Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

plugs,wires,O2,A/F,and fuel filter questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
plugs,wires,O2,A/F,and fuel filter questions

Im looking at doing a "tune up" (I know, pretty vague). but I had some questions....

from what i've read, factory plugs work good, platinum is a waste of money and possibly cause problems. do the iridium(sp?) plugs get better mileage or peformance? are they worth almost triple the price?

I also wanted to find out about the wires, is there any bad by going with aftermarket, or off the shelf napa or carquest brand? or should I stick to the factory (new) replacements?

how bout the O2 and A/F sensors.... factory at over $125 a piece or does the napa replacements work ok and not kick another CEL?

and finally......I know the fuel filter is supposed to be lifetime ( yea right). is factory the only way to go on a replacement? or again, will a napa or carquest unit work/fit good? or is there a super secret high performance, extra special, the only one to have, other option I am unaware of?

Im tired of spending big cash at the stealership when anything from a QUALITY parts store would work as good as or better than factory. yet I know toyota designed it and the factory will work and fit 100%, and usually wont kill performance.

I figure at 93k miles its about time to start changing some stuff, and i've read about O2 sensors havin issues at about 80k. im hoping that some of you have had some experience with what will and wont work, and what works works mind blowingly good.

the truck is a 00sport, 5speed, 4X4, 3.4L, and california emmissions

thanks in advance for any help and allowing me to pick the brain of the hive.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
just grab a set of replacement plugs from the dealer and the wire set if the wire set cost to much order them from www.sparkplugs.com ether ngk or denso which are both great stuff for the fuel filter napa gold ones are good as ive heard for the o2 sensor buy one from www.urdusa.com if its not throwing codes and anit running like crap no need for one and clean the maf sensor will your at it too

Last edited by Elton; 01-25-2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just change the plugs and wires for now...maybe the fuel filter. For the plugs, the NGK stock spec plugs work great. I had them paired with the borg-warner wires from pep-boys and the 4runner ran beautifully. I would stick with a new Toyota fuel filter, but that is just my personal preference. If for some reason you have to change the o2 sensors...I would buy the Toyota ones also. When I replaced mine, the only ones I could find locally without going to the dealership I was told were "universal". So I went to the dealership and the factory o2 sensors were actually cheaper than the autozone and o'reily generic ones!