Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Poeple Need To Learn how To Drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poeple Need To Learn how To Drive

Sunday morning I'm getting on the parkway, there is another car a good five car lengths ahead of me. I look over my shoulder to check traffic and BAM. The moron had stopped. Entrance ramp to the parkway and they stop! 9:30 in the morning no traffic! Boy was I pissed. Good thing I was only doin about 10-15 MPH.

Bad news is I need a new bumper and valance under the bumper as well as a new brush guard. I just don't understnad how some people get their drivers license?

I have to admit I was a bit dissappointed in how much damage I had. The car I hit was an Audi and all they had was a scuffed bumper.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:12 AM

I don't want to say that it was necessarily all your fault, but it really sounds like it is at least partly yours. It's your responsibility to be aware of the car in front of you, and you have side view mirrors to facilitate seeing behind you.

I understand, the Audi probably shouldn't have stopped, but it sounds like both parties share the blame on this one.

Chrome doesn't "bounce" back, unfortunately, the same way the audi's does.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:57 AM

Hey I understand that anytime you wack someone from behind it's your fault, but come on, it's an on ramp, there was no traffic, why would you stop?

That's my frustration. I'm just thankful i wasn't going too fast.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:15 AM

While going up to pick up my now-wife for a date a while ago, I was doing what I normally do. That is to say, I was getting on the freeway, and as I proceeded down the offramp, the car in front of me just stopped, because the car in front of him stopped and so on. I don't know why the first car stopped, but as my 87' pickup I was driving at the time had problem with the carb icing over, I was in my dad's car. His car did it's job and stopped around a foot short of ramming the guy in front of me.

I thought, PHEW!, then *BAM* I got rammed fromt behind. The car behind me was driven by a tired guy who had just learned to drive. (immigrant)

I realize that I shouldn't have needed to stop, but the car in front of me did, so I had to. The guy behind me wasn't watching, and now his hood is a little off kilter. My father's car's bumper was fine, and it had done it's job. Moral of the story: Watch out! One second of not looking where you're going could cost you a car, several bones, or even a life.

Yes... it was odd for the car in front of you to stop. I'm glad you weren't going too fast, it could have been ugly.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:44 AM

Same kind of thing happened to me in college. Kids crap old car stalled in the middle of a right turn. All was clear to the left so I went to go and SMACK! They guy did not fix is car took the money and got some new clubs and golf shirts. So now I am always leary of the same situation. I make sure they go and check again befor it;s my turn. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
same thing (almost the same thing) happened to me like three weeks ago! no damage to my 4R and minor MINOR damage to her car which was estimated at $1300!! Anyway... I agree, people should learn how to drive!

here's my thread from a few weeks ago! https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/dumb-old-lady-48083/
Old 01-18-2005, 09:11 AM

You are most likely at fault though depending on the situation the audi could get some of the blame. F.ex. it is not legal to brake when changing lanes in California (my friend failed her driver license test due to it) though it often takes place
Old 01-18-2005, 09:27 AM

What did your insurance say? Did you take pics? If you had pics showing there was no traffic almost immediately after the accident, that'd help your claim a little.

Anyway, as to your damage. Brush guards generally cause more damage then prevent. But that doesn't stop me
Old 01-18-2005, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
What did your insurance say? Did you take pics? If you had pics showing there was no traffic almost immediately after the accident, that'd help your claim a little.

Anyway, as to your damage. Brush guards generally cause more damage then prevent. But that doesn't stop me

No brush guard I probably don't even hit her! Had no camera with me. Why she stopped I'll never know, there was no one infront of her from what i recolect.

