Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power loss under hard(ish) acceleration

Hey Taco Fans-

First the formalities:

2001 3.4L Tacoma, Extended Cab 4x4 5sp Manual ~ 137k miles

Now the issue:

Used the search feature for a bit, and while there was a lot on power loss, nothing that I found that was really consistent with what I am experiencing.

Everything is fine when I am in 1st gear accelerating, no matter how hard I depress the go-faster pedal. When I switch to 2nd, I can tell I am a bit down on power, but nothing to serious. When I start to enter the power band @ around 2800 -3200 RPM there is a very noticeable drop in the power, but slowly re-builds up to full power again. The RPMs don't drop very low when this happens, but the engine feels like it bogs down for a quick second. Same thing happens in 3rd. (Not terribly ideal when trying to merge and take gaps in LA traffic and freeways...)

I feel like it could be something electronic, I did have a CEL a month or so ago telling me to clean the MAF, and has not returned since. So whatever is happening is still within what the engine deems as "normal." I changed out the plugs and wires a year or so ago.

If I am going uphill, the drop in power also occurs at a slightly lower RPM range, which also tips me to think of some electronic load based sensor.

As far as when I experience the loss, looks to be about 50% gas pedal depression. Anything lighter is pretty smooth, but anything more will generate the power drop.

Thanks for any advice guys!
Old 05-18-2014, 02:39 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

When was your last fuel filter change??

Because of how bad the winter Chemicals are I change my Fuel Filter every spring .

It might not really need it but I want to get it off before twisting the lines off.Been there not fun at all.

You also keep up with changing air filters ??
Old 05-18-2014, 07:05 PM

Not sure when the fuel filter was replaced last, I know it hasn't been done since I've had the truck, and if the original owner didn't do it its time.

Funny you bring up the fuel filter... as from the research I just did on your clue it could very well be the problem. I'm running a K&N air filter, and the CEL came on shortly after a re-charge Which after being cleaned hasn't come back on.

So the code led me to the MAF, and from what I've been reading the CEL doesn't come on for a fuel filter issue, but perhaps they are related.

Thanks wyoming, I'll let you know how that goes! I'm going to get to it next weekend.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first start by cleaning you MAF elements, if you running a properly oiled K&n the MAF has a thick coating of oil and other grime that the k&n does not filter, frankly I hate K&n filters as all they do is keep the bugs, rocks and twigs out of your engine everything else passes right through.

If the MAF is coated thick, then your ECM is getting very inaccurate readings thus poor power.
please take a picture of it before you clean it!
Old 05-20-2014, 08:37 AM

Hey Offset,

Yeah, the MAF was coated... I had already cleaned it a few weeks ago, had a nice layer of black. Its shiny and clean now, but the power drops had remained after the cleaning.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You need to test your TPS againt factory specs too. Dead spots in acceleration could very likely be tps related.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
could also be a bad cam or crank sensor, if its not fuel system related, what kinda of gas mileage are you getting? fill up the truck, reset the trip odometer, then next time you get gas fill it back up to the top again and divide the miles by the gallons on the fuel pump, not totally accurate but reasonably within a few % I do this on every tank, if i see the average down trend for more than a few tanks from my well tuned engine average of 15.9 mpg i look for a problem.