Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

question from a new guy!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question from a new guy!!

hello everyone my name is Donny O. and on wednesday i picked me up a 92 4runner with the 3.0/auto. it has a 3 inch body lift and 32X11.50's....and 186K miles. I previously had a 91 extended cab 4x4 with the 22re that I put a cam in from www.engnbldr.com.

anyway on to my question. on my way home from buying the truck the check engine light came on. i did some research and found how to check codes and what the codes mean from THIS SITE ....but that didn't tell me much. i'm getting code 11, 12, and 14. they are all related to signals getting to the ECU, but i'm not sure where to start and what to look for. I cleared them thinking it might have been a fluke or soemthing, but after about 40 miles the light came back on.

my wife wasn't to excited about me buying another vehicle in the first place so any help would be appreciated.......I would like to keep my wife as happy as possible!!
Old 02-21-2003, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

Post your question at this site, they know this stuff better.

Toyota 4x4 discussion
Old 02-21-2003, 03:57 PM

thanks I will post there also.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member

I can't help you with the problem Donny, but welcome to the forum anyway. I am sure that someone around here will know the answer to the question.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:39 PM

well I posted overe there also and got a few answers....most saying it was my ECM(ECU??) or a loose wire. anyway the light shut off on it's own and the truck is still running great!! as a matter of fact my wife took it out of town this weekend....I think she likes it!! WOOHOO!!!
Old 02-23-2003, 11:59 PM

Well seeing as all three codes are ignition related I'd first start looking for loose/corroded connectors or broken wires around the ignitor, as well as getting your hands on a factory service manual which will show you how to do diagnostic tests on your 4runner's systems.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Donny O.
anyway the light shut off on it's own and the truck is still running great!!
You didn't happen to leave the gas cap off for a little while while driving did you? the same thing happened to my wifes tacoma 4x4 and I realized she left the cap rolling around in the bed so I put it on and 30 minutes of driving later, the light went out.
Old 02-25-2003, 03:31 PM

Keisur I didn't leave the cap off but now that you mention it I did jsut put gas in it about 10 miles beofr ethe light came on and then the light went off right after the next time i put gas in it.

I did drop the truck off at the shop(independant guy that i know) today and had a oil change and check everything and grease everything and make sure everything was in good condition and all. other than needing an idler arm everything was in great shape and no leaks, or anything.

so far the only complaint I have is this thing like to drink the gas!! 2 days back and forth to work and i'm pushing it and sucking fumes. work is a 95ish mile round trip. almost need to put gas in it every day. I like the truck enough to make up for it though!!
Old 02-25-2003, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

Keisur I didn't leave the cap off but now that you mention it I did jsut put gas in it about 10 miles beofr ethe light came on and then the light went off right after the next time i put gas in it.

so far the only complaint I have is this thing like to drink the gas!! 2 days back and forth to work and i'm pushing it and sucking fumes. work is a 95ish mile round trip. almost need to put gas in it every day. I like the truck enough to make up for it though!!
May have just not had it on tight or something, yes, that's happened to us too :pat:

I used to have a drive like that too. I also used to be able to go about 320 to 350 on a tank of gas (running on fumes for a couple) but now that I have the 33's, I get to 275 and that's pushing it, not litterally but almost hand on bumper into the gas station. I have to regear sometime to recoop and also to get some of my power back, probly the summer will be that time. I'll go to either 4.88's or 5.29's.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:09 PM

a little off topic, but starting next week my drive will be longer and I will have to fill every day. my job is moving and I will be about 90 miles, or 2 hours each way....mostly 55MPH roads, and going through small towns. I don't really want to quit my job but it might not last long with a drive like that. i've been doing the other for 9 years but doubling it is crazy!!

i'm guessing my 32's with stock gear don't help any!!
Old 02-25-2003, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

a little off topic, but starting next week my drive will be longer and I will have to fill every day. my job is moving and I will be about 90 miles, or 2 hours each way....mostly 55MPH roads, and going through small towns. I don't really want to quit my job but it might not last long with a drive like that. i've been doing the other for 9 years but doubling it is crazy!!

i'm guessing my 32's with stock gear don't help any!!
I don't know much about the cheese state but I lived in the great lakes state for half my prepubescent years. can't you move closer to the job? assuming you like it of course.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:29 PM

I could but I really love where I live.....quiet rural neighbor hood on the lake and right outside of town....and been there my whole life. plus we jsut bought a buisness and it's better to stay close to that. I might even quit my job and stay home with the kids and let my wife run the buisness. it's a hair salon. www.hairdesignsplus.com so now even finding something closer to home but taking a paycut(i'm making pretty good money for only a 2 year degree) it would be alright cuz the salon brings in as much as I do if not more with write offs and such. bad thing is I would need to pay helath insurance out of my own pocket.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:40 PM
Contributing Member

I hear ya there. I keep telling my wife that when she makes as much as me I'm going to quit and just windsurf, 4wheel and fish all day every day.

btw, cute kids. I'm trying to talk the wife into having one but she thinks it's too soon. what?!! I'm 33 and she's 29. in my opinion we're right in the window! I gotta get me a boy so I have someone to mow the lawn and fetch tools, haha, kidding.

Last edited by keisur; 02-25-2003 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:46 PM

yup I figure in the summer the kids and i could spend all day out on the boat, or in the sidecar cruising the country side, or traveling the country in the Z28 for car shows. she has pretty much had the past 4 years off...since our oldest dautghter was born....so now it is my turn right. I get the next 4 off and then both kids will be in school and we can both work then....preferably part time and only when the kids are in school. yeah nice if it were a perfect world eh!! gotta have ideas and goals though!!

on a non related note I see your avatar is the crimson tide. the town I live in(edgerton Wi) the school teams are the Edgerton Crimson Tide, or the tiders as most call them.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

on a non related note I see your avatar is the crimson tide. the town I live in(edgerton Wi) the school teams are the Edgerton Crimson Tide, or the tiders as most call them.
cool, something related to that, I think Antonio Langham used to play for the Packers back in '93 or so, he was a Tide free safety. I think there's been a lot of our guys that played for both the Packers and the Vikes {ooh, sorry, I'll try not to use that bad word again}