Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Post-Stereo Installation Electrical Weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post-Stereo Installation Electrical Weirdness

OK, I just picked up a 2001 SR5 Dorado Gold Pearl Runner. It's a BEAUTY. Love, love, love it...(will post pics later). I'm in the process of retiring the 92 rig...she's served me well.

So,I had stereo gear that I wanted to put into the 01. Here's how it went:

Pioneer deck - got the right harness, soldered it...works fine. Ran new wire to the fronts.

Component speakers in doors. Still looking for a place for the crossover on passenger side, but they work fine. Again, all new speaker wire.

I had some JVC speakers in the rear of my 1992, so I pulled them out to put in to the rear doors of the 01. That is, apparently, when everything went to hell. I decided to just use the stock wiring. So I cut the harness off of the rear speakers and hooked them up. Got absolutely NO sound from any speakers. Since I was just testing it, I decided to check the connections to make sure they were good. When I disconnected the driver's side rear, the sound came back in all the other speakers.

It seems like these stock speaker wires do more than just bring sound to the rears. Apparently, they serve as ground for something somewhere. I just can't figure out where!

But when I connect the driver's side rear speaker, the whole thing shorts out and there is no sound.

And now, none of the windows roll down and the power locks don't work either! The turn signals work and it starts fine, but something has gone FUBAR and I just can't figure it out.

Please help! Nightfall is coming and I want to have this whole thing buttoned up before sunset.

Any ideas?? Please!
Old 04-15-2007, 04:33 PM

sounds to me that you have a grounded wire on the drivers rear speaker connection. when you disconnect it so sound comes back on are you doing that at the speaker or behind the radio?

Check to make sure that the speaker termanals are not touching metal, each other, or the little wires that go from the speaker terminal to inside the speaker(also called spider wires) are not touching each other or the speaker basket.

Unless you connected to the wrong wires... Then you have a whole other problem.

As for the windows and locks.... Did they work after you ran new wires into the doors? Did you hook the switches in the door back up? Did you check the window lock switch? Blown fuse? Double check all the obvious things i just listed. Then check to make sure you didn't unplug any plugs in the kick panel or even worse cut a wire.

Take a look again.

PM me with questions if you need.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:34 PM

First of all, I love the avatar.

Chances are that you have a bad speaker. Pioneer radios will shut down thier internal amp when a speaker wire becomes shorted or grounded. You may have a shorted voicecoil. The terminals on the speaker may be shorted to the basket of the speaker. These are the first things I would check. With everything hooked up, you should here a slight tick or pop sound come from the speaker that is causing the problem. It may be hard to hear, but it will be there when the deck is turned on. As soon as the deck sees the problem, it will make this sound and shut down it's internal amplifier. Check it out and let us know what you find. Hope this helps.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:38 PM

[QUOTE=rbh261;50501823 With everything hooked up, you should here a slight tick or pop sound come from the speaker that is causing the problem. It may be hard to hear, but it will be there when the deck is turned on. [/QUOTE]

Good hint! That little pop is a great tell.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by GregStevens

Pioneer deck - got the right harness, soldered it...works fine.
There seems to be a bit of a contradiction here. The "right harness" would never require soldering.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

By the 'right harness,' I mean the 'correct' one. I had to solder the one from the deck to match the stock harness. That's what I meant...sorry.

Tron, you did the trick for me...thanks! It was my own mistake that caused the whole thing...almost. When I was taking those stupid connectors for the speaker wires on the drivers rear (the old connectors), I broke the block that they are soldered on to. And the 'fix' that I came up with didn't hold. The speaker was shorting out as the positive was making contact with the metal on the speaker. I had forgotten about that until I was all done. But I soldered it in place and it's working fine now...

EXCEPT!

I still don't have functioning power windows and I noticed the clock isn't working now! i'm sure I connected all the harnesses everywhere...the doors, the dash...all of them. So I'm going to check fuses tomorrow and if that's not the issue, I'll have to recheck the harnesses.

The power locks don't work on the driver's side, but the pass. side, they do. That leads me to believe there is something not connected on the driver's side door. Hell, I may go check it again now...I've become a freakin' expert in taking the door panels off!

Thanks for the tips...YT is great! I can always count on you guys when I screw something up!

Old 04-15-2007, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
hmm double check all your wires i installed all new speakers in mine everything workes just fine