Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Question on Dealership Quote for work?

Old 01-16-2012, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on Dealership Quote for work?

Hello all-

I appreciate any help. I have a 2002 limited 4wd 4runner. The front (cv) axle boots have rotted a bit and since the axle spin all the time--grease is being forced of the boot--making a mess. And probably not good for the axle either.

The reason I believe is that the rear coil springs have fatigued--which raises the front end--stretching the boots and wearing them out earlier than otherwise.

The dealer quoted me $370 per axle to replace just the boots and $430 per axle to replace the boots and axle.

The rear springs to be replaced--they said would be $700 - $800.

Are these quotes an accurate price for the work entailed or am I best go somewhere else?

I am in Jacksonville Florida now, if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Drew
Old 01-16-2012, 07:02 AM

I should also add the reason I am suspicious of the quote is because of the way the mechanic spoke to my wife--who dropped off the car and who is not mechanically incline. They tried to get her to agree to work that blatenly does not need to be done and their reasoning for the problem was that the car was "lifted" causing the problems.

Seems to me the it would be obvious to a mechanic at a toyota dealership, after examining the car--that the car is entirely stock. They just feel a bit sleezeball...
Old 01-16-2012, 07:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, front axles are pricey and $430 sounds about right. If you can do the work yourself, you can get the axels through an OEM Toyota dealer online for around $330 such as Toyotapartseast.com. It's not hard to do if you are somewhat mechanically inclined.

The rear springs quote is way over priced. Go to the above web site and enter your vin number and check out the prices. Then you can do your haggling from there. Also, to replace your rear springs is really easy...
Old 01-16-2012, 07:46 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Boots are like $30 per side. Takes a couple hours to replace the boots. No need for all new axles.
Rear springs cost $150 max and take 2 hours to replace.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:31 AM

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I am new to town and they just pressured my wife a bit--she knew enough to not do whatever they wanted.

I got a hold of a friend that has lived here locally. He recommended a mechanic that has a third generation local shop; a guy he went to high school with. That mechanic was pleasant to speak with and quoted me $340 to replace both axles and another $240 for the rear springs--saying he normally does not do spring work--and that was just a rough estimate on the springs.

So $580 total on the estimate. He also said he would look to see if he could find heavier duty springs or perhaps the (taller) 1999 model springs for the rear.

The dealership did work for us in the past--and they are convenient. They also offer niceties like a rental car for the day; however, after speaking with the toyota mechanic--and him seemingly filling me full of BS and trying to get my wife to commit to all kinds of work. I doubt I will go back to the dealership.

I do realize the dealership has much more overhead and other factors that add to their costs--however--really it just comes down to a gut feeling. My gut feeling says the mechanic at the dealership--was simply trying to rip me off. And the other local mechanic was just a normal guy--nice enough to just explain my options--and actually didn't want to do the springs--saying he normal does engine work. But that he would because of our mutual friend.

Thanks guys

Drew

Last edited by Alaska; 01-16-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:30 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Interesting around here you don`t even talk with a mechanic at the dealer it is all the service writers .

Who get a base plus commission so the more work they sell the better the paycheck

Unless they had it up on the lift even then most customers are not allowed in the shop.

Glad you found someone
Old 01-16-2012, 02:18 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by scuba
Boots are like $30 per side. Takes a couple hours to replace the boots. No need for all new axles.
Rear springs cost $150 max and take 2 hours to replace.

USED SPRINGS.

Make sure you include the word USED when you tell someone that.

If he buys all new parts from the dealer, his price quotes are correct.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:49 PM

My conversations were with both a sales rep and a mechanic. Kind of a good cop and bad cop routine. By the end, the mechanic spoke through the sales rep, but never backed off or apologized for pressuring my wife. The sales rep tried to smooth things out.

I got them down to $450 on the replacement coils, but they would not move on the cv replacements. Really, money is less of a factor... My wife and I are not strapped for cash at the moment. I just don't trust either the rep or the mechanic at the dealership now. The wife was pretty upset--whatever specifically they said to her. I have to take her word for it, and I also don't like having to haggle every time I need something done.

My plan was to just drop the car off in the morning, get a reasonable estimate, say okay, and pick the car up that afternoon. I didn't want to even think about any of this. just wanted it done. Any price in the ball park would have had me. However, the $700-800 coil replacement set off alarm bells--even for a novice mechanical type like myself.

The local guy--who normally I would be skeptical of--had a good recommendation from a trustworthy friend, and he was so much better at explaining things--without the sales pressure.... I hope he works out.

To the dealership's credit i asked if they wanted me to pay for the rental car that my wife used to go to work--they said--do not worry about it.

Last edited by Alaska; 01-16-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:06 PM

Well, I work at dealer & the cv s sound about right. Springs too high. At this point though. If they gave you a reason not to trust them you are not comfortable. Take it somewhere else. You will never be satisfied with them if you dont trust them. We have a strict policy against trying to sell un needed repairs. Yes we will let you know and give you an estimate of any other needed repairs or maintenance, advise you of which is most important, then leave the rest up to you. If you want to repair or maintain,fine,if not thats ok as well. It is after all your vehicle. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:57 AM

Here is a link to the 99 4Runner Springs for the rear.

http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/t...231-35210.html

There is no way I would let them install them for that price.