Insurance company told me because I hit her from behind, I'm 100% at fault. Oh well Stuff happens.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:45 AM

"Hang up and drive"
Old 01-18-2005, 11:51 AM

Uhhh, did the car stop at a "yield" sign?
Old 01-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

thats why i never look over my shoulder unless the car in front of me has cleared, idiots always stop for no reason!
Old 01-18-2005, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by bdeakin
While going up to pick up my now-wife for a date a while ago, I was doing what I normally do. That is to say, I was getting on the freeway, and as I proceeded down the offramp, the car in front of me just stopped, because the car in front of him stopped and so on. I don't know why the first car stopped, but as my 87' pickup I was driving at the time had problem with the carb icing over, I was in my dad's car. His car did it's job and stopped around a foot short of ramming the guy in front of me.

I thought, PHEW!, then *BAM* I got rammed fromt behind. The car behind me was driven by a tired guy who had just learned to drive. (immigrant)

I realize that I shouldn't have needed to stop, but the car in front of me did, so I had to. The guy behind me wasn't watching, and now his hood is a little off kilter. My father's car's bumper was fine, and it had done it's job. Moral of the story: Watch out! One second of not looking where you're going could cost you a car, several bones, or even a life.

Yes... it was odd for the car in front of you to stop. I'm glad you weren't going too fast, it could have been ugly.
Immigrant? All cuz he was tired? Some people just dont think about what they say these days.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:05 PM

Damn, I'm sorry to hear about that! When I was 15 (yah, yah, laugh after my above post) I was driving my mom's new Pathfinder. Well, we were taking a right turn at an intersection with no yield sign because our own lane starts. Well, this POS Ford Probe in front of me with a redneck couple stops suddenly and they get in some sort of dispute. Then I hear a SCREECH and bam!, a young nurse in a POS old Mitsubishi Mirage smacks our bumper. Of course, the Probe drives away, possible out of ignorance, who knows, and we find out the woman has no insurance. So we paid our $300 deductible on our insurance becuse of the stupid lady.

We were told that two weeks later the woman was seriously injured in another accident that wasn't her fault. The insurance gods have dark humor...

Good luck, get rid of the brush guard and sorry to say it but I think that you are on your own.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:06 PM

So if you were only doing 15 to 20 entering the interstate and the car in front of you stopped on a dime how did you not see it coming or were you tail gating him?
Old 01-19-2005, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Yoter
So if you were only doing 15 to 20 entering the interstate and the car in front of you stopped on a dime how did you not see it coming or were you tail gating him?
As I said in the begining of the post, I saw them a good 4 or 5 car lengths ahead of me with no one in front of them. Assuming they were going to get right on to the parkway, I looked over my shoulder to check traffic and they either stopped or slowed down significantly because when I looked back in front of me I was on top of them. Never said they stopped on a dime and I wasn't tailgating them either.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:55 AM

In his defense there are some really interesting on-ramp's here on Long Island. Some are designed so poorly they barely are 2-3 car lengths. It makes getting on parkway's interesting. I understand his anger because I have had the same thing happen to me. Picture it this way your entering a major interstate highway you see it's fairly empty, you nearly always assume that the person who is in front of you will accelerate and then merge onto the roadway. As you turn around the curve if there is only a small space you better make sure quick you can get on, but there is that car just stopped. I'll make the same statement some people just can't drive.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Yoter
Immigrant? All cuz he was tired? Some people just dont think about what they say these days.
I didn't mean that this fellow was an immigrant because he was tired. We pulled over after the impact and shared insurance information. I was glad for my spanish speaking skills, as otherwise it could have been very frustrating. He had just recently learned to drive and I guess hadn't developed the reflexes and feel for driving yet. Nothing against this fellow as an immigrant, it was just the explanation for why he had just learned to drive. Had it been a 16-year old or something, I would have said the same. Nice guy though.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:48 PM

http://kare11.com/player.aspx?aid=10952&bw=

people suck at driving in the snow too
Old 01-19-2005, 12:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CMUpike
http://kare11.com/player.aspx?aid=10952&bw=

people suck at driving in the snow too
Why the hell are the jumping out of their cars? So they can be ran squashed by another slipping car.

Quick Reply: Poeple Need To Learn how To Drive