Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

prepairing for winter? New to snow

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 05:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
prepairing for winter? New to snow

I currently live in TN, but in January i am going to be working out midwest. That means snow to me I already have good snow tires bfg all terrians, and by january i will have a selectable rear locker. I know to have a bag of sand or kitty litter with me.

I am going to flush the radiator, new fluids in everything, new fuel filter, and new plugs and wires.

Since my truck is pretty much totally rust free, am thinking about undercoating my 4runner.

I was thinking first clean really well at the car wash, thenspray with duplicolor rust fix.

Then recoat with some duplicolor truck bed lining or some rustoleum.
what do you guys think of this combination?

Any other suggestions to do before my 4runner sees the snow?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2007, 06:02 AM

when doing all my fluids i am going to convert to synthetic oils.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have a rope to pull little cars out!!! i made probably $250 pullin people out last year in a week when us here in colorado got pounded by snow... lol
Old 10-22-2007, 07:37 AM

I't doesent matter how well your rig is maintained carry warm clothes, gear, food, water. beacuse while you may have total control over your rig that dosent mean someone won't run into you.

I live in a college town and when it first snows EVERYONE gets on the road to check it out. And they have never even heard of snow by their actions on the road.

Be careful and watch out for the other guy!
Old 10-22-2007, 07:55 AM

Thanks, guys
I have driven on the snow before, family in Iowa and Connecticut. I know to carry straps, food, clothes ,etc. I know to be worried about the other drivers, but the places i am going to work are out in the middle of nowhere. So i am just a little concerned with getting her ready to run properly in the cold.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:55 AM

Allow yourself plenty of stopping distance, don't tailgate.

Watch out for the "Other Guy".

Where I'm from there are always alot of transplant people from no-winter states, it takes them 2-3 snowfall's to figure out how to drive in the white stuff. The body shops love them though.

Practice stopping, turning, accelerating in an low traffic area.

Take time to scrape off all the windows after a snowfall/ice event, before you drive.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
Take time to scrape off all the windows after a snowfall/ice event, before you drive.
that's got to be the most annoying thing about snowfall. around here people are for the most part prepared (we get enough of the stuff) but you always get the one jackass with bald all season tires sliding all over the road, unable to see anything cause he was too damn lazy to wipe off the snow. driving around with all windows covered up with snow except for the tiny patch his wipers were able to remove, which is still useless cause he didn't let the car heat up and it's all fogged up inside anyways.

god i hate driving in winter, only because of the other people on the road. otherwise it's fun as hell!
Old 10-22-2007, 08:53 AM
CJM

Heres a neat trick to getting ice off: take the scraper and make a large X on the window and then scrape, it comes off that much easier.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:01 AM

turn into a spin don't over steer as for rust I got a 1980 camero from a old guy and he had rtv siliconed every joint on the car all the wheel wells every thing and that car still has no rust on it.
I think he used the household window&door silicone
Old 10-22-2007, 09:02 AM

Man, if you're going to be out in the middle of nowhere, I'd get some tire chains just incase a freak storm hits you. And make sure that your phone has reception where ever you're going to be travelling. And maybe get a CB radio.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

Make sure you have a warm blanket and some survival candles in the car in addition to the food/water [just don't leave the water in the car all the time or it will freeze on you lol]. Get a block heater, it will shorten your warm up times. Make sure you wipe the snow off the hood [and roof if you can reach it] as well as the windows. If you have a ways to go out in to the sticks make sure someone knows when you are leaving and when you will be arriving and your route so if something happens they have an idea when and where to look for you.
For rust protection try Krown rust proofing, They give you a guarantee and everything, there are others but I only have experience with Krown.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:08 AM
Banned

watch out for the idiots, all i have to say!!

also what fluids are you using? may wana use thinner like 75w90 for gears, not sure for oil though.

clean off the car after every run you make in the snow on the road, even if its in colorado, mag chloride can still eat away at metal, just get it washed.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:53 AM

+1 Phone ahead, like aviator said, and let them know your route. If know one knows you are missing who will begin to look?
Old 10-22-2007, 10:58 AM

Thanks guys,
I have a cb radio, depending on where i go i may do a block heater and snow chains.
Going to have survival stuff.

