Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

part # for oil cooler gasket?

Old 03-21-2004, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
part # for oil cooler gasket?

i am trying to track down an oil leak on my 90 4runner. valve covers look okay, oil pan is a mess so i am replacing that seal ( diff is dropped already, what a pita), is there an oil cooler down there? i have heard mention of it in other posts but don't see anything in my official service manuals nor do i see what looks like a cooler. suggestions are welcome.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by tuquoque
i am trying to track down an oil leak on my 90 4runner. valve covers look okay, oil pan is a mess so i am replacing that seal ( diff is dropped already, what a pita), is there an oil cooler down there? i have heard mention of it in other posts but don't see anything in my official service manuals nor do i see what looks like a cooler. suggestions are welcome.
I've been in the process of replacing my engine. While doing so, I found something filled with oil. I wasn't able to find anything in my two books about it. I later took it to the dealer and found out that it was my oil cooler. It does need a gasket. I don't recall the part number but your dealer should have it. The oil cooler is located on the driverside of your engine to the right of the oil filter.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:18 PM

thanks for the reply

Originally Posted by Designsbyme
I've been in the process of replacing my engine. While doing so, I found something filled with oil. I wasn't able to find anything in my two books about it. I later took it to the dealer and found out that it was my oil cooler. It does need a gasket. I don't recall the part number but your dealer should have it. The oil cooler is located on the driverside of your engine to the right of the oil filter.

am i right in assuming that the gadket will be under $12 or so? is it difficult to remove? i still don't get how that thing cools the oil worth a damn but maybe i am too used to the air cooled vw oil coolers those things are HUGE
Old 03-21-2004, 05:24 PM

am i right in assuming that the gadket will be under $12 or so? is it difficult to remove? i still don't get how that thing cools the oil worth a damn but maybe i am too used to the air cooled vw oil coolers those things are HUGE
It's not too difficult. Mind you though, when I did mine, my engine was and still is on an engine stand. I asked what it would cost to replace the engine cooler just to see, it would cost $500.00 to replace. I wouldn't mess around with it, if you think you need a new gasket, get one.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

am i right in assuming that the gadket will be under $12 or so?
They are cheap. I bought one last year for a '91 (never used it) and it was like $8.00 Canadian. There is an "O" ring that goes with it...cast about the same. I can check the part number when I get home in the morning if you still need it then.
I'm assuming you're talking about the round thing that looks like an oil filter would fit on it???

Last edited by Blair; 03-21-2004 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:43 PM

that's the one

Originally Posted by Blair
They are cheap. I bought one last year for a '91 (never used it) and it was like $8.00 Canadian. There is an "O" ring that goes with it...cast about the same. I can check the part number when I get home in the morning if you still need it then.
I'm assuming you're talking about the round thing that looks like an oil filter would fit on it???

how the hell does that thing have any cooling effect?! anyway a part # would be great if it is handy otherwise i am sure i can figure it out with my local guy. so i have the front diff and the oil pan off, can anyone think of anything else to do while this much is open? any other gaskets i can replace?
Old 03-22-2004, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

Metal Gasket 90301-68005
Rubber "O" Ring 90430-20012

How does it cool oil???? Uhhhh....I don't know.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The oil cooler uses engine coolant to cool the oil, now well I don't know. There is one bolt through the middle that attaches it to the block. The two hoses going into it are for coolant, so if you disconnect them be prepared. The O-ring is kind of fiddly to get in if you don't disconnect the hoses and take the cooler right out.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:04 AM

muchas gracias

Originally Posted by eric-the-red
The oil cooler uses engine coolant to cool the oil, now well I don't know. There is one bolt through the middle that attaches it to the block. The two hoses going into it are for coolant, so if you disconnect them be prepared. The O-ring is kind of fiddly to get in if you don't disconnect the hoses and take the cooler right out.

thanks a lot to both of you, back to my beast of burden!
Old 11-23-2009, 12:25 PM

I'm in the process of changing my oil cooler too for my 92 v6 5 speed. i'm guessing the installation is identical? simply remove the hose and turn that bolt?

thanks for any input