Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Pre runner bar on a 3rd gen?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pre runner bar on a 3rd gen?

I want to do somthing to the front of my third gen. Since I was doing a little pre runner setup on my truck. I figure i go with a pre runner bar. But I havent found one for the 4runner yet. I could fit the one from the 95-97 tacoma. But I havent found any picture that I could do a decent layout plan. So what do you guys think, is that somthing that should not be ona 4runner? Or would you guys do it?
Old 06-08-2004, 08:14 AM

I think you should make your 4Runner look like the way you want it to look and not go by what someone else would prefer. Go for the prerunner look, it would be something differnent here for a change.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

I wanted to put a pre-runner style bar on my 97 so I could mount my hella 500's to. Instead, I am going to go with an ARB someday....
Old 06-09-2004, 01:52 AM

I want to do this, pre runner bar. But I ran into some problomes today. I called around and only found the Tacoma ones. The problome is, here in Hawaii your not allowed to have anything obstruct your head lights. And most pre runner bars cut across the inner side of the headlight. But Im prob, gonna say screw it. And buy one. Anyone got a ny picture links to the bars?
Old 06-09-2004, 04:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigkahuna808
I want to do this, pre runner bar. But I ran into some problomes today. I called around and only found the Tacoma ones. The problome is, here in Hawaii your not allowed to have anything obstruct your head lights. And most pre runner bars cut across the inner side of the headlight. But Im prob, gonna say screw it. And buy one. Anyone got a ny picture links to the bars?

Check with calg3 - from what I remember, he has a bolt-on style on his '96. Looks neat, and different.

Andreas
Old 06-09-2004, 07:06 AM

I am using the Explorer Pro Comp Prerunner light hoop that is actually made for the Chevy trucks. Fits great and works fine on my 96 and cost less than $200 with the 8" lights, switch kit and relay from 4WParts. You can see a good picture of it here:

http://www.4x4wire.com/cgi-bin/galle...a.jpg&img=&tt=

Let me know if you would like any more pcitures of it.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:46 AM

Like this

Check out http://www.fabricationx.com/ . This is just one of many company's that sell prerunner type bars. Another place to check is the desert racing web sites. I don't have links on this computer but maybe someone else knows of one. There is a site that has readers rides with pictures and info on upgrades like bumpers.
Companys like the link above should be able to make the bars without that little side piece over the lights.
Search on the Pirate board for stuff like this also.
There is someone on Yotatech like Demello that now makes nice looking prerunner bumpers.
Sorry, my connection is really slow right now so I'm having trouble searching.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:16 AM

Hey Calg3 how did you mange to fit that light bar on your car? How much mods did you have to do?
Old 06-09-2004, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

calg3,
That looks pretty good on your rig.. What year chevy?
Old 06-10-2004, 05:52 AM

Hey Calg3 how did you mange to fit that light bar on your car? How much mods did you have to do?
I just eyeballed it. Zero mods. I just had a feeling it would work. It attaches to the (flimsy) bumper which I reinforced. Two bolts go through the front where it attaches at the bottom which fits perfectly. Then there are two bolts that attach under the grille through the top of the bumper. I would not use it to push another vehicle but I have used it as someplace to grab - like when my wife managed to get it stuck in the snow trying to get in our driveway this past winter. And it is perfect to mount my lights, which is what I wanted. I like how it turned out.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by SLC Punk
calg3,
That looks pretty good on your rig.. What year chevy?
It is for the 88-99 Chevy trucks. Here is a picture on their website-

http://explorerprocomp.com/chevy8899.html

Third one from the right.

Thanks, I like how it worked out.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by calg3
It is for the 88-99 Chevy trucks. Here is a picture on their website-

http://explorerprocomp.com/chevy8899.html

Third one from the right.

Thanks, I like how it worked out.

Just so we're clear here... on the surface it just sounds too good to be

when you say NO MODS, do you mean you didnt have to drill any holes in the bumper or bumper plastic either or any trimming or anything? Directly bolted right up with no hassle at all ???

If you could post a pic of the upper supports that go to under the grill that would be a big help.

If the install is as unobtrusive as it sounds now, its a big win for those of us that need extra lighting. (and cool looks !)
Old 06-10-2004, 08:49 AM

There is another procomp bar for Toyotas. Its shown in the Performance Products catalog for $120. There are 2 people in my town that have these bars. It looks like the one on the Chevy in the second picture. They bolt on through the bumper near the grill and below the horizontal bar. 4 holes have to be drilled. The catalog say these bars are for second gens, but I don't see how they wouldnt fit 3rd gens. Even the 99's and up.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by COYOTA $x$
Just so we're clear here... on the surface it just sounds too good to be

when you say NO MODS, do you mean you didnt have to drill any holes in the bumper or bumper plastic either or any trimming or anything? Directly bolted right up with no hassle at all ???

If you could post a pic of the upper supports that go to under the grill that would be a big help.

If the install is as unobtrusive as it sounds now, its a big win for those of us that need extra lighting. (and cool looks !)
Good point. I only had to drill the holes to go through my bumper to attach it as I would have done if I was mounting it on the Chevy truck it was designed for. It comes with bolts, nuts and washers to attach it. No trimming required. No hassles. I will take a pic of the upper supports and make it available today or tomorrow, as soon as I can. Thanks, I am really happy with how it turned out for how much I spent on it. I know there are beefier options $$$ out there, Downey has a really nice frame mounted version that costs more.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the tip. I like the look but I'm looking for the actuall pre-runner bars. I need it to mount to the chassy to pass the local saftey/ recon inspection.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the tip. I like the look but I'm looking for the actuall pre-runner bars. I need it to mount to the chassy to pass the local saftey/ recon inspection.
In that case Downey might be your solution, they make a really nice frame mounted prerunner bar that they sell for $250 for the Tacoma. Use the Configuration #1 picture for reference. Don't know how much it would cost to ship to you, but I can tell you from the one I had on my '86 that they are very sturdy.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by COYOTA $x$
Here is a pic from the side:

Old 06-11-2004, 02:24 PM

I take you removed the grill to install the bolts. Kinda like it but, Im looking for more a protection device on the bumper. But I still dig, the light bar you installed. I also like the metal looms. Thanks for the pics and Ideas.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:36 PM

I take you removed the grill to install the bolts. Kinda like it but, Im looking for more a protection device on the bumper. But I still dig, the light bar you installed. I also like the metal looms. Thanks for the pics and Ideas.
Yep, the grille just pops off after you depress the little clips and then the bolts just go in through the top. Let us know what you end up doing with yours.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:23 PM

Any updates?

Quick Reply: Pre runner bar on a 3rd gen?