Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
View Poll Results: Which Rack Should I Buy?
Con-Ferr
15.00%
Surco
25.00%
Yakima
35.00%
Other
25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Which Rack and Why

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Rack and Why

I am thinking of a Roof Rack Purchase. So far I am leaning toward Con-Ferr Safari type of rack, with the Surco a close second. There is also the BVG AdventureRak, and Garvin Wilderness Racks, Load Warrior by Yakima and the Playpen by Tule.

I really want to mount in the factory rack channels (as opposed to the existing bars, or aftermarket bars).

1. Which rack do you have and how do you like it?

2. Which would you install on a 2000 4Runner and why?

C'mon folks,

I really need your help!!
Old 09-10-2003, 01:44 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
THULE

15% off at www.rackattack.com was the first reason and I wanted a fairing. I just like the looks of them.

Yakima seemed overpriced and confusing to figure out exact equipment configurations.

Jackson has a THULE one and I liked his set up. Look on his site for pics as I don't have mine yet, but it is supposed to be here TODAY!!!! I'm stoked!!!!

Looks cool and mounts in factory racks which I just powder coated for $20 so I am all set to look cool, have lights, and haul junk. WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I paid $216.75 for:

430 Feet
430 load bars
locks
mounting kit
Fairing

Next comes a Surco roof rack and 4 Hella 500s on the front and some back up lights on the back of the rack.

I have a 2000 as well.

Brian

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 09-10-2003 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:45 PM

I chose the Con Ferr rack because that is the one I have. Its a very sweet rack. Bigger then the Yak or any other ive seen. I think it was $240 new but I got it for $75 from a guy that was moving.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:47 PM
Banned

High enough?1

Originally posted by BigBadBlue
I chose the Con Ferr rack because that is the one I have. Its a very sweet rack. Bigger then the Yak or any other ive seen. I think it was $240 new but I got it for $75 from a guy that was moving.
Blue,

You are going to be up there with 7" aren't you?

$75 from a guy who is moving does not constitute which one you would buy, it means you are either lucky or cheap or BOTH!!!

Brian
Old 09-10-2003, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

I am in the same situation. I want a cargo rack, but I am not sure what to go with.

After doing hours of research, it appears as though the SURCO is the best deal. Although with mounts you are approaching $200, so it really isnt that far from the others.

Yakima's Load Warrior is also a viable option. I see them go for $175 on ebay all the time.

Whatever you do, dont forget the cost of the mounts when calculating the cost. Those suckers are spendy!
Old 09-10-2003, 01:59 PM
Banned

Be even more careful

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
I am in the same situation. I want a cargo rack, but I am not sure what to go with.

After doing hours of research, it appears as though the SURCO is the best deal. Although with mounts you are approaching $200, so it really isnt that far from the others.

Yakima's Load Warrior is also a viable option. I see them go for $175 on ebay all the time.

Whatever you do, dont forget the cost of the mounts when calculating the cost. Those suckers are spendy!
If you get load bars to support the rack and make it sturdier, you are looking at more like $400 for the footing, the load bars, the rack, the mounts from the rack to the bars, locks, fairing etc.

Brian
Old 09-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

Well there are clamps for the factory load bars, or feet for the factory rack gutters - your choice. Those seem to be an additional $25 - $50 depending on where you get them.

Then there is the option that you mentioned, which is really expensive.

I currently have a Thule Rack with load bars, fairing, ski attachment, etc...only problem is it is a gutter mount for a Civic.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:11 PM

Re: High enough?1

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
Blue,

You are going to be up there with 7" aren't you?

$75 from a guy who is moving does not constitute which one you would buy, it means you are either lucky or cheap or BOTH!!!

Brian
Lucky to have gotten the $240 rack for $75 YES! Cheap, I say I will look for a bargain and hop on the gravy train when a sweet product like a Con Ferr Rack comes along. 7 inches of lift is where I will be very soon.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

So far the Con-Ferr best price is $340 from ORU ( who shares the building with Con-Ferr) for the 39x53 rack, floor and mounts to the factory channel. No shipping because it is 15 minutes from home.

Best Surco price is $192 including shipping 45X50 rack and CH100 mounts.

There is a pretty big difference in price, but the Con-Ferr seems stronger.

I really don't want to add bars or use the factory bars, and that is why I am leaning against the Yakima and Thule... Though they make great products overall. I have a Yakima Terra Firma Hitch mount with Rattler Straps for my Mountain Bike needs and they have the best customer service EVER!!
Old 09-10-2003, 03:11 PM

They accidentally shipped me a Surco Safari rack and I didn't assemble it but looking at the rack, it seems to be very sturdy square tubed framing. I think it's a good buy.

