Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Radiator hose clamp : rust ???

Old 09-05-2008, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiator hose clamp : rust ???

Do we replace coolant hose clamp?
If so, how often?

I just changed engine and tranny oil and noticed the lower rad hose "clamp" got rusted. It is original, which I just re-used when I did t-belt/waterpump service roughly 4 years ago (60k miles ago). As of today, this 97 4Runner SR5 4WD Auto has currently 131k miles.

Now, I wonder "what kind of aftermarket rust proof hose clamp is available?". Are those stainless steel hose clamp (screw type) enough? I do not want to see rust again from hose-clamp....

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Jin_Chris; 09-05-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jin_Chris
Are those stainless still hose clamp (screw type) enough?
I'm using those without problems.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mt_goat! Thank you again.

By the way, where do you get those stainless steel hose clamp? Just any autopart store like autozone napa etc?

Actually, I confess that I have bulk part that I bought at home depot for yard sprinkler job... hahahahahahaha... From just looking at it, I do not see any difference between home-depot ones and the ones that I got from autozone (or other auto part store).

I will probably use those home-depot bulk hose clamp but I feel a little icky by the fact that I put home-depot part into my car.... What do ya think?
Old 09-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jin_Chris
mt_goat! Thank you again.

By the way, where do you get those stainless steel hose clamp? Just any autopart store like autozone napa etc?

Actually, I confess that I have bulk part that I bought at home depot for yard sprinkler job... hahahahahahaha... From just looking at it, I do not see any difference between home-depot ones and the ones that I got from autozone (or other auto part store).

I will probably use those home-depot bulk hose clamp but I feel a little icky by the fact that I put home-depot part into my car.... What do ya think?
Yeah mine come from Lowes usually. You do want to be careful not to overtighten them. If you have a lot of rubber hose squirting though the slots in the band, that's probably too tight.

Last edited by mt_goat; 09-05-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it is kinda sorta better for the hose, to get the proper clamping
tool and the solid bands. hose clamps work yes, but man up and spend
a little dough...because, you know, the manufacturers want you to
Old 09-05-2008, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
replace the hose = replace the clamp.

99% of the time i reuse them. i have a huge assortment of misc clamps
Old 09-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

I agree that the stock band clamps are probably better, but I don't put them back on even when they are still in good condition because they are harder to work with. It takes a large pair of channel locks to squeeze them and often there isn't much room to work, just more work. I probably have 4 or 5 in my tool box that get skipped over for the screw type.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The screw type hose clamps are also referred to as "aviation clamps". They will not come off in any condition, lossen under load or vibration or weaken over time due to metal fatigue. That is why they are used exclusively in aviation applications. You can't afford to have a simple hose line come loose during flight!

In our application in motor vehicles, they actually have two reasons for being a better clamp to be applied,

1) Easier installation. You can use either a small socket and ratchet or a flat blade screw driver. You don't have to try to fit those channel locks or hose clamp ring pliers into small difficult locations.

2) Larger surface area as well as no slip or metal fatigue from removal/ installation. The flat band is stronger and covers more surface area when you tighten it up. It will not slip or become weak over time(spring tension). Spring steel over time will loose some of its holding power. Same as leaf spings over time and load, will flatten out (like the ole Gen 2 4runner sag)

The big reason the manufacturer uses the spring wire style is it is about 10% of the cost and speed of installation on an assembly line. Most any autoparts stores do not carry the OEM hose clamps. Yes your dealer will carry them but thats because they are the ones the factory uses and manufactures so they will carry them for replacement. The OEM spring wire clamps do a fine job but replacing them with the screw band or aviation style stainless steel clamps gives you more piece of mind and ease of use.

They are the same clamp whether you buy them from an auto parts store of the local big box hardware outlet. When ever I need to change out a hose or other line and there is a spring wire clamp, I replace it with a band style stainless clamp and never have an issue after installation or rust problem.