Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rear axle seal replacement tips 2nd gen wanted

Old 03-10-2004, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear axle seal replacement tips 2nd gen wanted

The other day while getting into my rig I smelt 8090 and worried being I just had my gearing & a locker done. Well I looked but didnt see anything leaking. Today while getting into my rig I saw the wet spot on the passenger rear brake drum backing plate. My rig DOES NOT LEAK so when I saw fluid leaking I was mad. I was just away from work on a break getting dinner and wanted to drive all the way home to get the credit card to go get an axle seal but instead called my buddy Mike (MikeT223) asking how hard it is to change them. He offered to do this for me but I really want to do this job myself. I just want the experience of the job under my belt. So can you guys give me a run down of what to do and not do and any tips? Do I need any special tools, bearing presses, claw hammers? Thanks, Ben/Blue
Old 03-10-2004, 05:35 PM

Check out the tech section. There is a write up. I just did mine about 3 weeks ago. Its easy, except that you will most likely have to rip the old seal out with pliers. The screwdriver method that my Chilton called for is a joke Then I was getting frustrated trying to seat the new seal. Other then that and trying to keep my break line plugged, it wasn't soo bad.

Erich
Old 03-10-2004, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put rear axle on jackstands.

Remove tire and wheel on leaky side.

Pull brake drum.

Disconnect e-brake cable.

Disconnect brake hard line and cap it.

Remove back plate.

Pull out axle.

Look inside to see seal

Remove and replace seal.

I want to say it is a 10mm flare nut wrench and a 14mm socket for the backing plate, could be 12 though.

I would be this happened because the person who installed the third did not pull the axles all the way and rested them on the seal instead.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:03 PM

conflicting stuff

Ok I like your instructions they seem very easy. My buddy that just did this & struggled with it swears I will have to take the unit down to have the seal pressed in. TRUE/FALSE? I am worried about the rear end losing to much fluid. How often until Friday do I need to be checking the fluid level? It has a pretty good leak coming out of the pass. side rear but has only been actively physically leaking today. The parts house does not have the complete seal kit. Now is it true that there are 2 seals on each side totaling 4 seals left & right? Do I have to do both sides now or can I just do the leaky side for now? Brakes, do I have to replace them to? Help. lol
Old 03-10-2004, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had it in my mind's eye wrong when I started the deal, but here is how things are on my truck at least.

There is one outer seal. You can see it when you pull the backing plate. I think there is a seal on the bearings that needs to be pressed on and off, but the only seal I saw, the one likely leaking due to installer error, is the outer one.

Read on ODW for alternate ideas, resolutions and problems.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:48 PM

I have printed David/DCRIM1's write up to assist me

The write up is basically as you said. I am guessing he my friend had issues from lack of experience. Dcrims write up says nada bout having anything pressed. I think that is for if you are doing the bearing seal. Prolly a two part unit acting as bearing & seal. But if it aint leakin it aint getting replaced. This is actually funny in a ˟˟˟˟˟ty way cuz just the other day thinking to myself I thought "wow I have zero leaks on Blue" and now look. Oh well, now I will learn how to do it. Thanks guys. Blue
Old 03-10-2004, 08:46 PM

I spoke to my friend again & he said he replaced a bearing/seal part on the shaft that you slide out. Did he have to? He did it because he had a leak and didnt know which one was leaking. The way I am seeing it is you remove the backing plate & hub as one assembly. Is that right? Could he have removed the hub and backing plate as two parts making him think that seal/bearing needed replacement? Blue
Old 03-11-2004, 09:30 AM

I found a company that has two of the inner seals so I am going to do this today. But How many of you changed the outer seal? Do I need to? I assume the inner seal will repair the leak. Iassume the outer seal keeps water from entering the diff housing. Thoughts? Blue
Old 03-11-2004, 04:42 PM

The final outcome

Well it took me 2 hours to (git er done) and it was so easy. I actually had it easy because when MikeT223 did my gears he busted all the bolts loose. So thanks Mike. I only replaced the inner seal being I could not see a reason to replace the outer one. I got it all back together and forgot to put the Oring back in. I took it off to clean it up. So I got a double dose of experience. I loved how I didnt have to take all of the brake parts apart. It was cool how it all slid out as one assembly. When I got it all back together properly I had my helper assist me in bleeding the brakes. I only did the one and that ended up being a problem. My helper took off for work and when I hopped in for the test drive nada. No brakey pedal working. So I thought I was a screwed dude. I called this chickedy chick Amber to come over and pump it for me. lol the brake pedal that is. I got it all bled out and shazaam its a done deal. Thanks so much for your help guys. Oh yeah while driving to work I noticed something. I looked in my side mirror and woble wobble wobble. My ˟˟˟kin wheel is wobbling. Its a brand new Pro Comp Rockcrawler. I wonder if it was just misbalanced or if its really bent?