The good thing about Yakima is that you can go anywhere to get the attachments and they have shovel, hi-lift & spare tire mounts available. But mounts, rails & warrior can go $400. If you already have rails &mounts, Yak is cool--I have tons of Yak stuff, love it.

I think the Thule looks kinda cheap. Playpen describes it pretty well. I'm sure it's of good quality tho.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Contributing Member

I've seen a few Surco and ConFerr roof baskets and they seemed sturdy and looked good. Scott Monkeynuts has a surco one and I'm sure he's happy with it. I have the Yak rails now and I really like them, and I'm hoping to get the LoadWarrior with some lights on it soon.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Which Rack and Why

Originally posted by SkyRat
I am thinking of a Roof Rack Purchase. So far I am leaning toward Con-Ferr Safari type of rack, with the Surco a close second. There is also the BVG AdventureRak, and Garvin Wilderness Racks, Load Warrior by Yakima and the Playpen by Tule.

I really want to mount in the factory rack channels (as opposed to the existing bars, or aftermarket bars).

1. Which rack do you have and how do you like it?

2. Which would you install on a 2000 4Runner and why?

C'mon folks,

I really need your help!!
I've got the Conferr. I got it from Summit Racing for a little over $300 with floor kit and mount kit, shipping was free. It bolts right up to the factory slots after you remove the factory crossrails. You will need to go to the Conferr sit, get the part number and then type in the part number on the Summit site to find it.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:23 PM

I voted Surco because I think they look the best and I own one.

<shameless plug>
the one I have is for sale, 200 bucks includes rack, 6 total light tabs w/ 4 hella 500s and 2 wally world rectangular back up lights, and spare tire mount. Reason I have to part with it is that post SAS the truck was just to dang tall with it and would no longer fit in the garage. Don't want to ship but I guess I would if I absolutely had to. Can't imagine shipping being all that cheap...
</shameless plug>
Old 09-10-2003, 09:43 PM

TRD-YAK Rack Concept

Attached is a TRD concept that I am currently working on for my YAK rack. (Check out the attached file). The Lexan wind deflector has become bug-juiced beyond repair. I thought about it for a while and decided aluminum would look good on my millenium silver Yota. So...1/8" Alu-mini-um, a water-jet cutter and a little imagination and away we go. By the way, the two black bars on the "D" is necessary to keep the middle from falling out and they will be painted the TRD white and red.

If you get the YAK, feel free to use this concept if it appeals to you.

FYI...The pre-97 YAK's had a problem breaking the shields due to the material they were made of. Tap Plastics has done 1,000's of these exact replacements in ABS, etc. Check 'em out at www.tapplastics.com if you need one.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails Which Rack and Why-trd-yak-roof-rack.gif  
Old 09-11-2003, 03:41 AM
Banned

Re: TRD-YAK Rack Concept

Originally posted by emptyd

Attached is a TRD concept that I am currently working on for my YAK rack. (Check out the attached file). The Lexan wind deflector has become bug-juiced beyond repair. I thought about it for a while and decided aluminum would look good on my millenium silver Yota. So...1/8" Alu-mini-um, a water-jet cutter and a little imagination and away we go. By the way, the two black bars on the "D" is necessary to keep the middle from falling out and they will be painted the TRD white and red.

If you get the YAK, feel free to use this concept if it appeals to you.

FYI...The pre-97 YAK's had a problem breaking the shields due to the material they were made of. Tap Plastics has done 1,000's of these exact replacements in ABS, etc. Check 'em out at www.tapplastics.com if you need one.

Matt
That's a cool idea Matt. As I work in a fab shop and have access to all kinds of equipment and materials, that just might be my next mod with a few modifications to replace my Thule fairing. Nice creativity and functionality all rolled into one!

Brian
Old 09-11-2003, 03:56 AM
Contributing Member

I've been really impressed with my Wilderness rack by Garvin. It's a sturdy, low-profile rack. Does what it's supposed to do, which is haul gear. Comes with front and rear mounting points for light brackets and such. It's easy to add brackets to the sides for additional hardware (hi-lift). Plus my bros conferr is getting a lot of surface rust after a couple winters but my wilderness rack does not show any signs of rust. Surcos are not near as stout as the Conferr and Garvin racks, but are aluminum so are lighter and not going to rust.

Last edited by transalper; 09-11-2003 at 04:02 AM.