhousing before you try to bolt the trans to the engine.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
The item you are calling a flywheel is actually a drive plate. Flywheels are used in manual setups. (AFAIK)
I always call the first thingy coming from the engine the flywheel. I guess you could also call it the drive plate, but all setups have it, I guess people just call it by its different names.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:42 AM

Thanks GUys,

That is definitely my problem. I saw the notched thing, but felt inside the tranny and couldn't feel how they slid over any thing. I'll try everyone's suggestion and see if I can get it deeper in there. I know it wasn't 1" inside the tranny.

Thanks again!!

Steve
Old 07-03-2005, 07:03 AM

All Fixed Now

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

I went back out messed with it some more.

::::::Note to self:::::::
Usually when there are little notches on a car part they usually mate up to something else and are there for a reason. Don't just assume they're there for looks.

Anyway, got the torque converter in. Rehooked up the DrivePlate and joined the transmission to engine. Wouldn't ya know it? It worked. Got everything joined back up. Got torque Convertor bolted to DrivePlate.

::::::::Another note to self::::::::::
When installing torque convertor bolts it's alot easier to put them in on the passenger side of engine where the freakin oil pan is not in the way.

The only thing I couldn't do was check the torque on the Torque convertor bolts. HOW IRONIC!! It's so tight in there my torque wrench is too big. Any ideas? I just bolted them down pretty good. The book has them at 20 ft-lb. Do you think this will be a problem. I hope not since I've already got the cover plate and stiffner plates back on. Not a big thing if I need to take back off.

Here are some pics. Probably won't mean much to you guys, but I'm pretty stoked. For someone that's only changed his oil once or twice I'm pretty proud. Of course now that I think about it that's probably why I'm doing this in the first place. Dammit!!

http://www.gbronline.com/glassfishy/DSCN2078.JPG
http://www.gbronline.com/glassfishy/DSCN2081.JPG
http://www.gbronline.com/glassfishy/DSCN2085.JPG
http://www.gbronline.com/glassfishy/DSCN2090.JPG

Oh, one more thing. The reason I first put this post on was because my starter didn't look like it's gears would reach the gears on the Drive Plate. Well they still don't, but when I was messing with the Starter I was pulling out on the gear and it looks like the gear comes out so far and then snaps back. Is this normal? Does the starter pop out when you go to start and retract when done? If so, I feel like a dork and wasted a bunch of time for nothing. I guess that's why they call learning.

Anyway,
YOU GUYS ROCK.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve
Old 07-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by glassfishy

Oh, one more thing. The reason I first put this post on was because my starter didn't look like it's gears would reach the gears on the Drive Plate. Well they still don't, but when I was messing with the Starter I was pulling out on the gear and it looks like the gear comes out so far and then snaps back. Is this normal? Does the starter pop out when you go to start and retract when done? If so, I feel like a dork and wasted a bunch of time for nothing. I guess that's why they call learning.
Yeah, that's how starters work. The little gear thing comes out when you turn the key to start the engine and then retracts so it doesn't break itself.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by marko3xl3
Yeah, that's how starters work. The little gear thing comes out when you turn the key to start the engine and then retracts so it doesn't break itself.
That makes sense. If it stayed out all the time it would wear out a whole lot faster.

Steve
Old 07-04-2005, 03:15 AM

Glad we could help!