Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Really want to buy a Yota. What do you think about this Runner?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really want to buy a Yota. What do you think about this Runner?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...00&cardist=118

I'm dead set on buying a black 4runner, I wanna buy something im happy with thats why i want a Black 4wd 4runner, but one with low miles is hard to find. Would this one be a considerable buy despite having 125,000 miles? What are common problems with this year 4runners? What should i replace if i were to but this one?.....or expect to. I dont mind replacing a motor or tranny on a car i love but i dont want to do it anytime soon.

This is the vehicle i drive now and am in the process of selling because its drained my wallet for the last time (ive replaced ball joints and crank sensors to vacuum actuators and axle seals and everything in between...sooooo much crap) , and i dont want to have a repeat, that why i want a toyota.

Let me know your guys opinions are on the runner.

Last edited by osker fenix; 11-01-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well, you know what we will say! toyota's are the best. hell 125,000 miles is nothing. ive almost hit 200 and wouldnt hesistate to take mine cross country if i had to!

hell im sure you would save money on gas, i know gmc's can be a guzzler!!

if money is your worry, get a 1st gen. they are extremely easy to fix (from what i hear) and they run great. 2nd gens make sure the headgaskets were changed!!!!! 3rd and up i dunno about the 4 cyl 4runners... ive always wanted 6 or more.

id take that runner over your truck any-day (no offense)
Old 11-01-2007, 08:59 PM

god that blazer is just plain wow i cant even say it on here look at all the crap hanging on the under carriage brake lines and wiring i bet. god i love chevys hahaha
Old 11-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

buy it. black 4runners rule
Old 11-01-2007, 09:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i like the silverado. but if i had a silverado, id have to illegal tint it, big chrome rims, and lowered. im sorry, thats a race truck lol.

dunno how reliable it is, but it looks b/a.

yeah, i see those brake lines!
i cant see that thing wheelin.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:03 PM

my friend had a blazer and all it did was cause problems.

get the yota.

it looks ALOT better and you wont be dissapointed.

its a toyota.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:05 PM

the worst part about 3rd gens is in all honestly.......................................... .................................................. ........................................ the cup holders..... come on man its a toyota!
Old 11-01-2007, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member

That is a nice looking Runner, but wow $12K?? The miles are low ~ for a Yota, but I'd keep looking if I was you. You can paint your own wheels black for like $10, and you can get a body lift for like $100. BFG AT's will be like $500 brand new. Unless you can get it for like $9500, keep lookin, IMHO.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
That is a nice looking Runner, but wow $12K?? The miles are low ~ for a Yota, but I'd keep looking if I was you. You can paint your own wheels black for like $10, and you can get a body lift for like $100. BFG AT's will be like $500 brand new. Unless you can get it for like $9500, keep lookin, IMHO.
Correct me if im wrong but it seems like it has more than just a body lift, and i just want a vehicle i can drive now, already lifted. Ya i was thinking the price was a little high as well, but the truck itself looks sick.

keep the opinions coming
Old 11-01-2007, 09:45 PM

I'd take off the running boards and black out the corner lenses and the taillights

that looks even better. I cant wait to have one of these
Old 11-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Contributing Member

"Seller's Comments
Extra Clean, Body Lift with BFG All Terrains!!!"

Have you talked price with the seller yet?
Old 11-01-2007, 09:54 PM

not yet been debating if its even worth it, thats why i came to you guys
Old 11-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Contributing Member

Cool. What are your plans for your GMC? You selling it? sold it? trading it? If you selling/sold it, NICE! Keep looking on craigslist and you'll find what you want. If you're trading it in, be careful you don't get screwed on your trade and the sales price. Seriously, I'd offer them about $9500. Don't fall in love with the 1st truck you find. Be patient.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by osker fenix
I'd take off the running boards and black out the corner lenses and the taillights

that looks even better. I cant wait to have one of these
I woud paint those wheel weights too (if thats what they are)

But seriously, I think that 12k is way too much for that many miles, unless that thing is absolutely spotless, has never been off road, and has the complete service history included since day one, which was all done at a local reputable dealer, and comes with some sort of no questions asked warranty for at least a year

I may sound like a stickler, but up here (the northwest) toyotas (esp 4runners) are like gold, and you can find 96-98's with that many miles for under 10k all day long
oh, and if you're going to spring for a 4runner, then get a "limited" if you like/want leather seats

I'm not trying to turn you off of toyota's or anything, but shop around, you might find a better deal
Old 11-02-2007, 05:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Find a low mileage STOCK 4Runner.. A lot more of these 4Runner were grocery getters than off-roads so stock ones are easy to find. People tend to do half-ass mods or go the cheap route so it's best to find a stock vehicle so you know the exact starting point.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
Cool. What are your plans for your GMC? You selling it? sold it? trading it? If you selling/sold it, NICE! Keep looking on craigslist and you'll find what you want. If you're trading it in, be careful you don't get screwed on your trade and the sales price. Seriously, I'd offer them about $9500. Don't fall in love with the 1st truck you find. Be patient.
ya im selling it, its only been for sale for less than a week and ive had a few calls on it so i hope to get rid of it soon.

Thanks for the advice im still searching
Old 11-02-2007, 07:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the runner I love my black one
Old 11-02-2007, 09:06 AM

really check the 4 runner out bro. that price sends a red flag up big time in my head.. i bet its overheated before.. just a hunch.. inspect it the best you can, take it to someone you trust and put it on a ramp and reallly really look it over.. anyone that bumps a truck up like that has taken it stump jumpin a time or two and as we all know that leads to breaks and etc...
Old 11-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by etan
the worst part about 3rd gens is in all honestly.......................................... .................................................. ........................................ the cup holders..... come on man its a toyota!
They fixed the problem in '99.

I have 133k on my '99 and the only things that were outside regular maintenance was the rear axle seals at 100k (on my '97 too) and I think my O2 sensor might be going but I expect a few wear and tear parts to go but enginewise I have zero leaks and my compression was within 3psi of OEM specs on all 6 cylinders;the rest of the driveline is solid too.

Even my power antenna still works fine.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:42 AM

I got a black 98' supercharged 5sp manual leather seats with 23,000 less miles that one. also black for $9,000. With my SUSPENSION lift and tires it would have cost about $10,500. That truck is over priced. keep looking. do a google search type in the year you want then type craigslist after and it will pull from cragislist ads or look here in the classifieds.
Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Really want to buy a Yota. What do you think about this Runner?