Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rear brake load sensing valve removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear brake load sensing valve removal

I was thinking about removing this valve or sticking it fully open. Comments????
Old 02-07-2006, 01:37 AM
Contributing Member

Just replace it with a proportioning valve. There may be instances where you dont want to fun full powered rear brakes, such as in snow.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PO2SIMS
I was thinking about removing this valve or sticking it fully open. Comments????
Are you talking about the LSPV?
Old 02-07-2006, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Are you talking about the LSPV?
Thats what it sounded like to me.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:11 PM

Bump.

I had my leaf springs re-arched and added to- having this extra lift in the rear causes my LSPV to sense that the rear-end is picked up. I've already adjusted it all the way down, but the rear brakes are still not grabbing quite as much as they should. I know this because a good friend let me use the machine at his shop that tells you what % all of your brakes are grabbing at.

I was wondering if there was a fix for this. I don't want to remove it, but could it be modified? I'll admit I haven't done a search on here, I just saw this post and remembered the situation with mine.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:37 PM

Proportioning Valve Question

Originally Posted by PO2SIMS
That would would be a very bad idea. First of all, that's there to make your front brakes have more pressure than the rear...your front brakes are about 80% of your stopping power...if you remove it and allow full rear pressure without any weight behind you, and the backend of your truck will swing around the side of you...yes, even with big tires...don't use anything other than a Toyota proportioning valve either, as it is also a bypass valve for redidual pressure...I tried T-ing those two lines together and running them into a Summit Proportioning valve...it allows too much pressure bypass...it's sad because the lead tech at the Toyota dealership couldn't answer my questions about LSPBVs...I had to figure all this ÅÅÅÅ out by myself...I've been building custom trucks for a while now, so trial and error is in effect here...so no, don't remove it...but you can fab a bracket and adjust how much pressure is applied...lengthening of the throw arm will open the valve more and allow more pressure...be easy, it doesn't take much...experiment a little...check out our website....

www.lowdowncustom.com

Link to pix of my toys...

http://www.lowdowncustom.com/modules...view_album.php

Hope I helped...Spread it to other people with the same question and concerns with LSPBVs. Laterz...Furious_D
Old 03-02-2006, 04:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Furious_D
That would would be a very bad idea. First of all, that's there to make your front brakes have more pressure than the rear...your front brakes are about 80% of your stopping power...if you remove it and allow full rear pressure without any weight behind you, and the backend of your truck will swing around the side of you...yes, even with big tires...don't use anything other than a Toyota proportioning valve either, as it is also a bypass valve for redidual pressure...I tried T-ing those two lines together and running them into a Summit Proportioning valve...it allows too much pressure bypass...it's sad because the lead tech at the Toyota dealership couldn't answer my questions about LSPBVs...I had to figure all this ÅÅÅÅ out by myself...I've been building custom trucks for a while now, so trial and error is in effect here...so no, don't remove it...but you can fab a bracket and adjust how much pressure is applied...lengthening of the throw arm will open the valve more and allow more pressure...be easy, it doesn't take much...experiment a little...check out our website....

www.lowdowncustom.com

Link to pix of my toys...

http://www.lowdowncustom.com/modules...view_album.php

Hope I helped...Spread it to other people with the same question and concerns with LSPBVs. Laterz...Furious_D
It doesn't matter because there is no LSPV on 3rd gen 4runners anyway (unless you don't have ABS).

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 03-02-2006 at 04:22 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My rear shoes (on my old axle) were all out of wack and i could never get them set right, turns out i just tied the LSPV "arm" up on the body and the rear worked great from then on.

That was untill i put the axle i currently have under in. This one has "good" rear breaks and its now a bit over rear biased. if its wet it locks up more easyly than you would want.

Im planning on removeing it and putting a real adujstable (thumb screw) proportioning vavle up on the frame rail by the front.