Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rear defroster not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear defroster not working

Ok, today i had the first time that i have needed to use my defroster since getting my truck. i pressed the defroster button in the center consol by the ECT button and it lit up but after 15+ mins it had yet to do anything back there.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be? As most of you know i had my rear window broken out a few weeks ago. Could that be the problem? The new one has the defroster but i had not tested it before the new window so i am not sure. It looks like the side windows have a defroster as well? If so they were not working either.

I checked all my fuses not to long ago and there were not any bad ones but i am going to check again when it stops raining. so any bright ideas?

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 12-14-2007 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is bs, i don't have a switch, i know i have a defroster though! ?
Old 12-14-2007, 04:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Ok, today i had the first time that i have needed to use my defroster since getting my truck. i pressed the button in the center consol by the ECT button and it lit up but after 15+ mins it had yet to do anything back there.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be? As most of you know i had my rear window broken out a few weeks ago. Could that be the problem? The new one has the defroster but i had not tested it before the new window so i am not sure. It looks like the side windows have a defroster as well? If so they were not working either.

I checked all my fuses not to long ago and there were not any bad ones but i am going to check again when it stops raining. so any bright ideas?
Take the rear panel off your tailgate. There are two wires in there that should be connected to a couple of prongs on the glass near the bottom. Turn the switch on, and check that you have 12V there. If not, work your way back through the system to the switch. Check the fuse again... check the relay... check the output from the switch... etc...
Old 12-14-2007, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MillerPKA
I don't understand what you are saying here. You have a problem with your truck too?

Originally Posted by GSGALLANT
Take the rear panel off your tailgate. There are two wires in there that should be connected to a couple of prongs on the glass near the bottom. Turn the switch on, and check that you have 12V there. If not, work your way back through the system to the switch. Check the fuse again... check the relay... check the output from the switch... etc...
Good idea, i have to go out and fix a flat today anyways might as well look at it then. I will update with what i find.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:06 AM

And as for the side windows, I believe that's a secondary radio antenna... not a defroster, but I could be wrong.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:37 AM

And as for the side windows, I believe that's a secondary radio antenna... not a defroster, but I could be wrong.
Yes, it is a secondary radio antenna, not a defroster.................
Old 12-14-2007, 08:38 AM

Check the wires that goes up and down with the rear glass.
I think you will find it is broken in two from the fatigue of going up & down.
Solder, retape and you'll be back in business.

Opps, I didn't notice this was a 3rd Gen
My problem was with a 2nd Gen

Last edited by Astralplane; 12-14-2007 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks, i was woundering if it was something like that.

Originally Posted by Astralplane
Check the wires that goes up and down with the rear glass.
I think you will find it is broken in two from the fatigue of going up & down.
Solder, retape and you'll be back in business.

Opps, I didn't notice this was a 3rd Gen
My problem was with a 2nd Gen
Yeah it is a 3rd gen. It is also a brand new window so that kind of problem should not be the case. My guess is that it is some kind of no power issue. I am about to go out and check it before it starts raining again.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, i pulled the pannel today and found that it looks like the guy that installed the window must have not hokked it up. The wires were just hanging in there. I checked the wires anyways and thy had 12+ so i think i am good.

I am going to go out later and will try it then.

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-14-2007, 06:54 PM

No problem... glad we could help.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

i'm saying i don't have a rear defrost button unless i'm a complete moron. all i have next to my ebrake is rear window, ect and a plug where the alarm light used to be
Old 12-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

the rear window defroster/defogger switch is on the center console above the clock and beside the hazard light switch.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Contributing Member

yup...i'm an idiot
Old 12-14-2007, 07:57 PM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
Originally Posted by MillerPKA
talk about regional weather! if you don't know where it is, you don't use it, eh? nearly every morning when i go out to do the daily warmup, the rear defrost is getting switched on. you're not an idiot for not knowing where your rear defrost is...kinda.... all i'm trying to say is be grateful with your "sun" and "warm weather"...

(just a little NW jealousy..)
Old 12-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Nuthuts96
talk about regional weather! if you don't know where it is, you don't use it, eh? nearly every morning when i go out to do the daily warmup, the rear defrost is getting switched on. you're not an idiot for not knowing where your rear defrost is...kinda.... all i'm trying to say is be grateful with your "sun" and "warm weather"...

(just a little NW jealousy..)
Yeah down here i have to use the defroster more ofthen because of 100% humidity in the air that will fog up anything then because it is cold. I have had my truck for almost a year and this is the first time i have had to use it as well.

I did try it out yesterday and it did indeed work fine!
Old 12-15-2007, 04:16 PM

Insert rant-here:
I have a 2001. My rear defroster has never worked very well compared to other cars/trucks. I purchased it new.....now has only aprox. 50k miles so I know it's never been 'futzed' with.
end-of-rant
Old 12-15-2007, 04:32 PM

I am from the midwest and my defroster works amazing!!! Since we have had the terrible weather here I have been very thankful that it has worked.

I did find out something very interesting though... I have heated mirrors and I thought that those were only an option on the limiteds? I have no switch for it but it does exhist because it is warm and melts thick ice!!! It comes on with the rear defroster.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by alotawatts
Insert rant-here:
I have a 2001. My rear defroster has never worked very well compared to other cars/trucks. I purchased it new.....now has only aprox. 50k miles so I know it's never been 'futzed' with.
end-of-rant
Well since tring mine i have to say that mine works darn good. About 30 secs until it starts clearing up.

Originally Posted by 5-spd for life!
I am from the midwest and my defroster works amazing!!! Since we have had the terrible weather here I have been very thankful that it has worked.

I did find out something very interesting though... I have heated mirrors and I thought that those were only an option on the limiteds? I have no switch for it but it does exhist because it is warm and melts thick ice!!! It comes on with the rear defroster.
Well that is interesting, i supposedly have them, just never known if they work or how to test them.

So they come on with the rear defroster?
Old 12-15-2007, 08:13 PM

Well I could not believe it so in the cold ice storm while ther was 3 inches of ice on my 4runner and my mirrors already melted I put my cheek up to each mirror and they felt very warm to the touch. That is how I confirmed it.

I have no switch so I guess they come on with the rear defroster. I really dont want to take apart my mirrors to run a DVOM est.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 5-spd for life!
Well I could not believe it so in the cold ice storm while ther was 3 inches of ice on my 4runner and my mirrors already melted I put my cheek up to each mirror and they felt very warm to the touch. That is how I confirmed it.

I have no switch so I guess they come on with the rear defroster. I really dont want to take apart my mirrors to run a DVOM est.
LOL, don't blame you.

Well i will just flip every switch i have and see what happends when we get some ice. (it will happen at least once, it is not like we are going to get snow!)

Quick Reply: Rear defroster not working