Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

PFC-Autozone brake pads?

Old 02-26-2007, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PFC-Autozone brake pads?

Is this the correct pad that everyone on the board is recommending. I understand from searching the part number was changed.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...%7ENONE%7C%7EB

BTW I'm replacing my Hawk HPS with these pads.

Thank you for your help.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

It seems like a lot of people on here are using ekebono proACT ceramics.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

Personally, I wouldn't recommend them. Here's why:
I replaced my rotors with Brembo slotted/drilled rotors. At the same time, I replaced the lines with braided SS lines. I also replaced the pads with the above mentioned pads. When all was said and done, I was expecting a 1000% (maybe a bit exagerated) increase in braking performance. Instead, I LOST performance. Braking distance increased substantially. Also, on trails on moderately steep slopes, I couldn't hold the vehicle there with the brakes depressed fully. The culprit: metallic pads. I then went to Checker and dropped in a pair of inexpensive organic pads and WOW! This thing stops now!
Old 02-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by HaveBlue
I replaced my rotors with Brembo slotted/drilled rotors. At the same time, I replaced the lines with braided SS lines. I also replaced the pads with the above mentioned pads. When all was said and done, I was expecting a 1000% (maybe a bit exagerated) increase in braking performance. Instead, I LOST performance. Braking distance increased substantially. Also, on trails on moderately steep slopes, I couldn't hold the vehicle there with the brakes depressed fully. The culprit: metallic pads. I then went to Checker and dropped in a pair of inexpensive organic pads and WOW! This thing stops now!
You know, i have those autozone pads and am having the same problems, forget a panic stop! . (replaced master cyl, lines, wheel cylinders, pads, rotors and shoes!) i just picked up a set of OE pads, we'll see if the work this afternoon! i hope it works!
Old 02-26-2007, 12:31 PM

Sounds like I may be sticking with my Hawk HPS pads. They worked well though they did dust a lot they still stopped the truck no matter the situation.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:50 PM

Did you properly bed the brakes when you installed them? Here's a good article explaining why brakes need to be bedded: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedintheory.shtml

Also, drilled rotors don't offer any performance increase over blanks. In the old days of asbestos pads drilled rotors offered a performance advantage because the holes allowed gases from the pads to escape. But no modern brake pad outgasses like the old asbestos pads did, so there's no reason to have the holes in the rotors. Drilled rotors can actually decrease performance since there is less mass in the rotor thus less heat transfer capability. i.e. the brakes get hotter quicker.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:05 PM

The PFC pads I installed with fresh Brembo blanks last weekend work outstanding.

EDIT: with VERY little petal force...

Last edited by JHRRLD; 02-26-2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:11 PM

I am not sure what "PFC" pads are. If your 4Runner came with 16" wheels and thus the "heavy duty" brakes the brake pad many here use if the Performance Friction pads (available at Autozone) which is part number 4364. Their system will show that they are for a Land Cruiser, not a 4Runner, but we all know they work fine. I have had mine on for over a year and they work great.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:50 PM

thanks for everyone's help, I stuck with Hawk HPS pads. I have them on the truck now and was happy with them.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:54 PM

I did the search thing today at Autozone.

The old Land Cruiser (LC) number is no longer valid. Last used in 2005 (here in NC).
That part number is 05024.

The new LC number is 5020, but I do not know if these are the same pads.
They did not even have the 05020 in stock to look at.

The 4364 is the std PFC pads for the 4Runner. I tried these last year and could see the some 20% less pad area and easily felt the reduced braking over the 5024's. I actualy put my mostly worn out 5024 pads back on.

Help, I gotta do something soon!

I am thinking any of the LC 1996 pads should be interchangeable with the 4Runner pads. I will have to try this. Anyone already try other brands of 1996 LC pads?

Mike
Old 02-28-2007, 05:49 AM
Contributing Member

WOW, what a difference. I put cheap organic pads back on. now it stops on a dime and gives me 6 cents change. I spoke in depth with several of our master techs, (all came to the same conclusion, the pads were not grabbing the rotors) even had them power bleed my brakes but I could never get the PFC pads to stop me, they would slow me down but had no authority and almost put me in an accident. I had enough! I had replaced almost every part of the system and I should have followed my own rule, "go back the last thing you did" the "last thing" before the brakes went to crap was I replaced the front pads and rotors...... I had never encoutered bad pads before and have used PFC pads on other cars with success, so bad pads never crossed my mind. so now the only original parts are the rear drums, booster and hard lines...... but it all came back to the PFC pads not being sufficient enough! that was an expensive lesson!

Mike

Last edited by shiftless89; 02-28-2007 at 05:51 AM.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:24 PM

I have a set of PFC 0436-20's waiting to be installed on the wife's truck.
I went to AZ today and compared the 0436-20's with the 050-20's for
the Land Cruiser. The pad is identical, the backing plates are slightly
different, but not enough for me to swap them out.
So now I question if I should return them and just get OEM stock.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mwc951
I have a set of PFC 0436-20's waiting to be installed on the wife's truck.
I went to AZ today and compared the 0436-20's with the 050-20's for
the Land Cruiser. The pad is identical, the backing plates are slightly
different, but not enough for me to swap them out.
So now I question if I should return them and just get OEM stock.
in my opinion, yes, but there are some people who have had good luck with them, (including myself on other rides). I won't ever use them again.
mike
Old 03-01-2007, 03:21 AM

I second that opinion. Return them. Std PFC's were weak on my 4Runner
Also thanks mwc951 for the infor of visual comparison the new LC pads to 4Runner specific PFC pads. I was hoping the pad area was larger on the LC's.

Now what to do?
I may go organinc, or try TRD pads?

I really liked the 05024's, seemed so much better then oem. Oh well!
Old 03-01-2007, 03:37 AM

X2

I had the same problem the pads where so bad I almost had a accident.
I drove on the new pads for a week hoping that maybe they would get better but they never did took them back and put on some organics and it helped a lot
Old 03-01-2007, 04:10 AM

Here is a good price on TRD pads. No idea if they are the same as the 5024 LC version or something newer.
I am biting. Will let you know what I find
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...tegoryID=36059
Old 03-01-2007, 04:55 AM

so what would be a better set up on front brakes for a non beefed up 2002 tacoma?? the factory discs and pads or brembo solid discs and some ceramic pads ?
Old 03-01-2007, 06:14 AM
Contributing Member

The TRD pads listed above are the same as the PFC pads.

If you want a good organic pad, try EBC Green pads.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:31 AM

I'm going to return the PFC's that I have. If I go with the EBC's or whatever else should I go for a '96 4R application or the '96 LC application?
Old 03-01-2007, 07:43 AM

Current understanding is:
1. PFC for 4runner= weak p/n 04364
2. PFC for LC= probably weak (same size as 04364) LC part number 05020
3. TRD link above= unknown I have order will report findings

Sorry cant answer your question which organic's (ie EBC).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PFC-Autozone brake pads?