Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Picked her up on the weekend????????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked her up on the weekend????????????

well i finally got to pick up my 4 runner on the weekend and when i was driving home i noticed how soft the pedal was, so i took it into the toyota dealer just around the corner and they told my the front calipers where sized and the e-brake.so i looked at the safety that was just done only 4 days ago. toyota wants $1407. to fix the brakes.anyone here in canada know what the laws are regarding this sort of thing.the dealer told me he would get it fixed and i could stand over the guy to watch so it gets fixed right,but he would be using after market parts
Old 01-12-2009, 03:24 PM

ive never heard of either of these problems resulting in a low pedal improperly adjusted rear shoes would cause low pedal but ebrake and calipers frozen unless the calipers r leaking would cause brake sticking id get a second opinion and most calipers r rebuildable and much cheaper if u do it your self when u say soft pedal do u mean spongy or low?? if u pump them up do u get pedal back if for at least a couple secs
Old 01-12-2009, 03:28 PM

Was it purchased from a private party or a dealer? Does it stop? If the pedal is just soft, could just be normal (mine could be classified as soft, but they stop fine), could need a fluid flush & pads. I live in the land of no winters (southern California) so I have never seen a seized caliper. $1,400 seems high depending on what is done. A lot of people are using Tundra brakes as an upgrade. Do a search, there are writeups. Brakes are not that difficult to do yourself.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 01-12-2009, 03:33 PM

if i pump the pedal nothing happens still the same.goes to the floor

i bought it from a dealer,

this is how the price brakes down from the toyota dealer

2 calipers $628 here's the brake down ( $223.24 per caliper and $210 labor )
2 front rotors $302 ( $98.90 per rotor and $105 for labor )
1 set front pads $216 ($95.33 set of pads and $54.58 labor )
e cable $210
service rear brakes $49.95

Last edited by canadiantowman; 01-12-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:34 PM

those prices are installed
Old 01-12-2009, 03:51 PM

Those prices sound rediculous, considering they are using aftermarket parts. I would definately take it somewhere else. If nothing else source the parts yourself. Calipers at Autozone are shy of $100 each. pads should only be about $50. Sounds to me like they are trying to take advantage of you...Hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:56 PM

ahhh ic so the pedal isnt actually bottoming out u just have low pedal because pads and shoes r low as a result of sticking calipers and seized brake cables go somewhere besides the dealership its much cheaper and ebrakes are not necessary tho nice to have and digital racer is right those prices are way to much and they arnt even using oem parts what asses
Old 01-12-2009, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep in mind that this is Canadian dollars too!

Originally Posted by canadiantowman
Take it back and show them.
It is NOT LEGAL to sell a vehicle that is not road worthy in Canada! If they refuse to service it for free, consult a lawyer.
When you buy a vehicle from a dealership, you are buying it under the terms that it is in working condition, and unless they told you that the brakes needed work, they are at fault and are responsible for the costs.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:16 PM

if i pump the pedal nothing happens still the same.goes to the floor

this is how the price brakes down from the toyota dealer

2 calipers $628 here's the brake down ( $223.24 per caliper and $210 labor )
2 front rotors $302 ( $98.90 per rotor and $105 for labor )
1 set front pads $216 ($95.33 set of pads and $54.58 labor )
e cable $210
service rear brakes $49.95
If you just bought it from a dealer, that dealer should do the work for free. Complain to your Better Business Bureau or what ever there is in the Great White North. Dealership cars are often required to meet minimum safety standards. Also they are charging you labor three times for the same repair.
1) Change the rotors.
2) To change the rotors, the calipers must be removed.
3) To remove the calipers, the pads usually need to be removed.

Labor should be no more than 1 hour per side, plus bleeding the brakes.

OEM pads probably run about $75-$95 per set of four (2 each, Left & right)
Labor is about 10 minutes per caliper if the wheels are off.

