Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Problem getting into first gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem getting into first gear

Whenever i put my truck into first gear and lift the clutch it makes a horrible grinding noise. If i keep cranking on it eventually it will go in and after it's in...it works great.
But i can't bare to hear the grinding so second gear power is a constant thing for me. I just put a new clutch in [this problem has been haunting me since before i put the clutch in] and just replaced the slave cylinder and tranny fluid as well.
I pulled the inspection plate and i started pushing the guide block into different gears to check for movement and i decided to put it in first and try it out...just because. I fired 'er up and low and behold...first gear!! Not to get excited...because nothing is ever that easy with me...i turned off the truck and tried different gears and finally...first again.

As you can see from the picture [the circled portion] the guide pin is not going all the way in...as it did the first time i tried. Every time after the first time...the truck would not go into first and would just grind...meaning the pin wasn't engaging enough. BUT WHY!! WHY!!!!
<--good representation of my feelings...

If anyone could help me with this little dilemma...it would be GREATLY appreciated.

-Thanks
Old 11-08-2004, 08:49 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Sounds like maybe the bushing on the bottom of the shift lever or the seat in the shifter housing is shot or missing. You might pull the shifter (it's easy) and have a look.

edit: the pic didn't load for me the first time....

Last edited by Flamedx4; 11-08-2004 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:15 PM

thanks anyways...
damn...i think i stumped a land of toyota gurus...

well that's not good...
Old 11-09-2004, 11:49 AM

check the shaft to ensure it's not bent

I've never heard of this happening on a Yota, but a friend of mine had a dodge and the culprit was a bent shaft. don't know how hard it would be to pull the shaft to check if it's bent?

Originally Posted by apaka
Whenever i put my truck into first gear and lift the clutch it makes a horrible grinding noise. If i keep cranking on it eventually it will go in and after it's in...it works great.
But i can't bare to hear the grinding so second gear power is a constant thing for me. I just put a new clutch in [this problem has been haunting me since before i put the clutch in] and just replaced the slave cylinder and tranny fluid as well.
I pulled the inspection plate and i started pushing the guide block into different gears to check for movement and i decided to put it in first and try it out...just because. I fired 'er up and low and behold...first gear!! Not to get excited...because nothing is ever that easy with me...i turned off the truck and tried different gears and finally...first again.

As you can see from the picture [the circled portion] the guide pin is not going all the way in...as it did the first time i tried. Every time after the first time...the truck would not go into first and would just grind...meaning the pin wasn't engaging enough. BUT WHY!! WHY!!!!
<--good representation of my feelings...

If anyone could help me with this little dilemma...it would be GREATLY appreciated.

-Thanks
Old 11-09-2004, 06:30 PM

well okay...that seems reasonable and something to check out...

so new question...

anyone have any idea about how to remove the guide pins?
something to do with that bolt above the circle slot in the picture?
stupid thing...