Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

R.i.p.

Old 11-25-2003, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R.i.p.

WEll....im dissapointed to say that the 4runner is now dead. Due to bent valve stems or rocker lifters orsomething. Soon to be found out tomorrow when i take the engine apart. Just thought i would share the pain...and wonder what you guys do to pull you though. ps. I got an auto mart mag.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

What did you do to the heads?? Pretty hard to bend the valves.. there are no rockers or lifters either.. The cam lobe rides on a "bucket" that has a shim sitting on top of the bucket, this bucket fits into the head over the top of the valve stem in a fashion that looks much like a piston head and connecting rod.. So unless you siezed the valve in the head.. it is pretty hard to have massive failure in there.. (now little leaks in the valve train that cause the motor run like crap.. Don't even get me started on that one!!)

PS.. Take a peek here for some good close ups of the head design..

Last edited by Firefyter-Emt; 11-25-2003 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

oh throw a 3.4L in her and call it a day!
Old 11-26-2003, 04:53 AM

FireFyter, thanks for the info and the pics. Im going to be needing guidance with this cause ive never taken a toyota engine apart. I was figuring it was a bent valve , i dont know what else it could be. Idels around 500rpm thats at running temp at a stop in gear. Once i come to a complete stop the idel drops to 300 pops back up to 500 and then it dies. I had to put it in neutral when i was slowing down all the way home. Im thinking the cause....retarded timing.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:28 AM
Contributing Member

I think you came to a pretty abrupt conclusion given the diagnostics mentioned. Why would you give up so easily? Is there more to the story?

You should confirm massive engine failure with a professional if you haven't already.

Best of luck.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:34 AM

ohh no...im not giving up. Im going to start the taking apart process today, if its not too cold. Im far from giving up. What im planning to do, is buy a cheap car for getting around (since my truck doesnt work now) then in spring, when the weather is warmer and ive got the parts, ill repair it. Then ill sell the truck for a different 4runner. Im wondering, the timing chain is a hard process on the 3.0 isnt it? Not sure. What are different problems that could have happend to my truck?
Old 11-26-2003, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

Well it could be a hundred things. If you bent or broke a mechanical object, usually you would hear knocking or clanking. Something as simple as an idle flux could be a number of things. I would invest in the FSM and a multi-meter and start there. Otherwise, I would have your intuitions confirmed by a Stealer. It could be something as simple as the VFM failing or much much worse.

See if you can pull a code.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:42 AM

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
It could be something as simple as the VFM failing or much much worse.
or a vacuum leak, or a clogged fuel filter or injector(s), or a dirty air filter, or a bad TPS, or a bad spark plug wire, or....

Don't take anything apart until you can properly diagnose the problem. Start with pulling any codes stored in the ECU. If you take it all apart now and find something that you think was the problem, you'll be hating yourself when it's all back together (a bunch of $$$ later too...) and it still misbehaves. Are there any abnormal noises?
Old 11-26-2003, 06:46 AM

Originally posted by Toyminator
Im wondering, the timing chain is a hard process on the 3.0 isnt it? Not sure.
Ok, I'm sorry but that's a big red flag. The 3.0 has a timing belt, not a chain. Honestly if you're not absolutely sure about what you're doing I'd recommend taking it to a mechanic and have them fix it for you. Please don't take this the wrong way, but if I have an engine that's not running right and I don't know alot about it I'll take it in to someone that does.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:09 AM

Yea, i wasnt sure if it was a chain or a belt. I saw a diagram that was using a chain. So i guess i concluded wrong. I guess i should reassure myself before i post something on a website that has people looking for mistakes in type-o's and renamed parts, instead of trying to provide me with help. I guess i did get some help, cause i know its a belt now. If your so sharp eyed, you would have noticed that I posted before that ive never taken a toyota engine apart. I guess this is just a learning experience for all of us. Thank you to the one that are helping.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:16 AM

Your idle seems too low to begin with. There is a large screw in the intake manifold that is right in front of you as you open the hood. Turn it counterclockwise to raise the RPM's to the correct 800 RPMs. Make sure your intake hose is tight - a little bit of air getting around the AFM will make the ECU think there is a lean condition and it will add/remove fuel at idle to compensate. Check all your vacuum hoses closely. What you describe sounds exactly like a failing AFM or air getting in the intake hose (cracks, not on tight) and a lean condition ensuing. If all that fails you can pull the codes and see if there is a failing sensor. None of the symptoms you describe sound like an internal mechanical failure but simply a failure of the ECU to maintain a proper steady idle.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:23 AM

Thank you victor, I recently did an (simiular to) deckplate mod. Could this have anything to do with it? I will adjust that needle as soon as soon as i get home. Also how would that explain the loud knocking im hearing? Sound like someone hitting a frying pan with a screw driver. No sound at a stop, a little gas...it starts to knock...the faster i go..the louder and faster the knock gets. Its not just i soft knock....its louder than my stereo.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

Any air by-passing the VFM will cause an idle flux and possible "popping" at low RPM. Make sure the intake track is airtight from the VFM back.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Toyminator
Thank you victor, I recently did an (simiular to) deckplate mod. Could this have anything to do with it? I will adjust that needle as soon as soon as i get home. Also how would that explain the loud knocking im hearing? Sound like someone hitting a frying pan with a screw driver. No sound at a stop, a little gas...it starts to knock...the faster i go..the louder and faster the knock gets. Its not just i soft knock....its louder than my stereo.
Here's my first thoughts when I read this. Is there any oil in the motor? I'm guessing there probably is but sometimes the answer is almost too obvious. How's the oil pressure look?

If it's knocking then maybe you threw a rod.

Good Luck

Old 11-26-2003, 10:23 AM

The oil pressure is just a bit below half...running temp. Its got oil, I know a mechanic in the area that is going to help me out this week that lives in the area. Hopefully us 2 can come up with something. Thanks for all the good luck.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

Before you go and do anything.. You have to do a compression test.. You should be at least 160-180 ish.. If you get a low reeading, add a little oil down the spark plug hole, and retest.. Did it go up?? Yes, then you have bottom end trouble (like rings) it it is low and it did not make a diffrence, it is in the heads.. But from what you have described, the last thing I would start with is pulling the heads.. As for the knock.. Could be timing.. you have to check that with a light and see where it is at. Your knock sensor wire could of broken or the knock sensor it self could of failed..

Do a compression test and get back to me.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Firefyter...

Firefyter, in your engine pics (third one down, on the right) ...
can anyone tell me what that round, silvery part is, to the right (toward the firewall) of the oil filter? Mine is leaking and I've ordered the seal and O ring, I just want to know what it is. Looks like that's where the oil filter was supposed to go!
Old 11-26-2003, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The oil pressure sender is the tiny one just to the left of the oil filter.
The one to the right of the filter as you see in the pic below I think is an oil cooler.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 11-26-2003 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks MTL...
Am I right in assuming that I just need to remove that bolt, extract the O ring and re-seat that gasket??
Old 11-26-2003, 09:01 PM

its only a 91 whaddaya mean R.I.P.?

you should have at least 10 more years on that.
This is YotaTech right? Or am I lost if FordsVille.

Fix it Man!

Good Luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R.i.p.