Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Panhard Rod Making Noise - Clunk Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm beginning to wonder if I have the same problem as well. You say you can actually rock your 4Runner side to side to cause the sound to occur? If so, I might have to try that.

I can hear a sound that resembles the "clunk, clunk" sound you're describing. I thought it was my exhaust, but it just started to happen after I lifted my 4Runner and installed the new extended SS panhard bar.

The problem is, some bumps I hit, I don't hear a noise, others I do.

I've narrowed the noise down to definitely coming from the rear. I've also noticed it only happens when my rear wheels hit the same bump at exactly the same time. Similar to going over a speed bump @ 5 - 10 mph. The size of the bump doesn't matter, only if my wheels hit it at the same time. Even the slightest bump, like riding down the road on new pavement and then hitting a layer of old pavent that's roughly only 1/2 - 1" lower can cause the sound to occur. It's not increadibly loud, but I can hear what sounds like a 2 drum beats when ever I hit a bump as described above.

When just my left or right rear wheels hit a large bump independently of the other wheel, no noise occurs.

So could this be my new Panhard bar?
Old 03-20-2007, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess it could be your panhard rod but it is definitely different than my symptoms - mine would clunk whether it was one tire going over a bump or both tires. Pretty much clanked all the time - small or large bumps. Pushing up and down on the rear bumper, however, rarely produced noise - I had to take the hitch and shake the truck from side to side to really get a clunk, clunk, clunk.

You could try some of the suggestions in the above posts and see if it remedies your noise. Can you hear the noise by bouncing on it? Or shaking it side to side? If so - then take off the panhard rod - try it again - if no noise - you know it's that.

John
Old 03-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

the panhard bushings will usually only make the noise under side load, for instance being on the side of a hill and hitting a bump, or turing on the street on to an ubrupt elavation change, and rocking the truck back and forth from the side of the truck. I hope that tighting down yours works permently, mine would be quiet for about 3 months and then clunking again, but mine was completly worn out.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

If you don't address the problem quickly, the bolt holes will oblong and no matter how much you tighten them they'll come loose. I'm still running my stock panhard bar and have yet to have any issues with it.....
Old 03-20-2007, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTS
If you don't address the problem quickly, the bolt holes will oblong and no matter how much you tighten them they'll come loose. I'm still running my stock panhard bar and have yet to have any issues with it.....
So what is the problem then? I thought the problem was not tight enough bolts. Did I preface my first post by saying that the noise started back when I took out one of the panhard rod bolts several months ago to fit in some LC coils - ever since the clunk has been happening.

john
Old 03-20-2007, 03:51 PM

I'm fairly certain that I'm experiencing the same symptoms... Mine seems to go away (or is minimal) with warmer temperatures. On a very cold day, even the slightest pothole will cause it to happen (plenty of those in Boston). I know that the side to side action causes it as I can fly over speed bumps, and as long as I am approaching head-on, there is no clunk. Do lower temperatures exacerbate this problem?
Old 03-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
For the record I could hear mine doing a popping/clunking sound when I rocked the truck side to side, and only on some bumps as well.

Also during elevation changes from side to side.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:01 PM

you could always torch/press the old bushings out if they're seized in.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

mine did it like crazy when it rained for some reason...?
Old 03-20-2007, 09:23 PM

duuuuude, I had this problem tooo the bolt holes wore out the bushing, soo, i pulled the bar off and cleaned it up and put as much syn bearing grease as I could in the hole and put it all over the bolt and put it back together and tightened it as tight as I could. did it about 1k miles ago and have not heard or felt a clunk from it. I have one of SS's original drop panhard bars so I couldnt tell you how many miles are on it.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:40 AM

When I put my new springs on the rear end would clunk whenever off-roading, sounded like something was binding. Over time it went away completely though.... at least that is what I like to believe.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mpavolka
When I put my new springs on the rear end would clunk whenever off-roading, sounded like something was binding. Over time it went away completely though.... at least that is what I like to believe.
With that being said, my issue could be a multiple things.

For all I know, the noise could be coming from my new rear springs, panhard bar, or new shocks. Mine has more of a "hollow" clunk sound to it though. Not so much like a binding sound. I'm also considering my exhaust hangers, but the sound just started after the lift.

It's not a major issue, just something I'd like to resolve.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Klunk!

I heard the noise 2 yrs Ago a few months after I installed my bags and have not heard it since......after tightening of course

a week after I heard my noise........My buddy calls and hears the same after we installed his bags. Fixed with no further noise and his runner is a garage show queen. Kenny S

Last edited by sharrack; 03-21-2007 at 08:10 PM.