Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Plastic bits in oil pan on a 3.4

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plastic bits in oil pan on a 3.4

So what can you tell me? I've seen similar reports of plastic bits in the oil pan on motors with timing chains due to worn chain guides, but to my knowledge the 3.4 uses a belt. What I don't know is if the same culprit applies. Engine internals aren't my strong suit. Looking for a little education here, please.

I discovered the blue plastic bits in my oil catch pan today when I was doing a routine oil change. It almost looks like the same plastic that the cap of a cheapo Bic ballpoint pen is made of. Maybe slightly more rigid- it's hard to tell, being tiny little pieces. Whether it came out of the filter or the oil pan itself, I do not know. Didn't notice until I had already drained both. I can provide more specific info at request, if that's needed.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possibly shaved off pieces from a plastic oil filler funnel base.

I would cut open the used oil filter at the base and see if any more are present in the oil pronto.

If you do find more in it, the plastic pieces may be from the filter itself. I saw the results of an Orange Kiss of Death filter (Fram) implode, then empty itself into an old GM 4.3 engine. Not good for the internals. Regardless, I'd do a short oil change (500 -1000 miles) and see if I saw them again. If you have access to a borascope, look through the oil filler cap.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
the only thing blue that i can think of that should be on an engine are Felpro gaskets. do you by chance have any intalled that you know of?
Old 05-10-2010, 06:53 AM

Don't know about the gasket situation. I'm the second owner, but I've only had it for a year. I know the engine's been replaced several years back, well before I bought it. Might be aftermarket gaskets on it.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by J2F42C
Possibly shaved off pieces from a plastic oil filler funnel base.

I would cut open the used oil filter at the base and see if any more are present in the oil pronto.

If you do find more in it, the plastic pieces may be from the filter itself. I saw the results of an Orange Kiss of Death filter (Fram) implode, then empty itself into an old GM 4.3 engine. Not good for the internals. Regardless, I'd do a short oil change (500 -1000 miles) and see if I saw them again. If you have access to a borascope, look through the oil filler cap.
Will do. It was a mobil 1 filter, synthetic oil. Co-worker thinks possibly someone before me dropped/lost one of the safety seal rings off of a quart of oil down the filler opening and it's just now working it's way out.

I'll go home after work today and cut the old filter open, see what I can see.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:54 AM

Just to ask the obvious question: you're sure the drain pain didn't already have the little bits of plastic in them from sitting in the garage or whatever?
Old 05-10-2010, 09:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My question is how soft or firm it is in the pic it looks as if it could be blue RTV so if it is soft then that is probable, but if it is a harder plastic like substance then ????
and either way I second the short oil change method!!

Advance has a good deal on full synthetic oil change!!
Old 05-10-2010, 09:29 AM

I had the same thought about the ring off the oil bottle. Some of them are supposed to stay on the neck, others stay attached to the cap. It is almost certainly not the timing belt, as that is not inside the oiled part of the engine as is a timing chain. It is external to the motor, but covered.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by pendrag
Just to ask the obvious question: you're sure the drain pain didn't already have the little bits of plastic in them from sitting in the garage or whatever?
First I've seen of it, and aside from the first oil change when I got it (took it to the dealership for a once-over), I've done all the oil changes myself. I'm certain that there have been no visible bits in previous changes. The catch pan itself lives under my tool cabinet when not in use, and it's a snug fit up against a solid sheet metal bottom. If it was older, I'd say maybe... but both the catch pan and the tool cabinet are pretty new, and I haven't done any trimming/cutting/snapping off of anything with blue plastic parts anywhere near it. No mice, either.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by eddieleephd
My question is how soft or firm it is in the pic it looks as if it could be blue RTV so if it is soft then that is probable, but if it is a harder plastic like substance then ????
and either way I second the short oil change method!!

Advance has a good deal on full synthetic oil change!!
It's pretty firm. The plastic reminds me almost of the plastic that they use on the crimp ends of electrical spade connectors. Or that of a milk jug cap. Not malleable really at all.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by The Ruckus
It's pretty firm. The plastic reminds me almost of the plastic that they use on the crimp ends of electrical spade connectors. Or that of a milk jug cap. Not malleable really at all.
then it has to be something that fell in the motor and got chewed
or oil filter got blowed up

nothing in that engine is that color -stock-.

i searched google for 'blue plastic in oil' and it comes back to you and this thread. so I guess
you will need to solve the issue, then report back to us, so we can tell you the problem.

you don't have an aftermarket plastic dipstick do ya ?

plastic in the pan is 100% no big deal. elsewhere though, could be a big deal.

pop the valve covers (well, that is a job in itself) but pop them
and if you see any plastic bits up top of the motor then you may have blocked oil passages somewhere.

Last edited by BigBallsMcFalls; 05-10-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:32 PM

That looks like the blue stuff that quick lube places paint on after reinstalling the drain plug. It dries rock hard and is usually smeared all over the plug and pan.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:26 PM

I split the filter part way open today. No traces of blue plastic.

I'm starting to wonder if it maybe came from something else under the body while I was working in the area. Taking off the skid plate, doing the reach-thru to get to the filter, who knows.

I bought the goods for another change. I'll do a short interval and see what I see.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:01 PM

That is good news, real good news. A short fill and drain of new oil should expose any more of the plastic IF there is anymore pieces in the engine.

Good luck, post the future results....
Old 10-18-2010, 09:50 AM

Update! 1 short change and a standard duration change later, no more plastic bits in the catch pain or filter either time. Looks like it was a freak occurrence, maybe the last of an oil jug safety ring or maybe something that fell out of the skid plate as I removed it. Who knows. Good thing is, truck is happy and oil is chunk-free.