Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

power antenna broken

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power antenna broken

i have a 02 4runner sr5 with a power antenna. it goes up. makes a bunch of noise. but will not go down after making the same noise unless i force it down.

How do i turn off the power antenna on the 3rd gen 4 runners?

Will the stereo still work with the antenna down?

thanks
Old 04-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by frohbego
i have a 02 4runner sr5 with a power antenna. it goes up. makes a bunch of noise. but will not go down after making the same noise unless i force it down.

How do i turn off the power antenna on the 3rd gen 4 runners?

Will the stereo still work with the antenna down?

thanks

The gear on the end of the antenna is stripped or broken. It will only make noise for a little while when turning the radio or vehicle on or off. The radio will work just fine with it up, but you may have poor reception with it down. It is usually an easy fix. You need a new mast (around $30 from the dealer). You must remove the nut at the base of the antenna, and pull the mast out. You will see it will be broken at the end.

I have done these where I just inserted the new one, but this can be risky if there is a big piece broken inside. The best way is to remove the fender skirt behind the front wheel...You will break the clips no matter how gentle you are, so pick some up when you buy the mast. After removal you will see the antenna assembly. Remove it and find a clean place to work. Open up the drum carefully and remove any broken plastic from it. Then re-install the mast and the antenna assembly. Don't force the mast in...I have found the best way is to re-install the assembly and then install the antenna extended and let it draw it in with the motor once assembled.

I have a 2000 4runner and mine has broken twice. Make sure you get the mast for a power antenna. I wouldn't force it down, because you may break more of the gear or some internal gearing.

If you have any questions PM me.

Last edited by nieuwendyk-25; 04-30-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:01 PM

im glad you posted this because i have the same darn problem. Im going to pull mine out tonight to see how it works.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I posted this somewhere else but here is what I did for the same thing.

Replaced the mast as mentioned above.

Installed a $3 pushbutton switch from Radio Shack inline with the antenna power lead from the radio (blue wire)... I leave it off (antenna down) when listening to cd's or sirius, or going through the car wash or low hanging trees. Haven't broken it in over 5 years now. This works for both stock and aftermarket radios.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:58 AM
Contributing Member

Mine went out yesterday... thanks for the info
Old 05-01-2007, 09:46 AM

Or you could take out the whole assembly and replace it with a Tacoma antenna (non-powered).
Old 05-01-2007, 09:51 AM

i have a black tacoma whip antenna available if you go that route
Old 05-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Contributing Member

cant you just cut a wire to stop the motor? Anyone taken that route?
Old 05-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

You could just unhook it at the motor or cut the wire at the back of the radio (if you do this be sure to cap it off)...I just don't like broken things on my truck. Also it might get broken by a branch or carwash (I never take my car through a carwash).
Old 05-01-2007, 10:28 AM

All you have to do is remove a little bit of the inner fender well (2 or 3 screws) and just un-clip the connector to the antenna. I did that last week and I cant believe I did not do it earlier.

Also, the 4runner has two antennas, there is one built into the glass in the rear so you will still have reception.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by vegaskurt
All you have to do is remove a little bit of the inner fender well (2 or 3 screws) and just un-clip the connector to the antenna. I did that last week and I cant believe I did not do it earlier.

Also, the 4runner has two antennas, there is one built into the glass in the rear so you will still have reception.
It is my understanding that the one in the rear window is only an AM antenna, is that not correct. If you leave the main antenna up and only disconnect the power wire, it will still work. Just don't disconnect the larger black co-ax cable.

They are not screws on a 2000 and the 2002 I have done, they are clips you will have to replace.

Also, call around on the price...I had one dealer quote me almost $70 and I ended up getting it for around $28.

Last edited by nieuwendyk-25; 05-01-2007 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:54 AM

Instructions
http://www.antennamastsrus.com/Instructions%20Mast.htm

They sell the 4Runner OE Power Antenna Mast replacement for $20.50. I haven't bought from them but looking at the picture looks just like the one I got at a dealer for $36.

Wheel well liner clips are hard to remove. I removed a couple of screws and clips on the inner part of the liner and bent/pulled/held that liner outward. The liner bends back in place when you let go.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

Mine was broken as well. I went to the dealer, I mean stealer, and they wanted 50 bucks for my broken antenna mast. I found one on E-bay for my model and year for $20 bucks. Ordered it, installed it and it worked great for a while; until I pulled into the garage with the antenna up. AAAAaaaahhhhh! Talk about frustrating. So, I got it to go down, and I just listen to my XM radio now.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:15 AM

I replaced my mast a few weekends back. The nylon cord broke off and it wouldnt retract. The chunk is still in the motor assembly so my new antenna woun't go down all the way. Its one of those "I'll take care of it later" kind of things.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by gilby4runner
cant you just cut a wire to stop the motor? Anyone taken that route?

Yes - you can cut the power antenna wire as it leaves the radio. You can also unplug the power wire from the antenna motor above the wheel well. In each case, you'll have to remove a plastic panel to get to the wire. I replaced the power antenna mast once. Then I later did the whip antenna mod. I didn't like the antenna retracting every time I played a CD, and I wanted a permanent fix.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:20 PM

i just installed the whip antenna...it's so much better than dealing w/ the power antenna that will just fail.

The clips on the inside of the fender well are a pain but manageable.

Helps to have a second set of hands feed the new antenna wire through the cabin. I used a coat hanger and had my chick feed that through to me inside the cabin. Worked well.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tark
I used a coat hanger and had my chick feed that through to me inside the cabin. Worked well.
That is why I chose to fix my antenna, I didn't have a "Chick" feed the wire through. So it crawled through the hole in the firewall and then pulled the antenna wire through? Did they lose any feathers going through the fire wall...that could be a fire hazard!

For your sake, I hope your "chick" is not reading this!

Old 05-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

Bought a new mast for mine the other day. Pulled the original mast out and it was broken and tristed in the motor. I went ahead and pulled the inner fender out and took the motor apart. It was a simple process except for the clips that hold the inner fender in place. PITA!!! Once i figured out the easiest way of getting them off it was a breeze.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

Bought a new mast for mine the other day. Pulled the original mast out and it was broken and tristed in the motor. I went ahead and pulled the inner fender out and took the motor apart. It was a simple process except for the clips that hold the inner fender in place. PITA!!! Once i figured out the easiest way of getting them off it was a breeze.
How did you like the black sticky tar they sealed the case with?
Old 05-24-2007, 06:10 PM

My antenna was giving me the same problem as mentioned above. I ripped the antenna and the motor out without having to take off the fender flares, but yeah the black fender lining clips are a PITA... Left mine out.

Quick Reply: power antenna broken