Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Please help with unusual key situation!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help with unusual key situation!

Greetings Yotatech. I've got a situation on my hands that I could use some help/advice on. Here goes: 1999 4runner

My wife and I purchased our 4 runner about 2 years ago and it only came with one key (the valet key). Tuesday my wife lost this only key that will start the engine. We did have an extra key cut for doors and ignition but it could not be programmed because we don't have a master key.

The MAIN problem is that Toyota USA will do a one time only ECU swap at no cost, unfortunately I've found out that my 4runner is Canadian. Toyota Canada does not do warranty ECU swaps for lost keys. I've talked to both entities multiple times as has my dealer and have gotten nowhere.

Does anyone know if it's possible for any automotive key makers to do something or is there a number or contact at Toyota Japan who could make this situation right. I feel it's poor product engineering to require well over $1000 to replace lost keys.

Toyota USA's customer service has been horrible, as far as they're concerned Me and my 4runner don't exist due to the Canadian VIN
Old 02-05-2009, 06:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Move to Canada? :-)
Old 02-05-2009, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
Move to Canada? :-)
Canada does not do a warranty ECU swap. Obviously this is a poor design because I believe the 2000 and newer toyota's are different. Not to mention that Toyota USA's swap program indicates they know it's an issue.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:23 AM

So was the vehicle originally registered in Canada? I don't understand what difference it makes where the VIN is showing. Have you tried local dealerships to help run the hurdles? I know people bash them here a lot, but I've had real good experience with them helping me look up codes for axles and transmissions. In the end they couldn't actually help me, but they spent a couple of hours of their time on a few occasions trying. I was surprised because I drove up in a 91' and told them I did all my own work........anyway, might be something to try, especially if you'll be coming to them for the timing belt later.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:23 AM

I am working in conjunction with my local dealer, that's where I had it towed to. They get the same response from Toyota USA and Canada. My service rep has been on phone as many times as I have and made a valiant effort but to no avail. I understand he's not going to work at it as hard as I am because it's my money were talking about saving so I expect to be the one fighting Toyota. It shouldn't be a fight but it is. Customer service is a joke to Toyota especially Toyota USA.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:56 AM

Check with a good locksmith. We get cars at the shop all the time towed in that are missing keys. The locksmith has some sort of device that is able to scan and determine what frequency the ECU is looking for. Then makes a key.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:24 AM

Others please correct me if I'm mis-guided here - I know nothing about chipped keys. With a standard key, each vehicle has a key code. It's my understanding that this code could be used by the dealer to create or order a new key(s). I would think that if you have or could get the key code for your Runner, chipped or not, the dealer should be able to just order or make the right key for you.

And I agree - having to replace the ECU to accommodate lost keys seems ridiculous. There has to be a better way.

But again - I know nothing about these keys and how they work. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by jdsdj98
Others please correct me if I'm mis-guided here - I know nothing about chipped keys. With a standard key, each vehicle has a key code. It's my understanding that this code could be used by the dealer to create or order a new key(s). I would think that if you have or could get the key code for your Runner, chipped or not, the dealer should be able to just order or make the right key for you.

And I agree - having to replace the ECU to accommodate lost keys seems ridiculous. There has to be a better way.

But again - I know nothing about these keys and how they work. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Apparently the '98 to 2001 4runners equipped with engine immobilizer cannot be fixed with a key code. That's were I want Toyota to admit the design was poor and fix this problem by supplying an ECU. I did find a locksmith who can send my ECU off to be reprogrammed for $425 including 2 keys. That's much more reasonable but I'm waiting to see what Toyota does first.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:10 AM

A well equipped locksmith can introduce a new transponder key to the ECU. There are devices that communicate to the Toyota ECU via the OBDII interface that are available, but they cost about $400 so not just any locksmith will have one. The cost for the service should be around $100 bucks plus the cost of the chipped key.
Option 2 is a mail off service that requires you to remove the ECU and ship it to them. That service is ~$300 plus shipping
Then there's the dealer option. Which when I priced it (in Houston) 2 years ago was $500 for a reflash or $600 for a replace.

