Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rear brake issue...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear brake issue...

All,

Just had a complete brake job done with new ceramic pads, new rotors, new rear cylinders (they were leaking), new shoes, etc, etc.

My issue is that now, my parking brake will pull all the way out (literally), and my truck will still roll if on an incline. I took the truck back to have them adjusted, and thought that all was good until I got home and parked (I park on an incline). Pulled the e-brake, and started rolling. This is on my 92 btw.

It's kinda a big deal since I have a standard. I hope that the transmission can hold it long enough for me to figure out what to do. Obviously a trip back to Brake Check (people who installed) is in line, however I really don't want to have to wait for an open bay etc., if there was something really simple that could be done.

Any ideas before I roll over there?
Old 08-14-2003, 12:23 PM

I feel Your Pain (Bites Lip)

I know what you mean exactly. I have the same setup (92 runner 5-speed) and I had to adjust the brakes myself. All you need to do is remove the tire/wheel, make sure the parking brake is OFF, and remoe the drum. this may take some effort. after that, turn the star wheel adjuster a few clicks, even amounts on both sides. That ought to do it, if it doesnt help, try adjusting your cable.
Attached Thumbnails Rear brake issue...-im000236.jpg  
Old 08-14-2003, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the info. I just learned that supposedly, it is possible to do this without removing the wheels or jacking up the truck.

The image you provided will greatly assist me as I am fooling around with the back of the drum to figure out what to adjust.

Thanks again!
Old 08-14-2003, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know the older trucks have a hole in the backing plate where you can see the adjusting wheel shown in the picture. Just put a screwdriver in there and move the wheel (not sure which way though). Another option is to drive down the street, stop & set the brake, release the brake, drive a few more feet & repeat. This method will take quite a while, but doesn't involve getting under the truck.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:12 PM

Ok, thanks.

I'm about to go outside now and tackle this issue. I will use both of the methods that you've described.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2003, 01:37 PM

Still Feeling Your Pain (Still Biting Lip)

that is true, you can insert a screwdriver into the backing plate and adjust the wheel. I recommended removing wheel and drum just so you could get a glimpse of how it is wearing and how it fits with the drum attached. Just my method though.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:33 AM

I just adjusted this on mine also and heres what I learned. You can adjust the little wheel by just removing the rubber plug and turning with a screwdriver. When I did this it actually tigthened too much. The best way is to remve the drum and turn untill the drum wont go on then back off a little. You have to pull the little v shaped flat spring away from the gear tooth to turn backwards. The shoes should just stop short of hitting the drum. After its all back together the e-brake can be pulled many times to adjust the same little gear. If eveything is adjusted right there is one other thing that needs to be done to get the right pull from the e-brake handle (this may be all you need in the first place). Under the truck (directly below the passenger seat) the is an adjuster for the e-brake pull. Its where the single cable hooks to double cables to go bake to each drum. This is where the slack is taken out of the e-bake cable.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:45 PM

the rear drum brakes are self adjusting when you pull the parking brake ! how many clicks does your parking have ? sounds like it needs to be tightened up
Old 08-17-2003, 02:41 AM
Contributing Member

self adjusting

Originally posted by colt ar
the rear drum brakes are self adjusting when you pull the parking brake ! how many clicks does your parking have ? sounds like it needs to be tightened up
yup it takes a little time but it is much less work than lifting the truck and removing a wheel.
just turn the brake handle so that it will not lock´when you pull it and just start yanking and releasing eventualy it will get right. or another way is slide under the truck and just repeatedly yank the cable and both sides should start to tighten up. good luck and this is the only time I think it is ok to be a "yanker"
David