Front rotors take about 15 minutes per side if the calipers are off.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 01-12-2009, 04:39 PM

so ne one know what the exchange is for canada-us?
Old 01-12-2009, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by darksoldier313
so ne one know what the exchange is for canada-us?
http://coinmill.com/CAD_USD.html#CAD=1407

$1,407 Canadian = $1,165 US

Google it, It's not that hard.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:54 PM

Did you buy the vehicle "As Is" Some dealers will sell a vehicle as is and if that was the case I don't think there's much you can do. You can find out (I'm not sure how, but you can) who did the MVI and ask them about it. If it was bought under the impression that it was entirely road worthy I'd go back to the place you bought it from and tell them you want it fixed.

Motor vehicle regulations are different in most provinces in Canada just like they are in differn't states so someone from Ontario may be better abled to assist you.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:56 PM

yea i could have but then u wouldnt have had the pleasure of thinking im a lazy moron lol but i would deff tell the dealership where to stick it if they sold it as is and take it to a smaller shop

Last edited by darksoldier313; 01-12-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:57 PM

i bought it certified
Old 01-12-2009, 06:43 PM

"Certified" by who? Toyota? "Certified" normally means that a vehicle has been physically checked & is in good mechanical condition. That means it should not need a $1,400.00 mechanical repair the day after purchase. If it was Toyota Certified, I would contact your Regional Toyota Service Manager & inform them that one of their dealers is certifying vehicles with bad brakes.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 01-12-2009, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i bought it certified
All you have to do in contact the dealer and tell them what the problem is. Explain you took it to toyota and they have a break down of what needs to be repaired. I'm a licenced dealer aswell and since they sold it certified, it should be in driveable condition from the day of delivery. That safety is supposed to be good for 30days. Anyhow if they agree to fix it let them. There's really nothing with aftermarket parts. Most dealers and repair shops us aftermarket parts. You only really get OEM parts if you do it yourself and get them or at a OE dealer. If they refuse to do the repairs you can contact OMVIC and they will advise you how to go about getting reimbursed for any repairs you must perform because the dealer refuses to. I would not advise you drive the truck around much as is and get in contact with the dealer you got it from ASAP.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:44 PM

i did not buy it from a toyota dealer, the dealer i did buy it from is willing to fix it for free,when he called me tonight he was nice enough to inform me that he had taken it this week out to kingston and didn't think there was a problem with them.i'm going to take it to my friends shop in brampton for a second opinion tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:42 AM

Listen, You got this guy by the BALLS!!! He sold you a vehicle that was supposed to be certified, which was obviously done blind, so unless you had some kind of understanding with this guy, You could shut him down and he knows it, I would bring it back and watch them replace everything.
Was it one of those small car lots downtown
Old 01-16-2009, 06:44 AM

I'd be pretty hesitant about this dealer in the future. It doesn't sound like a lot of effort was taken to check the truck out. Although they sound pretty good to repair the problem, this truck shouldn't have been "certified" if it had that problem. That's a pretty big safety issue.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:59 AM

so here's the update

i took today off work to take it to the shop to get it fixed( the dealers repair place that he deals with)which i had a appointment for, they tell me they might get to it this afternoon and i tell them that i was going to be waiting for it to get done and i was going out of town for the weekend and was taking the 4 runner ( my dodge magnum really sucks in the snow ) because it's going to snow.tells me it's not going to happen so i leave and call the dealer and tell him that it will be at my friends shop and the mto are coming out to do an inspection on it plus if it is in need of parts for the safety they are taking the plates off of it and will need to get it fixed and re safetied. on the way home the lady from the mto calls me and tells me to get another safety done i said i'll take it to a toyota dealer and call her back, safety done (1) both front calipers siezed (2) both e brake cables siezed (3) the rear windshield spray not working. she tells me not to drive it anymore because if something should happen it would be my fault.so now i'm just waiting for the mto inspector to call me

Last edited by canadiantowman; 01-16-2009 at 10:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Picked her up on the weekend????????????