Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Pros Help with selling a Runner

Old 05-30-2005, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pros Help with selling a Runner

:cry:
the wife is making me sell my truck.
Its a 1995 Sr5 V6 with 119K miles on it.
Just a question for the pro's out there, how much could I get with the following problems existing with the truck:
-No AC
-Slight fender and quarterpanel damage on front pass. side
-Rebuilt Jasper engine with about 6k miles on it

The Truck is 4wd, has a power moonroof, power everything.
There are a few things I did to it also that could make it worth a little more such at 5% tint and a boom-bangin stereo system. Please any info will help. I stress I HAVE to do this, not WANT to do this.

Last edited by GA95Runner; 05-30-2005 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

manual or auto? I've seen ones like that around here sell for about 9-12 grand or so, I'd expect it to be in the 9-10 range because of the damage...sorry to hear about your loss
Old 05-30-2005, 09:19 AM

no way 9-10, thats how much my brother picked up his 2000 runner in perfect condtion. i say 4k or 5k
Old 05-30-2005, 09:51 AM

its an auto
Old 05-30-2005, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

wow...thats just what I got from lookin at local ads, i thought it sounded a little high but I would think it would bring at least 7 as thats what 94 trucks bring
Old 05-30-2005, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Why are you having to sell it? With no ac and body damage- 4 to 5k.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try www.edmunds.com for their TMV pricing ...and compare it with www.kbb.com and www.nada.com

I found Kelly Blue Book Pricing along with NADA pricing to be on the high side.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:59 AM

gotta plan for the future, houses and babies, this rig drinks gas and I commute to work everyday, its getting mad expensive
Old 05-30-2005, 10:08 AM

There are to many of these threads around, they are starting to depress me. Maybe it is a naive 24 year old view (I am married though) but I don't think I would ever ditch my yota, not going to happen. I would get rid of other things first, like dsl, cell phone, clothes, and food, then maaaaaybbbbeeeee the yota would go.
I agree, check edmunds and kelly blue book, price it a little higher than they say and be willing to lower the price a bit, the first thing people will ask when they call is if you would take (fill in price), then you can say no, but you will lower it to (again fill in price) so they at least feel like they got a deal.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:10 AM

I am also 24 and I and I thought I would never do this, but it does make sense to drive around in a honda or something for a while so I can stack money to eventually get a new rig. I'm trying to keep a positive perspective
Old 05-30-2005, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

hmmm, sell the rig for houses and babies. hmmm, wheelin or changing diapers. hmmm, wheelin or repairing house. hmmm, sell the wife and house... wheelin... hmmm.

just kidding on selling the house, i mean wife! sorry to hear you have to part with your rig.

lee
Old 05-30-2005, 04:17 PM

seriously, it seems too much of the time people are stating it as "the wife is making me sell it." Tell her to sell her wordrobe and stop shopping, she'll change her tune. But then again i am not married, but my current and ex girlfriend both drove 4runners so they would never do such a thing. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:13 PM

Dude, Tom Leykis would have a hayday with you. Why the hell are you involved with a woman (i.e. married) at the age of 24? You're too young to be having babies. Why don't you wait until your guys relationship is a little more concrete IE having been married at least several years, and you are at least around 28 years old, minimum. Have some balls. This is your rig. If you guys have to compromise so much as to sell your vehicle, when you clearly don't want to, maybe you guys can't properly afford a child yet? Plus, imagine this - you sell your vehicle, you get hosed there with deprecitation, etc, you buy another vehicle to save $$$, somewhere down the line when you trade this vehicle in to get the vehicle you supposedly want that you somehow think you will mysteriously have a wad of cash saved up, you will get hosed again. But I seriously doubt you will buy a car, and then eventually in five or seven years get the vehicle you want i.e. another solid rig. This is what could also happen. You get her pregnant, you're driving some Honda Civic so you can pay of this baby. Then she wants another baby. Now you're having to work harder, and drive this crappy car to pay for the next baby. All of a sudden she's not working for a solid five or eight years, you're driving this Honda Civic, and by that time you will NOT have this wad of cash saved up. That wad of cash will be to 1) Pay for all these babies 2) Pay for her to live while she has all these babies 3) Pay for housing, etc. 4) Since you guys are too young to have babies anyways, statistics point at maybe the potential that you get hosed down the line and she takes you for allimony, and child support and you're on the hook for 18 years drivin a Honda Civic with no wad of cash for a rig.

I recommend that you wait another 3 years, minimum, and save up to have the baby. Not you compromise so she can have her baby, which clearly sounds like she's made the deciison for you and you've ˟˟˟˟˟ whipped out. Grow some balls. If she doens't like it, she can get out. Seriously. Do you really want a baby, NOW? Why can't you wait? What do you gain by having a child that you can't afford to the extent that you can't afford YOUR rig so she can have HER baby? You have nothing to gain by having one now but everything to gain by having one later. I would have at least several thousand dollars in the bank before having a child. It doesn't sound like you have this. Do you have a stable, healthy home, with good careers, the both of you? Do you anticipate raises, moving up the company chain? What if you lost your job, would you have no problem finding work somewhere else with your educational background?