I know a guy thats a amsoil dealer so i am using all amsoil synthetics.
I think am going to run
-synthetic manual trans fluid 75w90 in the tranny and transfer (gl4)
-synthetic gear lube 75w90 in everything else
-don't know about the engine oil yet

Watch out for idiots, keep it all clean.

I am so glad i have this 4runner, i don't think my gti would have gone on the roads i am going to drive one. For the company i work for we make windfarms, and we have to make our own roads to get to the areas. So the roads aren't exactly paved or smooth.

Maybe i can trick my parents into buying me a winch for safety

I cant wait to get out of TN, and be on my own for a bit. It will be a nice vacation.

Last edited by crolison; 10-22-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:14 AM

Having come from Virginia and moved to Wisconsin about 12 years ago, I found the adjustment not too bad. When you get some decent snow on the ground, try to find a wide open parking lot and test how your vehicle handles. Put it into situations where traction control comes on, where you are trying to stop, etc. Get a sense of what happens when you lose control.

You won't be needing that locker and your gear oils will be fine. I use synthetic all around, but that's a choice and not a necessity.

I've found a pattern where when we get the first big snowfall of the year, everyone forgets how to drive in the snow. We get a pile of wrecks. The rest of the season is OK. Maybe it gets the riff-raff off the road, but it's a key time to be very careful.

Remember that 4x4 will help you move forward, but doesn't do crap for you when you want to stop. Give yourself much more distance in front of you. You can't control the idiot that's tailgating you, so just accept it and pay attention.

I also remember that unless you have the AWD option on your 4WD, you can damage your drivetrain by keeping it in 4x4 on dry pavement. That's the part I didn't like. You'll find roads going from good to bad to good again in a relatively short distance. With my old Toyota PU, I just kept it in 2WD and avoided driveline stress. That's why I like my 4Runner with the AWD option.

You'll be fine, and just accept that rust will happen.

MadCityRich
Old 10-23-2007, 06:23 AM

Thanks man,

I am not getting the locker for the snow And i am changing all the fluids because i have never done it before and don't know when the last time they were changed, except oil.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by MadCityRich
You'll find roads going from good to bad to good again in a relatively short distance.
Watching others will alert you of danger.
Last winter I guess I got used to driving in SOCAL and was driving down the road here at home, hit a patch of black ice. The rear end kicked out to the passenger side, and I began heading into oncoming traffic. Just as I was about to pass all of the way through the center turn lane the patch of ice ended, the tire caught and I was on my way. Sad thing was I looked in my rear view mirror and observed the pickup behind me doing the same thing. Too bad he was not paying attention, he would have been able to avoid the hazard.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:04 AM

No matter how well you prepare rust will happen unless you take it to a reputable dealer to get an undercoating put on. My bud had it done on his taco and its been in snow/salt its entire life and not a bit of rust anywhere! I got a quote for $180 and thats good for 2 years.

Another way to help keep your truck free of rust is after every major snow fall go to a do-it yourself car wash and wash the hell out of the undercarriage.

My 4runner isn't from the midwest so there is very little rust, I'm thinking about the undercoat this year though since I plan on keeping it for a while.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by crolison
I currently live in TN, but in January i am going to be working out midwest. That means snow to me I already have good snow tires bfg all terrians, and by january i will have a selectable rear locker. I know to have a bag of sand or kitty litter with me.

I am going to flush the radiator, new fluids in everything, new fuel filter, and new plugs and wires.

Since my truck is pretty much totally rust free, am thinking about undercoating my 4runner.

I was thinking first clean really well at the car wash, thenspray with duplicolor rust fix.

Then recoat with some duplicolor truck bed lining or some rustoleum.
what do you guys think of this combination?

Any other suggestions to do before my 4runner sees the snow?

Thanks
dont wast your money on the duplicolar crap buy some por-15 trust me thats all i ever use now, rustoleum is compared to this stuff and a little bit goes along way too