Toyota uses a different approach than some. The Toyota method uses an active transponder key that sends a fixed code. The ECU is programmed to accept that code (and up to three others) to allow ignition. You don't program the key to the truck- you program the truck to the key.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:22 AM

Thanks RandyA and all that have responded. It's starting to clear up some but I've still got a ways to go. Anyone who knows of a Locksmith in Louisville, Ky with this capability without pulling the ECU, please let me know.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:27 PM

Dealer should be able to program new key . . .

I apologize if I missed the mention of any special dealer/Toyota restrictions due to you not having any keys, but here goes.

The day I purchased my 4Runner, I also bought a couple of extra spares key from the parts department - at Longo Toyota in El Monte, CA. It took the parts guy about 45 minutes, but he finally got the new keys programmed. He had a cheat sheet that he used to do the programming. They took blanks with a chips in them and cut them. Then he had to stick each key in the ignition, turn it partly on (engine was still off), do a series of back-door stuff - push in the odometer button and hold it in for a certain number of seconds, turn the ignition completely off, etc. It was almost 10 years ago, but I recall that since it took longer to get the extra keys than to buy the car. You might be able to find these instructions somewhere and do the programming yourself.

Hope this helps.

Steve.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:30 PM

Well, it looks like I may be making progress. After about the 3rd time talking to Toyota USA and having them want to give me Toyota Canada's number again I explained this was a Toyota problem not a Toyota USA or Canada problem. I politely explained that I own a Toyota and live in the USA, if she can't help me I want to be transfered to the next person up the ladder and will take it as far as I need to go. She put me on hold for 5 or 10 min and was very helpful after that. Apparently entered my VIN in the USA system and began working with my local dealership in verifying the vehicle is registered in the US and requested the part number for my ECU. Latest word is that it's on order so I hope it all works out and Toyota takes care of this properly. Looks like I'll be out labor for ECU R&R, cost of keys, and key programming.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:56 PM

Problem solved! Toyota USA finally entered my VIN in there system and treated me like a U.S. Toyota owner. Total cost to me was $289 which included ECU R&R labor, two master keys and programming. The dealership was able to program my already cut valet key at no extra cost. Now I just have to try to program my existing remotes to the new ECU. Anyone with a link to that process on a '99 I'd be glad to see it.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:14 PM

Damn, we paid more than that, but it was with two new masters/a valet/ and two remotes. Still stupid expensive though.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

I guess I don't understand why you needed a whole ECU for just a new key?
I had a '99 (granted it was US spec) and I had several keys cut with no problems at all.

Maybe I missed something...

Fink
Old 02-22-2009, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
I guess I don't understand why you needed a whole ECU for just a new key?
I had a '99 (granted it was US spec) and I had several keys cut with no problems at all.

Maybe I missed something...

Fink
No working master key to program with. If you own a '98-2001 4runner I highly recommend you keep a master key in a safe or lock box somewhere.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to see you got it taken care of. What a struggle just to get some keys...

I'm out of the loop on this whole issue around how Toyoto designed their keys...did they redesign it for 2002 4Runners? Just wondering in case I lost all my keys what'd I have to do to get another set.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
Glad to see you got it taken care of. What a struggle just to get some keys...

I'm out of the loop on this whole issue around how Toyoto designed their keys...did they redesign it for 2002 4Runners? Just wondering in case I lost all my keys what'd I have to do to get another set.
You would have the same problem as Hoopster. '02's have the engine immobilizer also.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bootown
You would have the same problem as Hoopster. '02's have the engine immobilizer also.
Ok, that's what I thought too.

When I read what Hoopster said below, I thought something might have changed just for '02.

Originally Posted by Hoopster
No working master key to program with. If you own a '98-2001 4runner I highly recommend you keep a master key in a safe or lock box somewhere.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Hoopster
None of my keys had the chips in them, I must have had a different setup on mine.
If his were chipped then I can see why that would be a problem.

Fink

Quick Reply: Please help with unusual key situation!