You don't have to compromise as much as you are doing if you would just wait. You have EVERYTHING to gain by waiting.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:54 PM
Contributing Member

We should change the title of this thread to "Marriage Counseling: Automobiles; How To Part With Your Yota"

I'm just kidding man, I'm going through the same thing except I was the one who wanted to sell my old rig.

I am asking about 7 for my old Runner...but its got quite a few more mods than yours. Id say start it at 6k and work your way down...start high!

Fink
Old 05-30-2005, 10:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
Dude, Tom Leykis would have a hayday with you. Why the hell are you involved with a woman (i.e. married) at the age of 24? You're too young to be having babies. Why don't you wait until your guys relationship is a little more concrete IE having been married at least several years, and you are at least around 28 years old, minimum. Have some balls. This is your rig. If you guys have to compromise so much as to sell your vehicle, when you clearly don't want to, maybe you guys can't properly afford a child yet? Plus, imagine this - you sell your vehicle, you get hosed there with deprecitation, etc, you buy another vehicle to save $$$, somewhere down the line when you trade this vehicle in to get the vehicle you supposedly want that you somehow think you will mysteriously have a wad of cash saved up, you will get hosed again. But I seriously doubt you will buy a car, and then eventually in five or seven years get the vehicle you want i.e. another solid rig. This is what could also happen. You get her pregnant, you're driving some Honda Civic so you can pay of this baby. Then she wants another baby. Now you're having to work harder, and drive this crappy car to pay for the next baby. All of a sudden she's not working for a solid five or eight years, you're driving this Honda Civic, and by that time you will NOT have this wad of cash saved up. That wad of cash will be to 1) Pay for all these babies 2) Pay for her to live while she has all these babies 3) Pay for housing, etc. 4) Since you guys are too young to have babies anyways, statistics point at maybe the potential that you get hosed down the line and she takes you for allimony, and child support and you're on the hook for 18 years drivin a Honda Civic with no wad of cash for a rig.

I recommend that you wait another 3 years, minimum, and save up to have the baby. Not you compromise so she can have her baby, which clearly sounds like she's made the deciison for you and you've ˟˟˟˟˟ whipped out. Grow some balls. If she doens't like it, she can get out. Seriously. Do you really want a baby, NOW? Why can't you wait? What do you gain by having a child that you can't afford to the extent that you can't afford YOUR rig so she can have HER baby? You have nothing to gain by having one now but everything to gain by having one later. I would have at least several thousand dollars in the bank before having a child. It doesn't sound like you have this. Do you have a stable, healthy home, with good careers, the both of you? Do you anticipate raises, moving up the company chain? What if you lost your job, would you have no problem finding work somewhere else with your educational background?

You don't have to compromise as much as you are doing if you would just wait. You have EVERYTHING to gain by waiting.
wow...worst advice ever? hahah i'm kidding, i guess..

he said he needs to plan for the future because the yota drinks gas.

So your advice is too keep dumping money into an old body damaged no a/c truck that uses to much gas. Instead of getting a newer ecomony car so he can save money for his and wifes future?

I think its a wise thing planning for your future. A house is more important then a car, as long as the car is reliable. But if you can only get 4-5k for it you might want to hang on to it since the money you will save in gas will be spent on a higher car payment. If the motor only has 6k miles on it, its gonna be hard to beat the reliablity. Might want to save up a little cash and fix the fender and A/C (i'm assuming its broken? seems like it has power everything). Your wife is probably right in the matter though, starting and raising a family is tough and requires alot of preparation.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:46 AM
Contributing Member

There will always be time for another Yota rig . . . sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. I got the house 10 years ago, now in my 40s, got a boat, a vintage VW (cruising toy) convertible, and drive a 10 year old Runner, in short everything I need. Make a solid financial plan and stick to it, and you'll have more $$$ and toys in the long run.
I say start at no less than $6K. Also what would it take to fix the A/C? Around these parts that would be a sticky selling point (here in humidity central). Best of luck.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CynicX
wow...worst advice ever? hahah i'm kidding, i guess..
Not to be an a$$, but I think you talked yourself into agreeing with him.

That is, in general the cheapest car you will ever have is the one you own now. In this case I'd be shocked if a damaged 10 year old runner w/no ac got more than 4k on the market. If you can get a used car that cost plus repairs won't be more than 4k, then we've found the exception to the rule.

Gas cost: 15k miles / year @ 30 mpg instead of 20 mpg = 250 gallons per year difference. Pick your gas price and calculate the savings (at $2.20 per gallon that's $550 per year).

So, if you're getting rid of the rig to save 500$ per year, you can't afford a baby for that price.

I'm not saying that 500$ per year should be thrown away. I'm suggesting that if you believe all the traditional advice about finances etc, there needs to be deeper more fundamental changes to the budget (i.e. credit cards and car payments vs. higher paying jobs etc).

Point being the referenced "advice" wasn't put forth in a pleasing manner, but that doesn't mean its not correct.

2 cents.

Last edited by Bennito; 05-31-2005 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:32 PM

Heres the thing, The civic I would be driving would already be paid for, she has an extra car (who really has an EXTRA car) so there would be no extra car payments, in turn SAVING a good bit of money. The AC has been quoted to me at $600 for parts/labor. thanks for the input guys...both single AND married