Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Questions on Purcahsing a Used 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions on Purcahsing a Used 4Runner

A couple of questions from a newbie. I've been monitoring the boards for a while and drooling over all the cool rides and imagining what I can do when I get mine but before I purchase anything I have a couple of questions.
1. I saw a thread on here relating to buyers remorse and being able to return the car to the dealer, my question is related to this but I was curious how this changes or if it does if you buy from a private party?
A little background: I'm going to look at a 99 Limited tonight that I'm strongly considering buying, only problem is between the time that I contacted the guy and the first opportunity to inspect the car another person made him an offer that he tentatively accepted. I talked him into holding off on accepting the offer until I had a chance to look and make him an offer, if I like what I see I will offer him there but since I don't have the time or light to do a full inspection tonight I want to take it into a mechanic and have him do a pre-purchase inspection. If the mechanic tells me to hold off on purchasing but I've already purchased so I don't let a good deal get buy can I still use buyers remorse to get out and return the car to a private party?
2. Anybody that has made it through my ramblings this far I appreciate it, this question is much shorter. From my research I have been unable to determine if you can retrofit the electric lockers into 99 and newer Limited 3rd Gens because of the new 4wd System.

Thanks for anything you can tell me.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:56 AM

i dont think its EASY to return a car. you guys may say it is but im pretty sure that the dealer or person is going to do everything they can to make you keep it. but i have no idea. im selling a honda i have right now and if someone tried to give it back to me i would tell them no. i would just say i spent all the money already. what can they do?
Old 02-25-2004, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by madmaniac
i dont think its EASY to return a car. you guys may say it is but im pretty sure that the dealer or person is going to do everything they can to make you keep it. but i have no idea. im selling a honda i have right now and if someone tried to give it back to me i would tell them no. i would just say i spent all the money already. what can they do?

Most of the lemon laws for private parties are only for safety issues that were not explained or disclosed up front by the seller.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:17 AM

Thanks for responses, I should have googled in the beginning. I found the answer on Oregon's DOJ page, not sure that this holds true in other states but in Oregon you have not three day period to respond.
Q: If I don't like the car I bought this weekend, can't I just return it within three days and get my money back?
A: No! Car buyers do not have this right. Once you sign the paper work, it will be difficult or impossible to undo the deal.

Still looking for info on the electric locker.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:01 PM
Contributing Member

Did you get it?