Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Proud of my 01 Tacoma/Never let me down.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proud of my 01 Tacoma/Never let me down.

This past Saturday I took my son and grandson for a ride back in the old mines and on some really rough trails that I haven't been on for a while. Got through some hair raising spots without rolling and then hit some areas where you have to drive down a river bed for about 3 miles to get to the next logging road. I've been down this river rout many times but it has been a while.
We were driving along just fine and they were having a ball and then trouble hit! The front of my Tocoma slid off a gravel bed with the left front end under the water and into a DEEP hole, water was coming in my window and I tried to back up but the gravel just gave way more. I put it in 4 low and 1st gear and headed forward knowing that it would either put me upside down in the river or back up to a safer level. We were real close to rolling over.
The truck creeped forward without missing a beat with the fan throwing water and drove me right out like it was enjoying the whole thing! The engine never missed once and that little 2.7 had all the power I needed and more.It's hard to believe that the engine never stalled . I wash that 2.7 with a preasure hose all the time, it looks like new and I never had a problem so I guess I should have known it would be fine. Now I have been in some bad spots before and rolled a time or two over the years but this was just a little nerve racking.
Checked the transmission , all the running gears and tranfer cases for water and everything is fine. Used my wifes scrubber to suck up the water in the carpet (3 quorts) and a fan to help dry it out and it runs like new. "I LOVE MY TACOMA" !!! Mike
Old 07-11-2005, 03:16 PM
Contributing Member

haha sounds like toyota truck advertising fodder! Glad you got through and sounds fun!
Old 07-11-2005, 04:35 PM

Nice! that recently happened to me, only I sucked water in my engine, broke my radiator fan shroud and blew a motor mount. I still say my YOTA never lets me down though
Old 07-11-2005, 04:52 PM

Yep, Spent alot of time off road over the years and have owned nothing but 4x4 for many years of one kind or another. I really can't say that I have enjoyed or trusted any of them as much as I do the Tacoma.
My first four banger was a 1947 Willeys and in low range it would climb a wall if you let it and so will this 2.7 Tacoma . Don't have a bit of trouble zipping around these mountains with 500 extra pounds of man and gear (tools) all day long.
I'm hoping others will chime in here and tell us about there Toyota too. I'm tired of hearing so many people posting the negitive . If you don't like your Toyota ....SELL IT!!!! and quit moaning! Mike
Old 07-11-2005, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds like you got a few gray hairs out fo that adventure! My 01 is great too but I think you had a little luck as well! I always hear about the fans exploding when they hit water.

My '01 just broke 100k last week and I didn't realize it until this past weekend. Go Taco go!
Old 07-11-2005, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its a good thing that the left side went down because the air intake and computer are on the right side, your lucky that you didn't hydrolock it
Old 07-11-2005, 05:32 PM

What do you guy's mean I was "LUCKY"! No luck at all, It was all skillfull driving by an expert 4-wheeler! When it kept running and pulled up out of the hole without rolling, no one was more surprised than I was.
Then when I found out that there was no water in the air box the transmission or the transfer cases I was really surprised. I did hear some metalic sounds for a little while but we found out it was just soak and wet brakes. As soon as they dried out the truck ran like new.Drove it about 80 miles today and it runs perfect.