Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Radiator Question.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Radiator Question.....

I have a 1995 3.0 with 122k. I think the radiator is shot...i thought it might have been the hoses but now i am leaning towards radiator as well. when i turn on the vents i smell antifreeze also all the paint on the radiator is coming off...it was rodded out and painted a couple of years ago..i think its shot i think the water pump is fine..i havent found any in my oil so i think the headgasket is ok. my 4runner isnt covered since it was built in late 95. any ideas or should i just buy the radiator..i found one at radiator barn for a good price i think...thanks in advance...
Old 04-22-2004, 07:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm... you smell radiator fluid... This doesn't sound like the radiator is at fault especially. Is it loosing coolant?
Old 04-22-2004, 07:19 PM

thanks for the quick reply...seems to be losing some coolant. ill come out on some mornings and sure enough on the ground is some coolant...any ideas..
Old 04-22-2004, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by nm4runner
I have a 1995 3.0 with 122k. I think the radiator is shot...i thought it might have been the hoses but now i am leaning towards radiator as well. when i turn on the vents i smell antifreeze also all the paint on the radiator is coming off...it was rodded out and painted a couple of years ago..i think its shot i think the water pump is fine..i havent found any in my oil so i think the headgasket is ok. my 4runner isnt covered since it was built in late 95. any ideas or should i just buy the radiator..i found one at radiator barn for a good price i think...thanks in advance...

If you do decide to change your radiator its real easy. Did mine in about an hour, just drain, unbolt, yank out, put in new, rebolt, refill, and roll. Paid like $220 at my local napaa for some modina radiator that seems to be holding up okay.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:21 PM

Well, find your leak. THe radiator will leak just AFTEr you've driven it and it's at operating temp. Turn off the truck and find your leak. It should be spewing out from somewhere. Don't go buy a new one until you're sure that that's the problem and not a hose or something. If you have a cut in a hose somewhere, you will smell this through your vents too.

Also, i'm not sure where, but i got a radiator for a 91 celica i had a while back for like 50 bucks NEW shipped off the internet, i forget who though. also, usually the radiators break at the end-tanks, and since they're plastic, a radiator shop may be able to just replace the endtanks and you wouldn't need a whole radiator.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:24 PM

i think my hoses are toast as well...ill replace those..should i get toyota hoses or just from checker/autozone..i found a new 3 row radiator at radiatorbarn for 169 shipped... i thought this was pretty good...
Old 04-22-2004, 07:28 PM

Well, a good set of radiator hoses is always something you'll want, especially when the temps heat up and they tend to fail. I'd check prices of Toyota vs. general auto-parts supply stores. You can get away with a general set of auto-parts store brand hoses, they may only last a few years instead of the toyota-typical 5+, but in the short run it's all the same. Just see what the prices are and make a decision. If it's nearly negligible, i'd go yota.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:59 AM
CTB

i think my hoses are toast as well...ill replace those..should i get toyota hoses or just from checker/autozone..i found a new 3 row radiator at radiatorbarn for 169 shipped... i thought this was pretty good...

Ya, when I replaced my radiator back in December, I got one from Radiator Barn, and haven't had a single problem with it...perfect fit. Robinhood Steve also got his from here. I also replaced both hoses with genuine Toyota hoses, and replaced the thermostat (easy time to do it).
Old 04-23-2004, 04:50 AM

ctb what were your systems for changing out your radiator? i think iam going to order online today..what was shipping like did they take forever? thanks alot ill call the dealer(stealer) and get prices...thanks for the info..
Old 04-23-2004, 05:46 AM
Contributing Member

Could also be your heater core or the hoses that supply the heater core. There should be a couple of 5/8" hoses that go to the firwall, one of which originates at the water pump. Heater cores are typically located under the dash, just inside the firewall (usually on the passenger side around/behind the glove compartment).

Usually if the heater core springs a leak, it will leak on the passenger side floor. Check there for any signs of moisture. Its not uncommon for one of the heater core supply/return hoses to spring a leak either. The heater core hoses should be changed anytime your radiator hoses needed changed since they are all part of the coolant system (the hot anti-freeze in the heater core system is used to produce heat in the cab during winter).
Old 04-23-2004, 05:54 AM

I do implore you to find the problem before ou spend money on a part you may not need. However, if you do have ot replace it, don't be afraid, just be sure and have enough new coolant on hand at the same time, you don't want to re-use the old stuff.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I got a new 3 row from them a year ago, so far so good. It was funny though, I called them 3 times and each time the price got less and less. It started out about $160/without the lifetime warranty and I finally got it for about $120/ with a lifetime warranty. They had it to my door in two days, the carrier even delivered it on a Sat morning, wasn't UPS, might have been Fedex. It was easy to install. But I agree don't replace it unless you can find something wrong with the old one, my old one had little pin holes in the top.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:47 AM

i will double check on the radiator..is it possible to have it checked out by someone else like pressure tested..i was told that when they rodded it out it was pretty nasty..i also have goop building up on the outside of the radiator so that leads me to think the radiator is dying and not able to cool like it used to. i know that a hole was filled up and not sure if that is a good sign if one has alrready been filled..the goop building up on the radiator and the leaks which i think are the bottom hose is what is telling me to change it all out..with 122k miles in the the southwest i think its done as good job as it can..
Old 04-23-2004, 10:51 AM
CTB

ctb what were your systems for changing out your radiator? i think iam going to order online today..what was shipping like did they take forever? thanks alot ill call the dealer(stealer) and get prices...thanks for the info..
My radiator was leaking around the top front seam, so I JB Welded it temporarily, and then when I got home over Christmas break, I installed the new radiator. Radiator Barn was awesome to deal with. No problems at all, and I had the radiator at my doorstep in just a few days. Perfect match - no modifications necessary.