Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Question for the Puget Sound people

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for the Puget Sound people

Looking at buying a set of 4 Bilsteins from Central4wd in Kent. Has anyone had anything installed there before? How is their service?

Also, should I buy the tires before the shocks or vice versa? There's probably a 2 month time lag between the two projects.

thanks!
Old 03-25-2003, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Any particular reason you're going with Bilsteins? The order probably doesn't matter, I'd probably get the shocks done, then tires, and get a front end alignment at the same time you're getting the tires installed.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:49 AM

Just read good things about them. I'm primarily looking for a safer smoother ride. I read the OME's were stiffer/ harsher than the Bilsteins.

Corey's web site had a lot to do with my decision as well.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:52 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I had my Downey coils put on there spring of '99, and the mechanic at the time did not know his stuff.

I left the parking lot to get on the freeway and when I got on, I had no rear brakes
The guy did not bleed the brakes, and I almost rear ended another vehicle in traffic.

They have another guy there now who knows his stuff, and he put on my ARB bumper & winch.
First time he had done it on a Toyota, and he did a great job.

So yes, I do recommend them now.
Ask for Scott when you go in there, he's usually behind the counter.

Make sure the guy knows that the front Bilstein is often put in wrong, and that it needs to be seated right.
There are a few who have pics of the right way and the wrong way of how the spring seat looks.
It makes a big difference, and it has to be done correctly, or you end up sitting extra high in front I believe.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:19 PM

Hey 4Runna,
I ran the following OME's on my 97. It was a vast improvement from the stock setup.

The stock coils/shock gave a mushy loose floaty ride.
The OME setup gave a much more controlled ride.
Steering was more responsive. Turning was improved by less body roll.
Lastly, pot holes, RR tracks, etc. were soaked up by the OME setup.

On and off road the ride quality was far more superior.

Front Coils / Shocks Medium OME880 / Comfort N91SC
Rear Coils / Shocks Medium OME890 / Comfort N86C

Last edited by smr4runner; 03-25-2003 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:41 PM

Oh ya. Welcome to the forum.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:49 AM
Contributing Member

Ask for Scott when you go in there, he's usually behind the counter.

Thats who i usually deal with. He always takes his time to explain things to me.

Welcome aboard 4Runna.
Post when you go up to Central. I work right down the street.
I can swing by to say hi
Old 03-26-2003, 06:27 AM

Hey smr4runner,
Did you ever consider the Bilsteins vs. the OME's? Just curious how you came to that decision.

Either will undoubtedly be better than the stock shocks I have, but I might as well make an informed decision.

Thanks Corey for the info on Central4wd. I can actually find the shocks for cheaper on the internet, but the difference is small and I want to support our local economy here in WA.

Now I'm considering getting springs.

Must...put... down.... wallet.......

Toddski, I'll send you a PM when I head down there.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

Hey smr4runner,

Did you end up using spacers up front to level the vehicle? I bought the OME set-up for the rear, and am trying to figure out what to do with the front before I install anything. Based on what I saw in the catalogue, you only get 1.5" of lift from the OME set up in the front. Is this what you saw? I was just thinking about going with a 1" Cornbred spacer + OME's in the front to get a level vehicle.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:20 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 4Runna
[B]Hey smr4runner,
Did you ever consider the Bilsteins vs. the OME's? Just curious how you came to that decision.

Either will undoubtedly be better than the stock shocks I have, but I might as well make an informed decision.

I was originally going for the Bilsteins but after much research I opted for the OME's.

Reason:
I didn't know which coils (Downey's or Performance Products) to use with the Bilsteins.
After hearing the negative feedback on the PP coils and Bilstein combo (as advertised in the Performance Products magazine), I decided that the OME's would be the best combo since they (coils/shocks) are designed to work together.

Some folks say that you should not mix and match the OME coil or shocks with other brands as ride quality will be greatly affected. However Gene (aka DREAD) was running OME 881front/891rear coils with Bilsteins shocks and loved the ride.

Good luck
Old 03-26-2003, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
Hey smr4runner,

Did you end up using spacers up front to level the vehicle? I bought the OME set-up for the rear, and am trying to figure out what to do with the front before I install anything. Based on what I saw in the catalogue, you only get 1.5" of lift from the OME set up in the front. Is this what you saw? I was just thinking about going with a 1" Cornbred spacer + OME's in the front to get a level vehicle.
I found my documentation on my OME install last night.

On 4x4 wire I missed qouted and advised that I got about 2inches of lift but that info is incorrect.

I measured my lift after the install and I got 2inches of lift. I measured it again after a week and measured a little over 1.5". This was because the suspension settled after weight was put on it.
Concerned about my high ass, I contacted Dave at Confed Suspension. He advised that I wait a couple of months to see if I sag any. I measured again in August and lost about 1/8inch.
I couldn't stand the hot rod look so I purchased Confed spacers to correct it.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:49 AM
Contributing Member

SMR,

Thanks for the info- that's what I love about this board! I was debating on getting the SAW coilovers in the front, but was having a hard time justifying spending 650.00. The OME set-up will give me what I need. I don't plan on getting a bumper/winch any time soon, so no huge worries about extra weight on the front adding to sag.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

4runna,

Send me a message when you're thinking about getting tires- as much as I love the Revos, I'm thinking about switching to a more aggressive off-road tire, maybe mud terrains. I bike to work, so my Revos tires would have less than a thousand miles on them, and it'd be easy for you to take a look at them since we live so close.
Old 03-28-2003, 02:03 PM

MC,
I'll probably be in the market in the next month or so. I'll get the shocks first, but the tires would be right after.

thanks!