Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Possible electrical probs with runner?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 02:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Possible electrical probs with runner?

I just got this thing last week with 114,000 miles. Having some puzzling issues...wondering if anyone has had the same or had some suggestions...thanks..

"I was trying to go camping yesterday and was in the middle of nowhere...shut the vehicle off and it wouldnt restart for a few minutes (scared the crap out of me) When it did start, the fuel gauge read BELOW empty (which scared me even more, because I was in the middle of nowhere) I drove it to see how far I could go and the guage slowly started creeping up....ok..ok..fast forward to this afternoon...I was going to lunch, go out to my car (in the middle of the city) and it is RUNNING by itself, no keys in ignition, ignition in OFF position and doors are locked. I'm sitting here going, "how do i stop this thing?", tap the brakes and it dies. any suggestions? "
Old 11-15-2007, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you have an after market remote starter and maybe alarm in it. The remote starter must be malfunctioning if it started on it's own, when u tapped the break it shut it off. The other time that is didn't start that was the starter kill being enabled not allowing you to start the truck. I would take it to an audio shop around you and have them take a look and se if they can figure out what's installed and what's it the issue is. You can have it fixed and get the remotes if you don't have them or just have them remove it.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by One_96TR4
Sounds like you have an after market remote starter and maybe alarm in it. The remote starter must be malfunctioning if it started on it's own, when u tapped the break it shut it off. The other time that is didn't start that was the starter kill being enabled not allowing you to start the truck. I would take it to an audio shop around you and have them take a look and se if they can figure out what's installed and what's it the issue is. You can have it fixed and get the remotes if you don't have them or just have them remove it.
thanks for the quick reply..that is definitely a possibility.. that was my first thought today when i went out and it was running...i was like "oh, its got remote start!" but it just came with the stock toyota key remote. It still wouldnt explain the issue with the fuel gauge though
Old 11-15-2007, 03:49 PM

ok, so i have another question for anyone that knows about remote starters...ok...say u start it with the remote, go to your car, drive off...right....the ignition switch is in "OFF" postition correct? with no key in it....ok

when you arrive at your destination, how do you turn the truck off?

thanks in advance for your help
Old 11-15-2007, 04:18 PM

No, you typically have to put the key in and turn it to the ON position if you want to go somewhere....otherwise when u touch the brake it will always die.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
It still wouldnt explain the issue with the fuel gauge though
It probably only came with the original remote because the remote start one's broke or they stopped working and they other owner never replaced them. The fuel gauge is a little funny but they are kinda slow sometimes and take a while to creep upto the proper position. I also remember reading about a few ppl having issues with the float in the tank the works the gauge.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:29 PM

thanks again for the help guys....

I really appreciate it
Old 11-16-2007, 02:39 PM

i think i got my problem sorted out....turns out that there was a remote starter installed by a PO that neither I nor the Toyota dealer knew about.....I was freakin out all day yesterday at work...got home looked under driver kick panel and there she was...the magical relay box....

So, I took it to the dealer and had them take it out! Dont want my catchin on fire, leaving me stranded, etc....

I have talked to a couple people that have had the fuel float stick in the tank when off roading due ot off camber so im pretty sure thats what that is..... thanks for the help guys
Old 11-16-2007, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just FYI there are remote start systems out there that utilize the factory remote too. Usually you hit LOCK - UNLOCK - LOCK or a similar pattern and it will start. So it is possible that you may have accidentally activated it with the factory remote too.