Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rear Brake problem

Old 09-06-2003, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LSPV/Rear Brake problem

I noticed lately that when I would release my parking brake that the thing would "stick" a little before releasing completely. I changed the oil yesterday and discovered that the LSPV (Load Sensing Proportioning Valve) valve that is attached to the rear axle by a link was bent, and had some tree bark on it. I straightened it out. This morning as I was heading out to work I noticed that the parking brake cable handle will return to the in position but there is no tension on the handle. I also noticed that the "BRAKE" indicator lamp is on, and there is a slight but noticable drag from the rear brakes. I got out and noticed that the parking brake cable was snagged on the LSPV, so I pulled the link out of the way, but still no release of tension on the cable~so it seems to be pulling on the adjusters. Any ideas on how to fix? Thanks.

Last edited by seafarinman; 09-06-2003 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-06-2003, 08:40 PM

BUMP
Anyone have any ideas? My brakes are dragging bad. I burned my hand checking the rear wheel when I got home from work~it was HOT as hell.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

Well,

I'm not sure how the set up on the toyotas work, but in the past when I've snapped the e brake cable from rust, its caused the light to come on and slight pressure on the brakes, but it sounds like this isn't your problem at all. It sounds like the cable is getting hung up some where, so I'd crawl underneath with a can of PB blaster, and lube up all the points where the cable passes through junctions and what not, and just work the cables back and forth. I'd also pull off the rear drums, and make sure that you don't have any broken springs that have been wedged in the drum, I've had that happen to me once before as well.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was having the same problem after swapping axles a couple of weeks ago. The only way I could fix it was to adjust the screw at the base of the parking brake handle. But I see that you have a truck and not a 4Runner so the brake is different. I'm now at full adjustment on the screw and the brakes are just barely off dragging, so if you find somehting wrong, post here, b/c I'm still convinced that there is something else wrong with mine, but I can't figure out what.
Old 09-07-2003, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to guess a sticking or rusty cable if you have no tension on the e-brake either.
If you get under the car, can you feel any tension on the cables going to the rear shoes?
I don't think it is possible for the drums to OVER self adjust but maybe?
I would check tension in the cables first.
Old 09-07-2003, 05:49 PM

Well I figured out what was wrong. The Load Sensing Proportioning Valve bracket was folded over twice from an offroad impact, and I only straightened out one of the folds the other day ago. I looked under a 2nd Gen and noticed that the lower link mount on mine was facing the wrong way, and straightened it. This restored the rear braking force to normal, so no more rear brake drag. As far as the parking brake cable, I guess that it had stretched, and was kinking below the handle instead of sliding into the cable housing. I repaired that by tightening the tension at the adjuster under the truck. All good as new!
Old 09-08-2003, 06:15 AM
Contributing Member

Rome, glad to see you figured it out. I had a similar problem where I bent and tore up the E- brake system on my truck last year. Got the stuff bent back but the E-brake never did work, even after readjusting. Two weeks ago just before I was supposed to bring the truck in for yearly inspection the brake started working again. Not sure why but I won't complain. Things are so rusty under my truck that it's possible something got hung up on the rust and finally just broke loose.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:19 AM

The E-brake on my truck is a very important tool since my Centerforce Dual Friction clutch won't hold well when the engine is not running. I mean when I am driving it is great and all, but parked, it just won't hold as well as the OEM clutch did. My truck crept down my parking space and into the driveway just the other day. I woke up and saw my truck about 15 feet back from where I park it!
Old 09-08-2003, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member

Know what you mean. I just finished putting a new clutch in my truck. It got to the point where even on a small incline I would have to shift into 4 low when parking to keep it from rolling. I am very much enjoying having my E-brake back.