Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Please help...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help...

I have spent hours reading about this subject on these forums using the search option, but I still can't get a clear idea of what I'm looking at. My girlfriend has a 93 4Runner. It's a 4WD (as it should be), and an Auto (Ugh). Anyways her engine is shot, and we will be putting a rebuilt motor in very soon. I have had to pull the engine out of my 84 Toy, so I have some experiance, and my buddy is a mechanic who repleaced his 93 3vze about a year ago. So putting a 3vze back in would be no issue. What I was interested in was putting in a 3.4L instead. We live at 7,000+ft, so the 3.0L really lags here especialy going over the passes which I we have to all the time. Plus it is an auto. The 3.4L seemed like a good idea, but from what I can gather I will have to replace the tranny too? Plus get a $2-3k conversion kit as well? Is this the case? I don't have to pay labor so how much $ would I be looking at? Do I have to have a donor vehicle to get the parts off of? Plus how much extra work would I be looking at with this conversion, is it a real pain? I'm sorry to ask this question here since it has been covered to death but it seems like I get conflicting info with the search option. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by hockeytown9
I have spent hours reading about this subject on these forums using the search option, but I still can't get a clear idea of what I'm looking at. My girlfriend has a 93 4Runner. It's a 4WD (as it should be), and an Auto (Ugh). Anyways her engine is shot, and we will be putting a rebuilt motor in very soon. I have had to pull the engine out of my 84 Toy, so I have some experiance, and my buddy is a mechanic who repleaced his 93 3vze about a year ago. So putting a 3vze back in would be no issue. What I was interested in was putting in a 3.4L instead. We live at 7,000+ft, so the 3.0L really lags here especialy going over the passes which I we have to all the time. Plus it is an auto. The 3.4L seemed like a good idea, but from what I can gather I will have to replace the tranny too? Plus get a $2-3k conversion kit as well? Is this the case? I don't have to pay labor so how much $ would I be looking at? Do I have to have a donor vehicle to get the parts off of? Plus how much extra work would I be looking at with this conversion, is it a real pain? I'm sorry to ask this question here since it has been covered to death but it seems like I get conflicting info with the search option. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I did a YotaTech search and found a full page of replies here . One way to make money on the swap is to part out the 3.0 parts.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Meet the experts on 3.0 to 3.4 conversions.
http://www.offroadsolutions.com/meetthestaff.htm
Old 01-12-2005, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

Red Wings Suck! Go BLUES!

Where in Dtown do ya live? I graduated from UofD back in '99
Old 01-12-2005, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

Actually I'm in Colorado now (Home of the devil Avs ). When I lived in Motown I was on the East side (Old English Village) off East Warren Drive(Home of Mr. T!!! ).
Old 01-12-2005, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

Well, by the looks of it I will need to find a donor 4runner, and get the engine and tranny off of it. What the hell is the point of that?!? Why rip it out? If I had a 3rd gen 4Runner I'd drive it instead. If I find one at a salvage yard I would be concerned about the condition of the engine and tranny. Plus I'm not close to any large cities, the chance of finding a wrecked 3rd gen are slim. Apparently the tranny and engine have to come off the same truck, so I can't get a rebuilt set up? LAME!! At least this is the jest of what I've read. I've been looking over these threads for days, and in everyone people seem to have different ideas on how this swap is/can be done. The biggest obstacle I think I'd have is finding an engine/tranny combo from the same truck. How could I do this? Man I feel like an idiot !
Old 01-12-2005, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hockeytown9
Well, by the looks of it I will need to find a donor 4runner, and get the engine and tranny off of it. What the hell is the point of that?!? Why rip it out? If I had a 3rd gen 4Runner I'd drive it instead. If I find one at a salvage yard I would be concerned about the condition of the engine and tranny. Plus I'm not close to any large cities, the chance of finding a wrecked 3rd gen are slim. Apparently the tranny and engine have to come off the same truck, so I can't get a rebuilt set up? LAME!! At least this is the jest of what I've read. I've been looking over these threads for days, and in everyone people seem to have different ideas on how this swap is/can be done. The biggest obstacle I think I'd have is finding an engine/tranny combo from the same truck. How could I do this? Man I feel like an idiot !
I know what you mean, the hassle and costs really seem like it is greater than the gain to me too. That's why I still have a 3.slow. If I just happened to find totalled donor 4x4 truck with low miles and the engine and tranny and ECU aren't damaged I'd consider this swap. But other wise I can't see it happening.